Close

Default MAC exhaust... what ever happened to them?

I remember around the time I joined this site, MAC had a huge presence in the Mustang scene. They always had advertisements for their products in magazines, and it seemed that all the vendors were selling their stuff. Seemed like every Mustang guy I knew had some MAC product on his car, and was happy with it. Does anyone know what happened to them over the years? Did the S197 chassis introduction hurt them? Is it because they're in California? It's hard for me to fathom that with how terrible the BBK products are that sell well, that MAC has essentially vanished from the market. Were they making everything in America?

I have a set of MAC tailpipes on my car I bought almost 10 years ago, and it was hard for me to find anyone selling them then.

Any ideas?

Cale

FEP Power Member

IT looks like they might still be around. My browser warned me that the site isn't secure, but I went through any ways.

http://www.macperformance.com/

But the last new products they list is 2019, nothing new for this year.

Maybe try contacting them and see if they're still in business?

MAC Products Inc.

43214 Blackdeer loop
    Suite # 115
    Temecula CA 92590 US

Sales & Tech ​​800-367-4486
    Fax 888-527-9109

I don't know what's going on with MAC and their exhaust products.
    They've had poor inventory, and long backlogs for many years (well before the zombie apocalypse).
    I bought a set of SS cat-back from them about two years ago. Iirc, even that was a 2-3+ month wait.

I bought

https://www.shop.macperformance.com/...tem-TK8995.htm

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-s...t-9404-v6.html

MAC Ford Mustang 2½" to 3½" Stainless Steel Cat-Back System
    Item #: TK8995
    Ford Mustang 2½" Stainless Steel to 3½" Rolled Stainless Steel Tips Cat-Back System, Fits 1979-1993 LX 5.0L, 1994-1995 GT 5.0L & 1994-2004 V6 3.8L
    $720

Imho, I like the sound, the look, and I love that I don't need to get IronMan, and the Hulk (and Black Widow (to drool over ) to lift the car up high enough, to get the exhaust over the rear axle.

Good luck!
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 10-27-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Id take my bbk headers any day over the mac without the flanges and warping all over hell.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I have a MAC diff girdle that I bought years ago, I always liked it- works great.
    I would like to run their 2-1/2” pro dumps but if you guys are saying long lead times I may reconsider
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Cale —

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I have one of their 2.5" cat-backs on my '86 coupe and it's by far the best fitting (and sounding) I've had on that car. Want another one for my '84 vert but as you mentioned they've seemed to disappear from the market.

Does anyone make anything equivalent these days? I really like how they designed the tail pipes with so much adjustability where it splits over the rear axle. They can be dialed in to line up perfect unlike a lot of the others with a solid tail pipe design.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Id take my bbk headers any day over the mac without the flanges and warping all over hell.

I agree!
    Imho, use FRPP or BBK headers, or get ready for a lot of headaches/problems.
    (Note: Assuming the headers are not for 110% max performance - screw everything else. Or, purely for looks. Or, the headers are being installed with the engine outside of the car.)

I've used both FRPP and BBK headers. Imho, the BBK headers "look and feel" barely better than the FRPP headers.
    Still, iirc, I'm back to using my original FRPP coated headers (that have long since lost their coating).

I loved my BBK x-pipe cats!
    But, to be safe (and not worry about the ever changing State smog laws), I've gone back to a stock 4-cat CARB approved cat setup.
    I don't worry about the ~~~~1->3HP loss of a 4-cat system. BFD! I'd rather never ever ever have to worry that the State changed the smog laws on older cars again.
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 10-27-2020 at 06:41 PM.

I bought my tailpipes from some performance shop not far away from Mac in California back in 2011 that I found online. It was one of the few retailers selling them I could find back then. I really like the fit of them as well. I did cut the tips back a little bit for my Capri since they were kind of long for it, but that was it.

TNT, I ran into the same thing trying to view their site on my pc too.

MCB, I agree the individual flanges suck for reinstalling them but BBK used to make them that way as well. I had a an old set of BBK equal length shorties like that. That always seemed to be the only bad thing I ever heard people saying about Mac headers, but it's been a lot of years since people talked about buying new sets of Mac headers on this forum. I have a long list of gripes with my BBK long tubes and h pipe...

I lucked out, and found a used Mac catback for my '88 Camaro. I think it's the best sounding exhaust you can put on one of those cars too. I had a friend years ago with a Mac prochamber catback on his 92 lx and it souded great!

Cale

Couldn't agree more! I still have white faced gauge overlays I bought from MAC installed on a car I drove yesterday. Been there 15 years+ and still in great shape. Back in the early '90s I wanted to keep my GT350 relatively stock appearing and they were the only ones that made a 2 1/4 inch cat back (same as OEM) instead of a 2 1/2. It fit perfect, sounded great and was installed in my driveway with no modification required. I sold the car over a decade ago and I saw it earlier this year and they are still on it!

