Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If on a budget and looking for best bang for the buck, Explorer motor all day every day.

Throw in the stock mustang cam, 1.7's and enjoy.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfarmer View Post
    I realize this thread is 2 years old, but this post was helpful to me and I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Background — I have an 86 mustang 302 that I pulled with flat top pistons and factory heads. I don’t know how many miles it has but it came from Florida . The cylinder walls are surprisingly fairly smooth with very little ridge at the top of the cylinder walls. The pistons are tight. All rod and main caps are tight. I have not removed the caps. The heads and intake did have a lot of carbon build up. The engine oil I drained was Carmel color and I am guessing one of the head gaskets was leaking. I want to keep the motor reliable and add a little oomph. I am running a T5 and right now have the stock rear gear. I have installed MM subframe connectors and caster plates. I plan to run coil overs and upgrade to cobra brakes. Will also do a little auto cross in the future.

Options — Option 1 is to to do a partial rebuild of 86 motor. Your post has me thinking about this, but was thinking about starting to rebuild a newer block and set the 86n in the corner. Machine shops by me are 3 months or more constipated and don’t have time for new work . So I really don’t want to send the block to the shop. I don’t think the 86 block needs machine work. It could use a hone, but might not even need that. I have looked at the TF 170 heads, they are nice and pricey. I am not sure what cam to use, but did see your cam comments. I have an explorer intake and a couple options for throttle body. I have speed density but can switch to maf. I also could get a different intake.

Option 2 is get explorer 302 motor that is in decent shape and build with mild cam and gt40p or aluminum heads, eithe TF or maybe Flo-tel. The risk is finding out the motor needs machine work after I get it apart. But the stock internals are more desirable than the 86 block.

Based on my summary, what direction would you go with my build and what do you think parts wise is the best bang for the buck? I doubt I will ever look into power adders, but would not rule it out.

Thanks for comments.

Aside from valve clearance, not sure what is so undesirable about the 86 (assuming you are replacing heads on an 87+anyway).
    If you are going to spend money on another motor that is only going to have E7 heads, you could use that money for E7's
    and a valve relief cutting tool. BTW, 86 pistons are forged, explorer motors are not.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...istons.644290/

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up an explorer motor and will get tore down for an inspection.
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

OX1 — I agree about motor differences. Ultimately I wanted GT40 or 40p heads and could not find any at decent price. I found a 96 mountaineer motor with 102k miles and gt40p heads with intake included for under 4 bills. So, I will tear it down and see if it’s worth using and report back. Still may use the 86 block…
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Aside from valve clearance, not sure what is so undesirable about the 86 (assuming you are replacing heads on an 87+anyway).
    If you are going to spend money on another motor that is only going to have E7 heads, you could use that money for E7's
    and a valve relief cutting tool. BTW, 86 pistons are forged, explorer motors are not.

Do you have a recommendation for a valve relief cutting tool??
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12