Close

Default Question about Door to Glass Weatherstripping

Hello all,

As you can see on the 83 GT, it needs door weatherstripping.

I am just not sure how to do it. Would I need to drill this rivet out, remove the rubber end, then pull the metal trim back?

Also, the rubber end, do they reproduce this?

Thank you for any advice
    Last edited by 83GTTops; 11-09-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Not sure on reproduction, but that cap is convertible part only (looks similar to t-top). To remove that piece you need to remove the mirror. Then I used a 4" stainless mud knife and my gasket scraper. I tapped the top of the door the laid the mud knife as close to the trim as I could. Then starting at one end, I put the scrapper under the trim and pried up a little. All the way down the door, then start over. A little each time, about three times through, and it should popped off. It it clipped to the top weld seam. It bends easy, go slow.

As stated above, the removal technique should work pretty well. I would definitely put down at least two layers of masking tape. Personally I HATE 3M Blue tape since it only sticks to itself and only when you don't want it to! I would use regular 3M yellow or green autobody masking tape.

The 4" mud knife is a good idea to protect the body, you can also use just a regular large putty knife too. Personally I prefer to use a wide plastic pry tool for popping the trim off if possible. You can pick them up at Harbor Freight and others if needed. The metal pry tool works just fine, but be careful not to damage the trim.

The last item is that your metal trim is specific to the convertible compared to the solid roof. So the best option is buy the replacement weatherstripping that will come with the metal trim. I used to be able to find the weatherstripping alone, but not recently. When you get the new trim and seal, pop the seal off the new trim and reattach to your original trim. The new trim will not properly fit your convertible and it's also crap! Not the same thickness and doesn't fit as well as the OEM. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

The new trim often comes bent as no one seems to care about packaging it well. It’s also the same on the ASC verts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thank you all for your advice!

As stated above, my trim was bent when they shipped it. However, what I further found out, was the repo trim is metal, which will eventually rust. The oem trim is aluminum, which will not rust. I removed the rubber dew wipes from the repo trim and installed it on the oem trim. They did send me another set when I emailed them pictures of the bent units...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Ok, so I have been looking.

I will need this. Will I take the rubber off of these, and place on mine? Right

To replace this

I will also need this

To replace this

Last edited by 83GTTops; 11-11-2020 at 02:52 PM.