Close

Thread: CFI and MSD

Default CFI and MSD

Just putting this here for any CFI folks in the future. I had been battling my stock worn out distributor for years, my rotor was falling apart and the only replacement I could find was a questionable aftermarket one on rock auto (bought it anyway), and it also felt like my PIP was going again.

I had tried a pro-billet TFI MSD distributor before and the shaft was too long and I returned it. I ordered another MSD 8456 TFI pro-billet distributor last week along with the MSD 8227 coil (new wires and plugs too, of course). I was all prepared to cut the end off the shaft (apparently some people have had this issue with 302s and high output oil pumps), however, it just dropped right in. I am now suspecting the first one I tried was the wrong model.

Got it all back together, started right up, runs great, much better at high rpm as well, I think my old one was getting a bit wobbly (maybe that is why the rotor was breaking apart).

So... if you have a CFI and want to be able to replace the PIP without pulling the distributor apart, and buy new quality rotors, the MSD 8456 might be a good choice.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Nice.

My Impco Propane TSB Handbook for 1984 said that the planned 84.5 and 85 M code CFi's are odd balls.

The Feedback 2150E 2-bbl 5.0s replaced the VV7200 carbs in 1984,

TFi started then as well on only those, the HO CFi, the now non Variable Venturi feefbacks. (Alough...the SSP Panthers still used it for 6 more years.

Not the 1984 SO CFi... for CA, it stayed EECIII and Duraspark III.

The freekin crazy exceptions make it really hard to get a replacement non segmented 8 gap reluctor wheel, because it has to be known what market, trans, Horsepower and exact intake system and exact model you have for the interchange to work. Im guessing the Motorcraft 2150E for 5.0s is yhe same as the HO CFi.

Aftermarket TFi replacements have been downgraded to a very dangerous plastic gear instead of Fords specially treated roll pin located OEM style. Unity Motorsports Andy Wood had his fail on his 600 hp 351W Casper F100 on the interstate, ruined his engine.

The 1/8 roll pin should be removed and over sized, and the well worn OEM metal drive gear sustituted. In Australia, the standard competition MSD's were always drilled and the roll pin upsized. MSD isnt the bad guy.

Its the industry who needs to change. A plastic distributor drive wont kill a cam, but a failed roll pin to plastic gear drive will stop the oil pump drive and miss time and then stop the car.

Do check the spec of the distributor gear. There is no anti MSD sentiment here, but check the part number and ask the supplier if the gear is plastic.

Its all loaded crap shoot. The spark timing pullout for idle should still work. Thats ECM fed.

Glad youve got something aftermarket that works well.

Do you mean the gear on the dist that hits the cam? This has the same melanized steel gear I had put on my old motorcraft.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.