BBK products are China junk. I don't think they have ever actually "Fit" a part to any actual car during design. I think they must have scans or drawings of a real car and they design their products that "should" fit based on a scan, because I've never seen any of their parts, especially exhaust parts that didn't have to be cut and re-welded, put in a bender etc. It's just awful. I bought an H pipe from them once (and only once) and I'm pretty sure it would have fit a Cummins Diesel Dodge pickup with less modification then what it required to install on my Mustang. I would guess since the Windsor engine hasn't changed in over 50 years MAYBE the BBK headers actually fit now, but only because of years of people returning them I bet.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Couldn't agree more! I still have white faced gauge overlays I bought from MAC installed on a car I drove yesterday. Been there 15 years+ and still in great shape. Back in the early '90s I wanted to keep my GT350 relatively stock appearing and they were the only ones that made a 2 1/4 inch cat back (same as OEM) instead of a 2 1/2. It fit perfect, sounded great and was installed in my driveway with no modification required. I sold the car over a decade ago and I saw it earlier this year and they are still on it!

BBK products are China junk. I don't think they have ever actually "Fit" a part to any actual car during design. I think they must have scans or drawings of a real car and they design their products that "should" fit based on a scan, because I've never seen any of their parts, especially exhaust parts that didn't have to be cut and re-welded, put in a bender etc. It's just awful. I bought an H pipe from them once (and only once) and I'm pretty sure it would have fit a Cummins Diesel Dodge pickup with less modification then what it required to install on my Mustang. I would guess since the Windsor engine hasn't changed in over 50 years MAYBE the BBK headers actually fit now, but only because of years of people returning them I bet.
    Mine have always fit perfect and no issues. Headers and Hpipe
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

My BBK h-pipe for their long tubes is a joke. I have done much ranting about its fitment on here before. The shorty stuff seems to fit a lot better. What Homer said is spot on for mine too, and hilarious!

Cale

I had a set of Mac mufflers on a mustang. They sounded great. No drone. If your looking for quality mufflers try Spintech. I have a set Of stainless Spintech mufflers on my coyote. They also sound great.

Really liked my MAC cat back that I bought in 1998 from Paul Brown at HPM

I wore it out and cobbled in a set of slowmaster mufflers ..... never have liked them

I agree with the Saleen Racing team on one thing — Dynomax is about the best. Those are the ones I got the most complements on and the ones that it ran the best with

It's funny that everyones mentioned BBK and MAC since thats exactly what my exhaust on the 86 Capri is; BBK headers with a full MAC off-road h-pipe into their mufflers and tailpipes. I personally LOVE the sound of it and get compliments on it for not sounding like every other "Flowmaster 5.0" set up.
    The funny thing is, years ago.....probably pushing 20 yrs now.....my buddy actually bought the MAC cat-back system for his wife's 85 Capri and put it on her car. Shortly after that, she began driving it less and less until she never drove it at all......he finally asked her why and she hated the sound. With the gearing and the speeds she constantly drove on her commutes, it droned so bad inside the car she hated it even driving a short distance. Luckily for me, and since I worked for NAPA, he offered to swap me out her 3 month old exhaust for a stock replacement system!! I ordered it up and we planned on doing the swap, luckily for me we ended up pushing it off until after Ford- Carlisle and I scored a brand new off-road h-pipe while we were there to complete the system. A couple weeks later we swapped them out and I've had mine on my car with no issues or regrets since!!! She soon started driving her quiet Capri again too!!!
    My only "issue" I had with my tail pipes was they were chrome and starting to rust, so I had them powder-coated black to match the car.......simple to clean and no longer a rust issue!!! LOL
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm lucky enough to still be using my Mac 1-3/4" longtubes, Mac 2-1/2" offroad H-pipe, and the Mac 2-1/2" cat-back exhaust on my Cobra. It's been 17 years now and all of them are still going strong. I hope I can find replacements when they do begin to fail.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

New User

Hi Guys Butch here from London Ont Canada I have a couple of questions in regards to mac headers--I have a set of E508692 that they say is from a 79 to 84 mustang. I have a 1970 ish 302 in my 48 panel truck that came from a stang--but not knowing the year.--I am refitting the block with a 303 cam and a set of 40P heads,Now I am having difficulties obtaining sp plug & wire clearance. The last owner used two stock manifolds 1 is front faced(upside down) driver side and the other is normal If I use a thicker exh space will I get enough room and use shorty plugs to install the headers thanks for any imput --Botchir in Canada

I had MAC headers on one of my old Capri's and they were (excuse my french) F-ING crap! most of the welds cracked
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009