Close

FEP Senior Member

Default e7 heads on a 85 stang

i have a stock 85 stang. i can get a set of e7 heads (62 cc) to replace my e5 heads (68 cc) and if i did the math correctly the CR should go from 8.4 to 9.0 . from what i can gather this should be a bolt on replacement. i would like to continue using regular gas ( it is a DD) and the main question is will i need to replace the pushrods?

do not want to install rollers rockers or anything else. i get decent MPG and it is a nice running DD. hoping for a little better millage with higher compression. advice?

I have had them on my '84 for about 8 years. Straight bolt on and I put 1.6 roller rockers on with them.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Direct bolt on. Don't be afraid to clean up and slightly improve the heads first. Roller rockers are indeed an easy upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Senior Member

thanks for the feed back.

from what i have found roller rockers help when the rpm's go north of 4k. with 330k on the motor i seldom go that high. and when you leave stock then you need machine work to convert to a stud. plus 200 (or so) for the rollers.

i was thinking easy upgrade, one afternoon. but was wondering if i needed different pushrods. and of course a few ponies and better mpg.

Roller rockers reduce friction at every rpm.

Not a needed upgrade of course.

I think* pushrod length was the same but it is easy enough to check once the heads are on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 11-27-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I put some E7 heads on an 80 vintage 302 a few years back without too much trouble.

You may want to consider picking up a set of Ford Performance shims for the stock rocker pedestals just in case you need to increase the rocker heights slightly. They are not too expensive and handy to have on hand if you need them.

I found I had to shim all my rockers by 0.030 or so when I did the conversion but you really need to assemble your combo to see exactly where your at for lifter pre-load. I would guess it should be very close if your using a stock thickness replacement head gasket and the rockers off your previous motor etc.

If the opposite is the case and your pushrods end up being too short then all you can do is order longer ones.

Cheers

The E7 heads are setup for a roller cam and roller lifters and will therefore have a lot more seat pressure

The GT40 and GT40P heads found on explorers were also paired with a roller cam but that particular cam took a lot less seat pressure

It might be fine but I’d at lease measure seat pressure and look into what a flat tappet HO cam is supposed to have

Other option is always to go to Morrel linkbar roller lifters and a roller cam while you’re messing with stuff

Good point about the potential difference in spring pressures (roller vs flat). Does the 85 have a roller cam ?

In my case I did the roller conversion to a stock 95 HO cam with the retro linkbar lifters as well as the E7 heads as you mention. I also did the trickflow spring upgrade kit as well so had my bases covered essentially.

From what I remember though the general consensus was that the stock springs were quite wimpy on all of these stock heads including the later E7 and GT40's as well etc.

I suppose if there are concerns you could probably swap over the 85 springs onto the E7 heads. Not 100% sure but I think they would fit but may have to shim them too. However now the easy upgrade gets more complicated

The 85 Mustang 302 was the first year of the roller cam and it did not have roller rockers...nor did any of the following year models. The E5 heads on the 85 are essentially the same head as an E7, and in fact were carried over to the early 87 302 power plants. The difference is the combustion chamber size, which varied through it's production from year to year.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    thanks for the feed back.

from what i have found roller rockers help when the rpm's go north of 4k. with 330k on the motor i seldom go that high. and when you leave stock then you need machine work to convert to a stud. plus 200 (or so) for the rollers.

i was thinking easy upgrade, one afternoon. but was wondering if i needed different pushrods. and of course a few ponies and better mpg.

No need to convert to studs for roller rockers. The Ford/Crane are bolt-down pedestal mount just like the stock stamped rockers. I just installed a set of pedestal mount 1.7:1 roller rockers on my 302. No other changes necessary except for shimming each rocker for correct preload.

If switching to E7 heads, I'd at least get the exhaust ports worked on. They flow like hot garbage with the huge thermactor bumps.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Why not put a better set of heads on than the e7......you may not rven see a performance gain for all the work ....
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

FEP Senior Member

Money- e7 would not cost much- bump the CR and hoping that would mean more HP and better MPG. trying to keep that balance of cost and power and gas mileage.