Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yup Another Hood Decal Thread

Has anyone tried this particular decal? https://lmr.com/item/LRS-N108SG/Full...ang-Gray-85-86

Is the color a close match to the original "charcoal" trim/decal colors?
    Last edited by Quikk86; 11-08-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Wel.... since I posted this about 2 years ago... I'm probably just going to buy it and be the guinea pig and will report back
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Glad I revived this from the dead eh? I was hoping somebody had already picked one up.

I may just say the heck with it and order one too, can always return it.

Post a pic if you do, and I’ll do the same.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

More than likely one of these two is the manufacturer of the LMR linked decal. You can check out their listings with more information. They both state that only the limited edition Red Mustang GTs with louvers had the matching gray hood decal. I had a 1986 GT with the hood decal and no louvers and the decal was definitely gray. Didn't noticed any remnants of louvers, but I did buy the car used. So who knows. I had a white 85 GT with the hood decal too, but I don't recall what the decal color really was besides I lived in Central TX then, so the decal was not in the best shape. I would say pick which one you like and just pull the trigger, very few will know or car about any differences. Good Luck!

https://graphic-express.com/collecti...blackout-decal

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk109.php
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    More than likely one of these two is the manufacturer of the LMR linked decal. You can check out their listings with more information. They both state that only the limited edition Red Mustang GTs with louvers had the matching gray hood decal. I had a 1986 GT with the hood decal and no louvers and the decal was definitely gray. Didn't noticed any remnants of louvers, but I did buy the car used. So who knows. I had a white 85 GT with the hood decal too, but I don't recall what the decal color really was besides I lived in Central TX then, so the decal was not in the best shape. I would say pick which one you like and just pull the trigger, very few will know or car about any differences. Good Luck!

https://graphic-express.com/collecti...blackout-decal

OOH! That gray sample is dang near perfect:
    https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk109-gray.jpg

I’ve read the same thing about the “special gray” being rare and only on cars with louvers as well. Who knows. I don’t see any signs of previous louvers on my car either (nor were they listed on the window sticker). I don’t care at this point, just want as close of a match as what’s on there now. I think i’m going to give the LMR one a shot - only one way to really my find out.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 01-14-2023 at 04:26 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I just pulled the trigger on the LMR gray decal.

I'll post a picture when it arrives for those interested.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

The 85 and 86 GT's all had the charcoal gray accents. I chose to get the stencil from phoenixgrafix and paint it on...but I was doing the whole car at the time and my 85 vert has the lower 2 tone charcoal accent...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The 85 and 86 GT's all had the charcoal gray accents. ..
    Yep. I'm looking for the closest match to charcoal based on what's available online from LMR, CJP, Phoenix, etc...Going to roll the dice with LMR.

As for removal;
    It's going to be a pain in the ass no doubt.

I saw this video, and will likely give this method a try if peeling with heat and patience (as well as adhesive remover afterwards) proves to be too time consuming.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfr-A_dmHfU

I'm not trying to save the paint underneath, since it will just be covered up again. Whatever gets me a nice smooth surface to stick the new decal down will work.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Yep. I'm looking for the closest match to charcoal based on what's available online from LMR, CJP, Phoenix, etc...Going to roll the dice with LMR.

As for removal;
    It's going to be a pain in the ass no doubt.

I saw this video, and will likely give this method a try if peeling with heat and patience (as well as adhesive remover afterwards) proves to be too time consuming.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfr-A_dmHfU

I'm not trying to save the paint underneath, since it will just be covered up again. Whatever gets me a nice smooth surface to stick the new decal down will work.
    From what I was reading...though it's been awhile...the installation of that sticker can be a challenge...
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

From what I was reading...though it's been awhile...the installation of that sticker can be a challenge...
    I've read the same. I wonder why folks have so much trouble with it...Surely the soapy water and squeegee method should work out fine?

Another member here recommended going to a local graphics shop for install....which I may consider. Would suck to mess up a $120 decal after all the elbow grease removing the original.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Use plenty of soapy water...and follow the instructions. I've done 2 hoods, and it's not that bad. Using the soapy water makes the process very forgiving. I THINK the last one I did was from Graphics Express.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Here we go....Some actual content for those interested.

This is the LMR "Gray" decal. Packaging was fantastic.

