Close

Default Ashtray Removal?

I know this is a very basic question but I haven't been able to figure it out. How do you remove the ashtray on an LTD? Is there a clip in the slide or something? I removed the bezel for the console and still haven't figured it out. I don't smoke so figure it would be better served as a tray, cupholders, or a gauge pod.

Thanks.

If it's the same as others, there should be a 'tab' or bit of metal that is on the top when it is opened. Push down on it and pull it forward and down and it should come out (this will be the tray part that has to come out to dump ash). This if IIRC should expose the mountings so it can come all the way out.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks! That did it. I kinda felt around for it before but couldn't find it. Knowing it was there helped. I was scratching my head quite a bit after getting the tray out on getting the rest of the mount out. There are two screws at the back but it still didn't want to come out after removing those. Just messing with it a long time and really pulling/bending the bottom up and out got it, then the top was able to come down some and it slide out.

Glad it worked out. I removed mine and mounted my coolant temp gauge down there.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I have a whole youtube playlist on converting my ash tray into a gauge pod if you're interested...I think in the first episode I show a little how to remove it. I couldn't have described it from memory - https://youtu.be/1DemVFZaLHw