Close

Default Using VSS and also Speedo Cable on 4r70w

I have my engine and transmission installed, my 4r70w uses a VSS
    Car uses a speedo cable. I want to use the stock gauges.

My VSS does not seems to have provisions for a cable, so I did some investigation.
    There is a white cap on the end of the VSS, where a cable would attach.
    I removed the cap, and I could then see the square drive for the cable.
    Went to insert cable, the hole in the VSS is a smaller diameter than the cable end.
    Through some careful measuring and drilling, I was able to attach the cable to the VSS. I had to change the plastic gear anyways.
    When I spin the gear, the square drive turns on the speedometer end of the cable.

So this is encouraging news. I ordered a new cable so when I install the cable this weekend I can post pics of the modification.

I would love to test the electrical portion of the VSS just to make sure it is still functioning properly.
    gotta look into that, I must have a manual here with the test procedure.
    The ECM uses the VSS for certain functions, I think for converter lockup, and unlock on deceleration.
    Last edited by massacre; 10-22-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

Speedometer cables come in two types. One for non cruise cars and one for cruise controlled cars. The cruise control cars cable have an end that fits into the VSS unit that fits into the trans hole. A non cruise car cable just fits into the trans hole. Two different size ends.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Speedometer cables come in two types. One for non cruise cars and one for cruise controlled cars. The cruise control cars cable have an end that fits into the VSS unit that fits into the trans hole. A non cruise car cable just fits into the trans hole. Two different size ends.
    Thanks for the heads up on this, appreciate the help!
    I know my car does not have cruise control, but I did notice that there are different cables available.
    my car came with the cable, but not the transmission so I’m working with what I have.
    Some cables have threaded ends, some do not.
    What I noticed about my cable, is that the square drive on the trans side sticks out quite a bit.
    Looks like this

Name:  5A8E87EE-953A-4A10-9F03-48EAEAE5FE66.jpeg
Views: 425
Size:  26.4 KB

some of the cables look like this

Name:  231C53C5-8940-4E64-8CD9-24968CFFBCC2.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  24.6 KB

The square drive being longer is what worked on my particular VSS. Otherwise it would not be able to engage the square drive on the VSS, it would be too short.
    i know this because I ordered a new cable and it doesn’t look like it will work.
    so I will return that one and get a new one with the correct end that is longer.

To be honest I never thought about cruise vs non cruise that is good info! Thanks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

The two pictures are the same cables. The flex cable inside is free to move. It can be pulled completely out. You use to be able to buy just the cable without the outer housing back in the day. The cable pictured is for a non A/c car. It plugs directly into the trans. You can tell by how big the diameter of the base is.

I was wondering about that, thanks for confirming!
    My car is non AC so that makes perfect sense