Close

Thread: Turbo On Light

Default Turbo On Light

I had no idea my 84 GT Turbo had a green Turbo On light? When changing dash bulbs I found a socket with no bulb... added a bulb and it WORKS! Too cool... I know, it’s the little things...

Smile and enjoy it. It looks cool as heck at night!

2x

If the red warning lights look pinkish or the green light looks faded, change out the bulbs.
    Red 194 bulbs and a green 194 bulb. Deep color like when new.
    They can be changed without removing the cluster or sockets if very careful.

A boost gauge is nice, but will never be as special or easy to read as a turbo boost light.
    Something like a light for the back barrels of a 4 barrel carb on a V8 would be, or nitrous. Extra inning power zone.
    Not a 'stay lit until ??' warning like a yellow economy upshift cluster light or ABS, ck engine.
    Which can annoy enough to require removal of bulb.
    Reminds of the 60's GM green idiot light, that lit until engine was warmed up. Too cool.
    Or the yellow under dash reverse light in certain manual trans Mopars of the muscle car era.
    Would like to add both prob use panel mount LED's..

Curious about that reverse light mentioned above. Was it as simple as I am thinking? Just to remind driver if they are in reverse? Or is there more to it?

I did add an SVO boost gauge in place of the ammeter, I just need to hook it up. I was initially thinking about adding Turbo lights to the back of the hood scoop like the late 80’s Turbo TAs had... there was a couple of lights like a green, yellow, red setup...

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    2x

If the red warning lights look pinkish or the green light looks faded, change out the bulbs.
    Red 194 bulbs and a green 194 bulb. Deep color like when new.
    They can be changed without removing the cluster or sockets if very careful.

A boost gauge is nice, but will never be as special or easy to read as a turbo boost light.
    Something like a light for the back barrels of a 4 barrel carb on a V8 would be, or nitrous. Extra inning power zone.
    Not a 'stay lit until ??' warning like a yellow economy upshift cluster light or ABS, ck engine.
    Which can annoy enough to require removal of bulb.
    Reminds of the 60's GM green idiot light, that lit until engine was warmed up. Too cool.
    Or the yellow under dash reverse light in certain manual trans Mopars of the muscle car era.
    Would like to add both prob use panel mount LED's..

Have both vac/boost gauge and light to monitor the afterburner.
    SVO makes that gauge cluster hole much more useful than an ammeter that rarely works if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Curious about that reverse light mentioned above. Was it as simple as I am thinking? Just to remind driver if they are in reverse? Or is there more to it?
    Far as i know there is nothing more to it. Simple wiring, no other function.
    Read something about having to park that era Mopar manual 4 speed trans cars in reverse to remove key from column.
    Would help insuring selecting first gear at a red light, tight pattern trans. Also something about reverse lockout.

On the subject of additional factory driver monitor lights, my 67 Mustang had turn signal lights in the hood vents.

Then came the console LED graphic display years later.

GM had fiber optics on fender to monitor front lights. C3 68-72 Corvette had a few in the console.
    Many others over the years. On fenders, rear window shelf, door ajar, oil life, etc. Reminders appear to this day.

T/A hood scoop turbo lights: no boost, 2#, 6#. Had 301 w/800 cfm Q-jet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djnw2BoD3p8

If I has those TA boost lights, I wouldn’t be able to watch the road... I’d be too busy trying to light the lights... lol

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Have both vac/boost gauge and light to monitor the afterburner.
    SVO makes that gauge cluster hole much more useful than an ammeter that rarely works if at all.

Far as i know there is nothing more to it. Simple wiring, no other function.
    Read something about having to park that era Mopar manual 4 speed trans cars in reverse to remove key from column.
    Would help insuring selecting first gear at a red light, tight pattern trans. Also something about reverse lockout.

On the subject of additional factory driver monitor lights, my 67 Mustang had turn signal lights in the hood vents.

Then came the console LED graphic display years later.

GM had fiber optics on fender to monitor front lights. C3 68-72 Corvette had a few in the console.
    Many others over the years. On fenders, rear window shelf, door ajar, oil life, etc. Reminders appear to this day.

T/A hood scoop turbo lights: no boost, 2#, 6#. Had 301 w/800 cfm Q-jet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djnw2BoD3p8

I did the same thing to mine. It only takes 10 minutes to hook up the boost gauge. I just ran it through the same hole as the speedo cable.

Last edited by homer302; 10-26-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

Did you have to do anything to by pass the amp gauge. I saw the opening in the circuit board for the vac hose.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Nope. At least I didn't. I just dropped it in. I ran it that way for a year without any ill side affects. I never saw that amp needle move once. I have seen a couple Foxes where it actually did move but none I've owned ever have. I saw it as pointless. I can't believe I've never seen one in a turbo 5.0.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I always laughed when that light came on. Just seemed silly, not like it's a component you can turn on and off.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    I always laughed when that light came on. Just seemed silly, not like it's a component you can turn on and off.
    NOW that's completely NOT TRUE! Don't you remember the Blower in Mad Max two that he turned on when he needed that extra boost of power and speed!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller