Close

Default T5 looking for some options

I'm looking to rebuild my current t5 I have looked into the g-force and astro kits. Astro has been sold out but they have a gear set saying it will hold 350hp. Was looking at using that gear set with a upgraded main shaft. I use it was as fun/weekend driver never seen a track has stock block with cam and heads. Possibly a turbo in the future but still won't be raced. I know tremec is my best option but don't want to spend the money. Just looking for some options weather it would be a waste to even rebuild with those parts. Also all the t5 that I have broken in the past was snapping the main shaft thts why I would replace that.

I bracket raced my car weekly for 7 years making a total of 691 passes down the quarter mile. My car has around 400 hp, and all those passes were on a T5.

I can't say I didn't break transmissions from time to time. I had two T5's and when one broke I swapped in the other then rebuilt the broken one so I always had a spare. I took all the teeth off the input once and shredded third gear a couple times, but usually the damage was less intense. Keep in mind I was racing and on sticky tires, something you say you don't intend to do. I can't imagine why you would be snapping a main shaft as I never had that problem.

I'm now out of racing and using my car as you described, just as an around town cruiser, but it still has the same 408 and T5 as when I was racing it. I'm so confident that the T5 will hold up indefinitely now that I'm on street tires and not racing it that I gave my spare T5 to my son for his '67 Mustang project.

In my opinion the T5 can be stronger than most people give it credit for without having to go big bucks on a G-force or Astro gearset, although if you can afford it those are nice. With that said there is one thing a T5 hates and that's power shifting. Do that with any level of power and you will be replacing third gear before long and when third goes it takes the cluster with it, so it gets expensive. Since I was bracket racing I didn't have to be the fastest I just needed to be consistent so I never power shifted my T5's. If all you are doing is street driving I can't imagine why you'd ever need to power shift anyways.

The only other advice I'd give is to install a cluster support plate and use only genuine Tremec gears. Oh, and when rebuilding T5's shim them tight, as in nearly zero end play. You have to watch the gears as there are a lot of aftermarket ones that won't hold up. I always made sure the ones I bought were genuine Tremec, that's really important.

The whole time I was racing I always wanted to upgrade to a G-force or Astro T5 but I could never come up with the money, so I just kept fixing whatever broke on my basically stock units. I did get pretty good at tearing them apart and getting them back together as well as swapping them in and out of the car.

Cliff notes - I don't see any reason a T5 won't work in you intended application.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks I appreciate your response.