Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The following diagram details which components the EEC relay controls and their order of operation.The EEC controls the ground which triggers the fuel pump relay to turn on and off,so its not a constant or continuous ground like most circuits.Make sure the EEC ground is connected too.Its the small separate ground wire that comes off the neg battery cable.Its usually screwed to the fender apron.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

There's a relay in that passenger kick panel dont forget its up high and to the left out of sight unless you're looking for it again it may not be fuel related but gives it current either ground or power

Quote Originally Posted by smwmustang View Post
    @stangplus2birds...you are correct and I will run through this order!

I am guessing the one wire that does appear to be a ground should be connected to either the firewall or the solenoid itself.Shawn
    The solenoid is case grounded meaning the metal backing plate on it (if present) or the rear side of the solenoid making contact with the fender apron is what grounds the solenoid,so a ground wire should not be attached to any of the posts because each one of them is hot like mentioned below. IOW- every cable and wire thats connected to every post on the solenoid is either hot at all times or hot only with the key in the start position,so you wouldn't want a ground wire attached to any of the posts.

*** 86-91 models with a standard starter ***

I) Large solenoid post with the battery cable attached is hot at all times
    II) Large solenoid post with the starter cable attached is hot only with the key in the start position
    III) Small solenoid post with the red/blue trigger wire attached is hot only with the key in the start position,but its a ground with the key in any other position

*** 92-95 models with a mini starter ***
    *** 86-91 models with a mini starter ***

I) Large solenoid post with the battery and starter cable attached is hot at all times
    II) Large solenoid post with the small gauge wire attached is hot only with the key in the start position
    III) Small solenoid post with the red/blue trigger wire is hot only with the key in the start position

(Additional)
    FYI - The diagrams below verify a ground doesnt connect to any solenoid posts. However,the red/blue starter trigger wire, at the small post on the solenoid,goes to ground when the key is in the accessory, locked or run position.It only goes hot once the key is turned to the start position.
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 12-04-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    There's a relay in that passenger kick panel dont forget its up high and to the left out of sight unless you're looking for it again it may not be fuel related but gives it current either ground or power
    Yeah I posted a sequence of events diagram in post #26 that shows everything the EEC relay sends power to and the fuel pump relay receives its key on power from the EEC relay red wire.

^^Thanks and great info
    I'm curious was it ever working and quit after the radio install kind of thing

My friends was a mass air conversion and the pump was not working so previous owner did a toggle switch... was like this for quite some time its my buddies track car

He made quite a bit of changes and decided to get it tuned by local very known shop

He was back feeding power from toggle and when the shop plug in to the eec it kept smoking computers
    2 computers later the shop refused to touch the car because its a yard sale

My other friend found a bad relay by the kick panel and this was not letting pump turn on
    This is factory 88 mustang wiring

This was causing the eec to short out and now I see why with schematic above

I'm not saying this is your problem but maybe a portion of that relay is compromised or loose wire or radio install spliced into it or one of the feeds and grounded or powered something they shouldn't of

Thanks for the info. I will take a read and see how it goes. It has gotten cold and rainy here so I was not able to work more through the holidays.
    FOLLOW MY RESTORATION ON INSTAGRAM @302_much

1986 Mustang GT Hatchback
    Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

^^Thanks and great info
    I'm curious was it ever working and quit after the radio install kind of thing

My friends was a mass air conversion and the pump was not working so previous owner did a toggle switch... was like this for quite some time its my buddies track car

He made quite a bit of changes and decided to get it tuned by local very known shop

He was back feeding power from toggle and when the shop plug in to the eec it kept smoking computers
    2 computers later the shop refused to touch the car because its a yard sale

My other friend found a bad relay by the kick panel and this was not letting pump turn on
    This is factory 88 mustang wiring

This was causing the eec to short out and now I see why with schematic above

I'm not saying this is your problem but maybe a portion of that relay is compromised or loose wire or radio install spliced into it or one of the feeds and grounded or powered something they shouldn't of
    Not sure what you mean about the radio install. Car was running fine and then the next day nothing. Still chasing it down piece by piece.

Thanks!
    FOLLOW MY RESTORATION ON INSTAGRAM @302_much

1986 Mustang GT Hatchback
    Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

Sorry about radio comment I thought I read something about radio install and this is where my comment came from

Diagram of EEC relay location

The quickest way to verify if the EEC relay is working is to connect multimeter leads to one of the injector harness plugs (harness disconnected) with the key on and test for voltage.12 volts should be present.If not,the relay isnt working.
    Last edited by wbrockstar; 12-04-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12