Close

Default Non lifting lifter

So, I ran the motor in but had a valve 'tick'. Turns out on my #4 exhaust valve I can compress the lifter by lifting on the rocker. My assumption is a bad lifter.

Would anything else cause this?

I am getting oil to it as the rocker was just as oily as the others when I went to adjust it again (which I thought it needed, but the lifter isn't pumping up).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 10-21-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Unless you have sludge in your lifter oil feed hole its prob a bad or broken spring inside lifter

I believe to remove lifter and depending on your heads you may have to remove head to get lifter out .. maybe this isn't your scenario but was for me

All you can do is remove intake and do a visual
    Is hair pin clip in lifter
    Is dog bone holding lifter in its orientation
    Is lifter moving up/down with cam lobe etc. Visuals

I had the axel shaft of the lifter wheel come apart and that was fun. These axel shafts are pressed and I believe are (staked) on and I will forever check this moving forward on any lifter install

If top of rocker for that cylinder is getting oil then lifter oil hole is clear and oil is going through lifter through pushrod and splashing oil on the topside... if that's happening then you are probably correct
    In regards to bad lifter if valve train and pushrod is correct length and compressing on lifter per lash instructions

Depending on heads and valve seat you could have 1 pushrod too short or opposite meaning valve is sunked in head further than other valves which changes geometry .. visual of where your valve stems protrude out of the rocker tip side from one another will be a dead giveaway one will be higher by a about 1/16 .. pushrods come in .05 increments unless your doing something really exotic i guess

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Also if your able to compress lifter with same force as say any other known good cylinder then you can quickly compare

You should have quite a bit of resistance but not much I guess with help of your valve spring helping you some

My point is it should feel similar to others

It didn't. Hand pressure wouldn't compress any other lifter, just that one.

Think I just have a bad lifter so off comes the intake.

Just sucks as I got a good seal and now I have to break and reseal it.
    Oh well.

At least the heads shouldn't have to come off. Seems like the lifter is short enough (not being a roller) to come out via magnet with the head still on. A good light and maybe a mirror will let me eyeball the cam lobe.

Last edited by richpet; 10-21-2020 at 07:14 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Pulled the intake and replaced the lifter. It was way too easy to compress.
    Used a mirror and flashlight to eyeball the cam lobe and I did not see any scoring so I think it was replaced in time.
    Starting to install the Fitech.