Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on wheels

I have black Cobra R's on my 83 GT now and really want to change to something different. I have the original TRX's saved in the garage and was thinking of putting the LMR TRX 16x7 wheels on it. Then I also like the LMR's 93 Cobra wheels and Mesh wheels, can't make up my mind.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on what would look good on it?

Here is a pic of what it looks like now.
    Name:  83 GT.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  172.9 KB

I like my lmr trx wheels, having that classic stock look with good tires is awesome. I save my cobra wheels now for autocross.
    Name:  IMG_20200827_164957~2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  193.5 KB
    Last edited by emerygt350; 11-06-2020 at 09:13 PM.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83 4SPD GT View Post
    I have black Cobra R's on my 83 GT now and really want to change to something different. I have the original TRX's saved in the garage and was thinking of putting the LMR TRX 16x7 wheels on it. Then I also like the LMR's 93 Cobra wheels and Mesh wheels, can't make up my mind.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on what would look good on it?

Here is a pic of what it looks like now.
    Name:  83 GT.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  172.9 KB

Beautiful car
    Would be interesting to see those wheels in white that you have in that pic

What color and/or size are the mesh wheels?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

^^^Yeah, what bwguardian asked! Depending on that answer, I'd say the '93 Cobra or mesh wheels. Are you looking at the new mesh wheels that LMR just introduced recently?
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Yes the new LMR mesh wheels, I was thinking black. 17x8 front and back or 17x8 front - 17x9 rear?

Default 4 hole factory style wheels generation and generic

What would look good? All of them. Some have more prors and cons than others.
    Spacers, rack limiters, center cap clearance, super wide EEE rim widths, tire sizing and body/chassis clearance

Current wheels:
    From here, the excellent current black cobra wheels give a fox Mustang a sharp 3rd factory wheel option unavailable until much later years.
    Black centers balance with black body/trim paint schemes on a light colored car.
    Add the bright wheel trim and its a show look all the way. That style works on the entire fox era. Fairmont, LTD II all of them.
    Very unlike the ok spinner hubcaps on first gen Mustang or later Magnum 500.

Chrome Cobra rims like above, optioned on regular New Edge White and Yellow Mustangs, really shone over plain rims or hubcaps used then.
    Without a 'faking to be one' look. Design is dressy and sporty.
    5 spokes remind of traditional racing mag's 5 spokes.

TRX:
    A lot of the older crowd may remember TRX was a fairly common site. The unusual wheel on a very changed car design.
    Younger not only have not really experiences the 80's driving a car, much less seen them or any with those wheels.
    The design works from base models all the way up the line to the top.
    Are they dressy? sporty? Undescribable? Only look good on 79-83?

The other 90's Cobra wheel variations:
    Cobra directional vane or tri-bars are most seen on aero cars.

Mesh:
    Mesh design were and are seen on any car brand. Factory and aftermarket. Pontiacs, Buick GN, ASC,
    Einkei mesh for everyone. Center section color can be anything. Center caps are all different.

Cragar chrome classic does not work well on newer cars. Is like a generation gap or 3.
    Pontiac honeycombs do not work with most any other car than what they came on.
    TRX look odd funny on Mustang II.
    GT turbines work well on aero and non-aero up to 93 and on other larger fox chassis.
    Older style rims on newer car is not as good of a match as newer style rim on older car?

No matter what wheels you choose, in regard to sizing, if the car will be driven often then I recommend the same size front and rear with the same size tires front and rear. Allows you to rotate and get longer life out of your tires. If the vehicle is a weekend cruiser/show car/play toy then staggered sizing often gives that look and stance we all like and tire rotations are not as much of a factor. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

93 Cobra repops. Don't think I've ever seen a set on a white car though.

Name:  wheels on my car.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  240.8 KB
    '85 GT

I have been doing tons of google image searches trying to find white 83-86 Mustangs with different wheels to get a better idea of how they look. Since my car is all stock, I keep thinking LMR TRX's, but I hate that they are only offered in 16x7. Then I think old school, when I was in high school we would replace the TRX's with a set of D-wheels (10 holes, phone dial, whatever you want to call them) there were tons around because everybody that had D-wheels would switch to Weld Draglites, unfortunately with the D-wheels being 15's there are no decent tires available any more. Staying with the old school theme, I could go 5 spoke Pony wheels, never really was all that crazy about the pony wheels.
    I really like the 93 Cobra LMR wheels and Mesh wheels, just wish I could find a white 83-86 to see them on. Plus if I stay with 17x8 size, I can switch my current tires over to the new wheels, if I buy LMR TRX's I have to buy tires and wheels since they are 16's.
    My black Cobra R's just kind of disappear on the car, even outside in the daylight you really can't tell what the wheels look like without getting up close to the car.
    Yeah I know, I'm over thinking the whole thing.
    Last edited by 83 4SPD GT; 11-08-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    No matter what wheels you choose, in regard to sizing, if the car will be driven often then I recommend the same size front and rear with the same size tires front and rear. Allows you to rotate and get longer life out of your tires. If the vehicle is a weekend cruiser/show car/play toy then staggered sizing often gives that look and stance we all like and tire rotations are not as much of a factor. Good luck!
    100% in agreement.

On my GT350 I currently have Pony wheels with 255-40/16s all the way around. Plan is to go back to the TRX with the same size tires. With a 1-2 inch drop and super fat rubber it just looks right to me. And no, I have had zero issues with too wide a tire on the rim. the car has minimal inside rub at full lock only.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    100% in agreement.

On my GT350 I currently have Pony wheels with 255-40/16s all the way around. Plan is to go back to the TRX with the same size tires. With a 1-2 inch drop and super fat rubber it just looks right to me. And no, I have had zero issues with too wide a tire on the rim. the car has minimal inside rub at full lock only.
    Do you have pics of the 255's on the 16x7 pony wheels?
    Last edited by 83 4SPD GT; 11-08-2020 at 08:50 PM.

FEP Supporter

Not a 4 eye but not bad at all I think!

Name:  lrs-1007rsr_7170.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  32.4 KB

Another aero. I'm diggin' it!

Name:  aero white 93 cobras.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by qikgts; 11-08-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    '85 GT

The 93 Cobra wheels definitely look good on the 87-93's.

FEP Power Member

I vote for a shiny new set of the LMR TRX wheels! These are awesome in a standard 16" wheel. FINALLY!!!

Do you think 245/50ZR16 would look ok on the 16x7 TRX's or would you stay with 225/55 ZR16's?

It will look fantastic

Don't over think it, do it....

Do you think 245/50ZR16 would look ok on the 16x7 TRX's or would you stay with 225/55 ZR16's?
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    I'm currently running 245x50x16 on my pony's. There should be the same fitment and clearance as the new TRX. Correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

I jumped in and ordered a set of these rims and will shop around for tires locally to see what I can get. From what I gather the 225/50/16 size seems to be the way to go for me (especially on the front) to avoid any potential issues with height especially with the lowering springs installed etc.

In my research the 245/50/16's seem to be pushing the limits of the 7" rim width, although tire rack say it will fit, and appears a slightly smaller 235/50/16 tire is rare or impossible to find for some reason.

I will post some pics when I eventually get everything installed later this summer probably.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by GT 350 View Post
    Like you I also bought the LMR's but I would also like to have the 16 hole's so I have options too, also like you....lol. We'll talk in June when I get back in town

Do you have pics of the 255's on the 16x7 pony wheels?
    Here you go..

Name:  Left Front.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  46.7 KBName:  Left Rear.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Right Front.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  44.9 KB
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Name:  IMG_3334.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  378.9 KB
    Not a mustang but here is what some 17" Saleen SC wheels looks like on a white Foxbody. They came out with the mesh wheels not long after I bought these. I would have put the black mesh on, think they would like good with the white and black.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

The mesh wheels look great on a four eye...had them on my 82 GT back in the day, car was medium red and the mesh was painted the same, as that was the thing back in the day...and have a set needing a redo for my 85 GT vert. I would not stagger the wheels, but would consider staggering the tire size. I have the 16" Pony wheels on my car...white 2 tone lower charcoal...that I painted white. I have 245/50/16 tires on the back which are identical to the original 225/60/15 tires in height...so no speedometer issues...just wider of course, and the 225/55/16 tires on the front. There is a member here that lives close to me, can't remember his user name, and he has an all white 84 with 16" black mesh wheels, and it looks great.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

So right now I'm thinking
    #1 - LMR TRX wheels with 245/50R16 BFG Sport Comp 2
    #2 - LMR Mesh Wheels, 17x8 black mesh with 245/45R17's

I think I'm going to wait until LMR has the TRX wheels back in stock, unless I see some pics of the LMR Mesh wheels on a white 83-86 that makes me change my mind.
    LMR currently shows the TRX's back in stock around January 4th, of course that is probably gonna change.

I appreciate everyones opinions, and if anybody finds any pics that would help more please post them.

Thanks for all the pics you did post, you guys have some really nice foxes.
    Last edited by 83 4SPD GT; 11-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.

You could over tire it!

PhotoBucket restoration time, PO'B.

Previously Brandon-ATOR's (BM62391) Old Beast!

Hope the headgasket is healed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakeshake View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

But I have a new toy that may look familiar!

In good hands now, gonna get the attention she deserves haha.

I use the same tires on my AWD Stagea...great choice of rolling stock. Only I'm 18"s with less width and offset.The 17's look nice with 275 rear, 245 front, 6" backspace on 9" wheels.

Did you stay 9" at the rear?

Bike riders always cut the edges, and understand the importance of handling and traction. Moving to 17's was a powder coated black gift in alloy from my son for my current ride.

FEP Senior Member

I think the meshies look best on this era of Mustang. Just don't ask me to clean them for you.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I got my lmr trxs off lmr on ebay. They were 'scratch and dent' but there were no scratches or dents. I suspect they were returns. I paid almost nothing for them as well. Maybe 40 a pop? no more than 60.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I really disliked the black 95 Cobra R wheels so I went ahead and sold them. I am going to buy a set of LMR's 93 Cobra 17x8.5 wheels with 255/40 tires. Hopefully LMR will have the wheels back in stock this week, the tires I will buy myself, do not want the tires they offer in their tire and wheel kit. Took a couple pics with the stock TRX's back on the car.

Name:  83 GT 1.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  271.3 KB
    Name:  83 GT 2.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  276.3 KB
    Name:  83 GT 3.jpeg
Views: 333
Size:  308.9 KB
    Name:  83 GT 4.jpeg
Views: 334
Size:  311.2 KB
    Last edited by 83 4SPD GT; 11-29-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast