Close

Default T-Roof Weatherstripping or Headliner first

Hello all,

My 83 GT needs both a headliner, and T-Roof weatherstripping.

This is part of my winter projects.

Which one should I do first, or does it matter.

Also, I have seen where they just make the Headliner with the plastic backing.

Is that hard to install? Does anyone just sell the vinyl headliner where I could just use the old headliner board, or is that not recommended.

Thank you

The headliner material wraps and glues over the metal roof edges on the TTop opening, and a piece pinches over all that to hold it in place. There's a video on LMR that shows the whole process.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Do NOT buy the plastic backed headliner. Take your old one, strip the old material off of it, remove the old glue with a scotch pad and find the old Asian upholstery guy in your area who is better than everyone else even though he never advertises at all and have him recover it. The flippy, floppy plastic is a PITA and it just plain sucks.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Do NOT buy the plastic backed headliner. Take your old one, strip the old material off of it, remove the old glue with a scotch pad and find the old Asian upholstery guy in your area who is better than everyone else even though he never advertises at all and have him recover it. The flippy, floppy plastic is a PITA and it just plain sucks.

I can second this.

Thank you all. I appreciate it

So. SMS makes the headliner by itself. How many yard or yards would I need? Thanks
    Last edited by 83GTTops; 11-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Double check the measurement of the sunroof headliner backer board to verify. I generally buy 2 yards when doing a headliner, but that's not SMS original material pricing. I hate to be short or super close when doing it. I think 1.5 yards will complete the headliner, but again double check measurements and allow at least an extra 1" or more around all 4 sides. I think if you are extra careful you can do it with 1.5 yards, but again it won't save you that much over just buying 2 yards. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you Trey.

SMS has the right material for the headliner, but they do not put foam backing on it. Has anyone successfully glued foam on the back of vinyl?

Is it doable? Will it hold.

Thanks

So I have a similar question, my t top is missing the headliner but new weatherstripping. So am I going to have an issue trying to put a new headliner in

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    Thank you Trey.

SMS has the right material for the headliner, but they do not put foam backing on it. Has anyone successfully glued foam on the back of vinyl?

Is it doable? Will it hold.

Thanks
    Pretty sure the vinyl headliners didn't have a foam backing on them. Only the cloth (Mouse Hair) headliner fabric did. I might be wrong, but every vinyl OEM headliner I have removed didn't leave any foam residue on the backer board when finished.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That is my take also, no cushioning on the vinyl headliners, just the fabric ones (and I have done t-top, sunroof and solid roof cars).

Ok, thank you for your answers and feedback. Here is why I wonder.

I have a roll of Diamond Tier I bought awhile ago.

Here is the roll.

See how it has a foam back? Is is very thin.

Here is the front from SMS, which is correct.

Here is its back

Maybe it will work just glued to the cardboard?

The material you have will work just fine if you are good with it. Obviously it is not an exact match to the OEM, but most would never know or care. If you like it, I would use it and be done with it.

Either will glue to the back board with no issues. I highly recommend the 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. Easy to find and works very well for this type of application. If you haven't done a headliner before, definitely watch some videos in regards to how to spray the adhesive properly and install the material without wrinkles, creases, etc. You only get one shot with the Super 90, so make it count! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller