Close

Default Trunk Lid Badging Question

I not sure if this it the thred this belongs in but I own a 1985 Mustang LX convertibe. It has only the LX badge on the trunk lid but almost all the LX Convertible mustangs from 1985 that I have seen have the mustang lettering before the LX. I was curious if the mustang lettering was the standard in 1985 and someone had taken it off. below I attached a picture of my car (Top) and a mustang to show what lettering I was asking about (Bottom), Thanks in advance for any help it is greatly appreciated

Name:  PXL_20201029_175138757 Small.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  83.7 KB Name:  2012-09-20 16.15.15.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  110.5 KB

Should have "MUSTANG" emblem before "LX" emblem. Your LX emblem also looks to be placed too far to the left. Perhaps your car was repainted and then the original badges were not replaced/placed like OE?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I believe the Aero cars came with the LX only. I would agree, yours is missing the Mustang and is placed wrong.

Kenny

Maybe the trunk lid was replaced somewhere down the line?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Hey, at least you don't have the ugly, ugly luggage rack! the emblem is an easy fix compared to that!

I think the trunk may have been replaced at some point before I purcashed the car, there was a huge stain on the carpet in the trunk. I kind of assumed that they left some of the badging off the trunk, I have a repacement "Mustang" Badge I just wanted to make sure that it belonged before I placed it on the car.

I love the four eyed foxes partly because of the lack of the luggage rack.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    I believe the Aero cars came with the LX only. I would agree, yours is missing the Mustang and is placed wrong.

Kenny
    Yep, my 88 vert was like that, just LX on the drivers side.

And I think when I repaint my 88 again (from that accident) I'm going to remove the L rack.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Since its an 85 there would be no luggage rack. That was new for 86. Needed something to put the CHMSL under. The aero cars that just had an "LX" emblem would have had it closer to the left edge of the lid than where it is now. It was placed incorrectly in this case.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My 84 GT has mustang then GT

sorry but love the rack look added it to my 84 but with out the 3rd brake light

my 85 gt came with a rack

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    my 85 gt came with a rack
    Dealer or owner add on
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Does no one sell a templet for all emblem placement ?

love a nice rack
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Quote Originally Posted by GUSS View Post
    Does no one sell a templet for all emblem placement ?

Keep in mind that unless the trunk lid, fender, etc. had an alignment hole for placement of any emblem or badging, they were installed on the lines by Humans and were never 100% the same. Yes, the same general placement, but never perfect. Others can provide measurements to help ensure the proper location of your emblems, but still you will see variances from one car to the next. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

On the assy line, a stick on type emblem, stripe, molding, or decal was aligned with a template or custom shaped tool.
    A template, shaped, cut, marked a certain way to align with body features. Printed with arrows, lines, instructions.
    If a reusable alignment tool, usually was magnetic. Place tool correctly to align and install decal, molding, or emblem.

The OE Cobra door decals for my car were large with writing and markings on the paper transfer backing.
    Aftermarket may or may not be reproduced like the factory version in this way.
    Decal backing paper was larger than the decal to line up x and y axis with front of door edge and top of belt molding.
    Peel off decal adhesive liner, align decal backing template and gradually lower and card out the decal to the door.

No time to tape down anything like that on the line. Speed with accuracy is the game.
    Every workstation comes with verbal instructions. What to do and what not to do.
    Placement needed to be pretty close to pass factory final inspection tolerances, whatever that was.
    Fill the repair bays up and they will come looking for you and not be happy.
    Always the chance someone was filling in or new and did not get the hang of the workstation task immediately or had the shakes.

Years later, anything goes. Owner may not have new replacement, deletes,or adds items.
    May not be fussy with details, wants a different look, or actually knows the exact placement.
    Especially after areas are refinished, and each year was a little different.
    Once its stuck its stuck, no easy way to correct later.