Close

Thread: Parts

Default Parts

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and my dad, brother and I bought a 1980 mercury capri rs with a 3.3L inline 6 and was wondering where is the best place to buy replacement parts for the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

I guess a lot depends on what kind of parts you are looking for. Are these normal wear items (brakes, steering, suspension, tune up, etc), restoration type parts (seat covers, door panels, etc.), or performance parts?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Default Parts

Some parts we want to replace such as the suspention we want to put coilovers and we are restoring the engine but want newer parts that are used currently in the engine and also we want to swap the transmisson to a 5 speed manual and turboing the engine. We also want to replace the brakes axel and convert the lugnut pattern to 5 rather than 4 as well as putting a single tip exhaust on it.

Last edited by KLeMay; 11-17-2020 at 01:19 PM.

FEP Senior Member

For stock replacement normal wear items I use RockAuto about 95% of the time. Best prices and best selection.

For steering and suspension upgrades I would check out Maximum Motorsports. They aren't the cheapest, but the parts are very high quality. They also have a TON of technical information. You could probably spend a couple of days reading through all of their tech info. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/F...Tips-C588.aspx

Summit and Jegs are good for engine parts, but they may not have much for your 3.3L. I like that you are going to turbo charge it, but don't expect to buy a kit to make it happen. You'll have to piece it together and probably make some custom parts which is part of the fun of it anyway.

There is a thread in the Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension forum about 5 lug conversions. There are a couple of different ways to do it depending on your end goals: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...version-Thread

Transmission depends on if you want to stick with a stock T5 or upgrade to something beefier.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Well thank you very much this is very usefull and if I have anymore questions ill be sure to ask. Thank you again!!

FEP User

"...are restoring the engine.."
    a lill late to the party but no matter w/a restore.

May B for motor: fordsix and vintage inlines both
    on net (ford6 uses same VBulletin platform but is
    changing to XenForo).
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

I get parts from many sources. Helps to keep a list and part numbers
    New, used. Not fussy about year for most parts as long as the fit is correct or can be modded to work.
    Some parts are unique to the model and year, others fit many years and models. Some have to be made.
    Chain auto stores, NPD, Jegs, Summit, Rock Auto, online sites, ebay, salvage yards, swap meets, forum ads.
    Had to update certain areas, like the steering rack, to a later year due to lack of same year part.
    Parts hunt is an ongoing task. So is finding shops willing to work on old cars.

RockAuto is the place. i bought all my engine parts for my 3.8 on sale. i paid less than 10 bucks for a complete top end overhaul kit. A water pump for 6 bucks! Do I need one/. Not right now but for 6 bucks it can sit on the shelf!

you will find a lot of stuff on there cheap as hell.