Close

Default CFI build and fuel pressure

Just another 'for future CFI tuners' post (I know, they don't exist or maybe shouldn't).

As I have gotten my car all working perfectly over the past summer I have noticed an ever increasing issue with a miss at idle and cruise (not noticeable unless the timing is advanced beyond 10 degrees). At first I thought it might be ignition but that has all been upgraded now (and didn't affect this miss at idle or cruise). This wouldn't happen cold but would at running temp, this gave me the hint I needed in the end. Lean misses.

I had been running the fuel pressure at 40 for ages after the upgrades but as I got everything working perfectly I think this problem started showing up. I checked all the plugs this morning and it was definitely on the lean side (new plugs, maybe 50 miles on them). Brought the fuel pressure up to about 44 pounds and the missing is gone and it seems to run richer in a good way during WOT acceleration.

Timing is now at 19 degrees advanced (not sure I believe it, I probably need to double check TDC on the balancer) that was where I got the best runs on the last dyno day though. No pinging whatsoever.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 12-13-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.