Original hood decal as it was:

LMR Decal 1

LMR decal color. I peeled a tiny bit back, this is the "sticky" side that would go on the hood. In person, it looks about as close as it could possibly be. The picture makes it appear to be just a touch off, it's actually a little bit darker and closer in reality. There was overhead fluorescent lights, and the angles were different here, but...my first impression is very positive

I started picking at the old decal, and to my dismay, with the right technique, it came right off - with minimal leftover residue. Don't believe all the horror stories you read on the internet. Temperature was about ~35-40 degrees. I used a little bit of brake cleaner on a clean rag and gave it a quick but generous wipe, and the surface is pretty smooth to the touch. I'll hit the area with a good compound and maybe some isopropyl to clean it up a little more before sticking the new one on. I don't think it needs a ton of prep from here. The fingerprints you see are mostly from the temperature.

Last step is putting it on (will update as soon as it's done). If you look just right and use a little imagination - you can tell the color is a bit darker even under the protective paper.

Last edited by ITdude87; 01-19-2023 at 11:28 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by Carbsovertech View Post
    Well….we’re waiting.
    I'm waiting too! LOL.

I got sidetracked doing a "winter tune up" and I haven't found the courage to give the giant hood decal a shot just yet.

I'm planning on taking a stab at it sometime this weekend. I'll post the results, don't worry.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Ok. So I gave it a go.

Don't buy this decal if you're looking for anything close to "Charcoal". Look at the advertising photo on their website, versus what the color actually is.

I peeled it off immediately and will be ordering the "Charcoal Black" version from CJPonyParts.com instead. I can deal with black. It'll look a whole lot better than this stupid thing. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.. It's entirely too bright, and clashed like crazy with the rest of the car and trim.

Last edited by ITdude87; 02-04-2023 at 09:19 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Wow, not even close. You should wad it up and send it back to them.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Wow, not even close. You should wad it up and send it back to them.
    Straight to the garbage can. I was so mad.

I emailed LMR about it, but I’m sure nothing will come of it. It looked good behind the paper backing, but once I peeled - it was atrocious.

Here’s where I’m at now.

Ordered the Gray kit from Phoenix Graphics (they swear it’s a match), and the test photos look good…..This is a little pricier than the LMR decal, but it comes with a matching decklid decal too. We'll see!!

I’d really hate to be burned again, but I‘m giving this one a shot.

Stay tuned for round two.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-05-2023 at 05:19 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I think I might have set myself up for disappointment.

I just searched the forum for "Phoenix Graphix" and I saw an example from a FEP member (granted it was 8 years ago)....And it also looks WAY OFF (too light) as well. Which is a little disconcerting....The photo examples they have on their website look good? I don't get it. Maybe they've changed it in the last several years...but wtf? What is with these companies and this stupid light gray?

Phoenix calls out several times in the description:

"1985 1986 Ford Mustang GT Fox Body stripe kit is the perfect statement for GT prominence with GT proudly shown on the hood. Kit is manufactured with High Performance, Automotive Grade, 2ml, Cast Vinyl. The best available. Red Special Edition GTs with window louvers require a special matching GRAY decal set. Our new and improved PRINTED GRAY matches OEM Factory original gray. This is important because same "Gray" is used on bumpers, louvers and other appointments. A matched system. Beware, others claim but do NOT provide correct coloration for gray. It is only achieved by printing and we do it."

I even did some research and saw some examples of red 85/86 GT's with louvers/2-tone - and every single one of them had the same exact charcoal stripe and trim. I have NOT ONCE seen this goofy gray used anywhere else. Where are they pulling this information from?

WHAT I MIGHT DO....

If this decal from Phoenix is the wrong color (at this point I bet it will be) - I'm going to hang onto it and bring it to a local vinyl/graphics business and have them stencil the design, and I'll pick out the color myself. After that, I'll return the decal to Phoenix for a refund. I feel like this is the only way to get it "right".
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-06-2023 at 05:20 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Here is the FEP post I found (from 8 years ago)

As you can see - The decal is definitely too bright.

