Close

Default Need correct color dash pad for 86 GT

I need to replace my dash pad for my 86 GT. It has the gray interior. Looking at npd or lmr on colors, looks like there is a dark charcoal, charcoal gray and gray options. What is the correct option for the 86. Talked to a Ron at California npd and he was an idiot. Told me to look online

"Charcoal" is the Ford name for the 1986 interior color. The true color is a dark grey on the hard plastic and vinyl surfaces, the headliner, carpet, seats, etc. all have varying colors of grey/silver/charcoal.

The dash pads in question are 3 different types of dash pads and that is part of the reason for the different names and colors. These are their version of the "correct" color. In my experience, NONE of them are really correct and you will need/want to spray the dash pad with some SEM or NPD paint. (Pretty sure SEM makes the NPD paint). Personally the only dash pad that fits pretty well and looks "Right" in my opinion and experience is this one.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../181637/150502

That is the vinyl skinned version which is the closest to the OEM style in terms of how it's made. The urethane pads are huge heavy blobs of plastic that don't hold their shape and don't fit well at all. So my .02 is don't worry about the color as much as the construction with the understanding that the color is most likely going to off anyway. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The vinyl one you posted, does the color come pretty close? Looks like I will order that one tomorrow then if so

Quote Originally Posted by svtrichie View Post
    The vinyl one you posted, does the color come pretty close? Looks like I will order that one tomorrow then if so
    Honestly it will vary depending on the condition of your interior. It was close, but still off. Greys are funky colors to match IMHO. I have a pretty good eye for seeing colors and shades, so I am picker than most in that regard. I can often tell subtle differences in greys because of blue tones, green tones, and even brown tones. Others don't notice or can't see those, so again I probably too picky. The color wasn't bad or terrible from what I remember, but it just wasn't "right", but your experience may vary. Unfortunately the consistency in color wasn't perfect back in the 80's so what looks great in one vehicle will be off in another. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller