Close

Default Replacement hood source?

Hello fellows,
    I'm trying to find a replacement hood for my 86' GT. I know they make a multitude of cowl style hoods but I'm not sure I want a 2.5" cowl on my car and if I do get one.. is it going to be garbage? I'm currently looking at *Cervini* (probably butchered that spelling). They are rather spendy and I don't want to purchase something that's bad to begin with. I would very much appreciate any advice and/or direction as to who makes a good one, who makes garbagio, and even how terrible my spelling is.. Thank you all in advance!

Found this if your looking for a stock hood. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/d...233779626.html

Cervini makes excellent products. I have personally owned 2 of their hoods for my Foxes, One for my 98 Cobra and the one on my Super Duty. All have had excellent fit and finish. With that said, you will still need to do some final body work for the hoods to "perfect" in regards to flatness, nothing terrible, but they will require a couple of rounds of block sanding to get that flat mirror like shine if that is what you want. Otherwise the fit is very good and the underside is finished which is very nice.

Trufiber makes another nice hood https://www.trufiber.com/shop/1984-1...xtractor-hood/ personally I like the Cervini style better, but your opinion may differ. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by T top 86 View Post
    Found this if your looking for a stock hood. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/d...233779626.html
    That actually looks to be an 87+ hood for the Aero body. 85/86 don't have that much "nose" on them.
    1985 GT owned since new

You just missed an entire front clip for $350. I just looked at the CL ad and it's gone.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Yeah your right wrong link smh. Here's the one I meant to post. Https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/p...234781049.html

HO fiber trends makes a quality hood

Thanks for all the response fellows! I ended up going with the Tru Fiber hood. I liked the lines of it very much. I didn't really want a cowl but after installing it I realized that my upper intake plenum and 90 coming off my throttle body were indeed rubbing the stock hood. I've had a few clencher moments getting the stock hood latch sorted.. (pulling off the highway as fast as safely possible to close the hood). I think I've got it sorted now but at 70+ MPH the whole thing flexes and shimmies. I also didn't want to do pins but I think it's the only safe way to insure that it won't destroy the hood, window, and roof of my car.Name:  IMG_8841.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  328.5 KBName:  IMG_8850.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  191.1 KB
    Last edited by Oberu; 12-31-2020 at 04:23 PM.