This prompted me to second (and third) guess myself, so I picked up the phone and called Phoenix Graphix. I explained what was going on, and my concern over the color. The gentleman I talked to, Chris, was super cool and understanding about the whole thing. Chris told me that they have been "chasing this color for about 18 years"...Which, I'm inclined to believe at this point. I told him that the examples on the website looked good, but that I had seen the old post (see above) which gave me some hesitation. He took my information and said he'd check to see if he could send some actual, updated, photos prior to shipping.

Well, this is what I got:

The decal looks black under the clear liner, but as you can see - where he peeled it slightly, it looks good!!

Also - LMR was a good sport and took a look at some photos I sent (the same ones I posted above), and offered to refund me.

Double score.

Now I sit and wait for it to show up in the mail and give it another shot.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-07-2023 at 11:45 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I did mine over ten years ago. I chose the Black from Graphic Express as the Special Gray looked too light. The black is exactly that, black. So not a match to the Charcoal Gray of the original. Still, it does not look too bad. So if this Grey from Phoenix is as shown in the photo, I may redo it. The hardest part for me was the removal. It took a lot of scaping with a plastic putty knife and Xylol/Xylene solvent as recommended. Applying the new one was pretty easy using soapy water. Work to get all the bubbles out with the squeegee while still wet. I had a few small ones that I missed. You can pop them later with a needle, but that introduces future points for failure later on.
    1985 GT owned since new

swearint: It's scheduled to arrive Saturday!

I'd imagine you'd have an easier time with removal this time around. The one I peeled, ended up NOT being original (car came with a hood decal delete option per the Marti Report). It was visibly pretty old, but no telling exactly how old. No scrapers or chemicals required and took about 10-15 minutes. I was dreading the process going in.

My hope is that though all this trouble, some other lurkers or members out there will find this thread (and my pain) useful...All other sources and real life examples I've found on the topic have been out of date by almost a decade.

If it turns out to be a good color, I'd love to see others jump in and pick up one of these unicorns.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I am convinced these companies make the lighter shades because that is what happens to the original dark charcoal gray as it ages. We've seen this not only with these hood decal stickers, but also with the Sims paint rattle cans. This is the reason I chose to purchase the hood decal stencil and paint the hood decal. I was already going to have the car repainted and also had several pieces of windshield trim for a vert that I got from a totaled 86 vert in 87 which was put up and has never seen daylight...like someone found on a n.o.s. shelf from Ford. I took them in to Sherwin Williams automotive and had them scanned and paint matched...it took a couple times for my painter to spray a test shoot, then back to Sherwin Williams for an adjustment until it was a good match both in and out of the sun.
    HAD

HAVE

Have similar deal with my Ranger XLT factory pinstripe.
    The tricolor stripes complement the truck color so well it was another selling point to me.
    What used to look sharp is not so much now has faded and gone obsolete.

Wish i would have thought to buy a spare kit back then in 94.
    Bought the truck from a Ford dealer. Only 5k miles.
    Upon final inspection, noticed slightly mismatched painted panels. LT fender, door, r bed side. Never found out why.
    Dealer took a nice chunk off the selling price and corrected flaws.
    Ordered new pinstriping. Forgot why.
    DS front fender and door sections were the only ones used out of the kit.
    Asked if i could have the rest of the stripe kit free. NO. Prob still on the shelf.
    Should have offered to buy it and remember never pss off the body shop mgr.

Silver-blue-purple. All available separately in correct width. Like the hood decal, shades would be a guess.

If i repaint the truck again, will make sure to have a paint sample scan off the truck from an area still 'in the box'.

The cowl grill trim piece will throw everything off if faded. If painted, will show wear.
    Replaced the old one with one from NPD. Looks great. What a difference.

I am convinced these companies make the lighter shades because that is what happens to the original dark charcoal gray as it ages.
    Decent theory…If you’re in the reproduction/restoration business, wouldn’t you want your product as close to original as possible? Maybe you’re right and the majority of people that buy them have faded trim and it matches better. Let’s be honest, most 85-86’s still around are in pitiful shape. I can’t imagine the replacement hood decal market is very large, but still, it’s dark gray - not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The cowl grill trim piece will throw everything off if faded. If painted, will show wear.
    Definitely. The bogus light gray decal stuck out like a sore thumb against the cowl. Luckily my trim and cowl are all in decently good shape and SEM #39153 paint looks super good in person if/when needed.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-09-2023 at 11:47 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast