Close

Default 83 GT clutch safety switch

I have an 83GT, and I replaced the clutch pedal assembly because it was shot. The replacement has a clutch safety switch. Did the 83 have a clutch safety switch? My old assembly did not, but doesn't mean a p.o. did no discard it. If not, how can you wire it so that it works? The only plug in that location just hanging down, is a two wire into a three slot plug with black and purple dashes on it. Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    79 Coupe, 357W balanced, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, Holley 750, C4 roller, 4.56 8.8 spool, 26 MT Drags, 11.00 @ 123
    83 Mustang GT, 88 GT engine, T5

I’ve had two ‘83 GTs over the years including my current one. The first I was the second owner and the current I’m the third. Both all original when I got them. Neither one had a clutch safety switch.

No safety switch on my 83. I’m the original owner.

Thanks for the replies! Anybody ever install a clutch safety switch?
    79 Coupe, 357W balanced, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, Holley 750, C4 roller, 4.56 8.8 spool, 26 MT Drags, 11.00 @ 123
    83 Mustang GT, 88 GT engine, T5

Route the start signal that hits the starter solenoid through the switch. Can do it all within the cabin I would imagine.

A long list of whys and wherefores here. Ford started adding the " start clutch inhibitor switch" wiring to the clutch pendant in the 1984 model year, but it wasnt always hooked up. No T5 was hooked up exclusively with EECIV....some 83 Mustangs and Capri Turbos had EECIV, some 83 5.0s got T5, but for 83, 84 and 85, no 5.0 stick shifts got any computer. There were two stage dark grey, or red modules for 85s that werent hooked up to anything meaningfull. And a yellow/orange module for 4 cylinder stick shifts. They were upshift indicator lights repurposed for a planned economy light on the 5.0s. Ford wiring is 50% visionary, 50% utter kaos.

Just make sure the wiring loom for your clutch pendant doesnt include the Dark Grey, Red or Yellow/Orange two stage upshift indicator wiring as discussed in post # 46 here in Droopie85GT's awesome epic.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...lley-EFI/page2

For the simple clutch depressed start, Check this out. 306GT's advice is exactly what 87gtVIC has been sayin'

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-safety-switch