Close

Default 1983 Dark Walnut Metallic Mustang

I just picked up a 1983 Dark Walnut Metallic 3 door Mustang this week. I have never seen that color in person before. The car in Awesome shape (53,000 ish miles). It was originally a V6 car and I got it just in time as the last owner was going to make it into a race car but wife came up pregnant. The engine and other components are out as is the radiator. The buck tag is MIA so I guess it went out with the rest of the undesired parts. The door tag is unreadable so Kevin Marti will have to help me with some information. I was just wondering if anyone has any production numbers for this paint color? I did see on here another member said 138, but seem to have a hard time finding anything beyond that.
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

I have never seen a number such as 138. Where did you see that?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

It was on here while I was searching for info on this color. Again I know nothing about this color and it's production numbers

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

I believe the factory paint code for Dark Walnut Metallic was "5U". Not sure if this production number chart is accurate, but I doubt it since I know more Mustangs were produced than what is shown, and it doesn't look like they are including "L" or "LX" models...

Name:  1983 Production Numbers.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  133.8 KB.
    Last edited by tbirdman; 10-19-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I have never seen a number such as 138. Where did you see that?
    Quote Originally Posted by marln001 View Post
    It was on here while I was searching for info on this color.
    Can you post exactly where you saw that?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    I believe the factory paint code for Dark Walnut Metallic was "5U". Not sure if this production number chart is accurate, but I doubt it since I know more Mustangs were produced than what is shown, and it doesn't look like they are including "L" or "LX" models...
    That chart is only for 2.3T and 5.0L models. No LX in 1983...replace that with "GL".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

One other thing about this car is that it has a clock mounted in the dash on the oposite side of the gauge cluster. This car did not have a factory console. I have never seen this before but it looks very factory? I just found a picture of the exact same set up in another 1983. Dealer option?
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

It could possibly be a dealer option. It was not factory. There may be a part number or something else on it somewhere that might indicate if it's a Ford part or not.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    That chart is only for 2.3T and 5.0L models. No LX in 1983...replace that with "GL".
    How do the numbers look for 1983 'L' and 'GL' models, FoxChassis? One of my favorite 'what if' cases goes way back during the Fall of 1990, FOR SALE: '83 Mustang GL hatchback, White w/Black vinyl, 5.0L/stick, and factory T-TOPS, I forgot all about that! It was very unusual, but at the time I had no idea about Third Generation cars, I was only looking for basic to-and-from-school transportation. 49K orig mi, and was available at only $4995. FoxChassis, when you get a chance, post the production figures on the 1983 model L, GL, GLX, GT Turbo, and GT. If you don't have access to the Ford numbers, the FEP Database numbers will do.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 10-25-2020 at 05:34 AM. Reason: text added

Those charts, just like deluxe Marti reports, have production numbers by the body code in the VIN. For the 1983 model year there were three body codes and four engine codes and multiple models used the same codes. So you cannot tell which model it is just by looking at the VIN unless the body/engine combo was available in only one model. That was the case only with the GLX V6 convertible (P273) and the Turbo GT hatchback (P28W).

26 = 2-door sedan (coupe) = L/GL/GLX
    27 = 2-door convertible = GLX/GT
    28 = 3-door sedan (hatchback) = GL/GLX/GT/Turbo GT

A = 2.3L = L/GL/GLX (exc. convertible)
    3 = 3.8L = GL/GLX
    F = 5.0L = GL/GLX/GT
    W = 2.3T = Turbo GT

26A = L/GL/GLX
    263 = GL/GLX
    26F = GL/GLX
    26W = not available

27A = not available
    273 = GLX
    27F = GLX/GT
    27W = not available

28A = GL/GLX
    283 = GL/GLX
    28F = GL/GLX/GT
    28W = Turbo GT
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-23-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

More nice Mustangs and Capri's have been butchered to make a "racecar" by some hack. At least you kept this one from completing that fate. I've likely seen 100+ cars in junkyards that weren't crashed, but were "racecars" that somebody absolutely destroyed trying making it into one. Nothing against those that have the talent to do it, but there are many more that don't. My $.02.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

Some pic's of car would be nice..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

So 1,178 5U hatchbacks in 1983
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Will try to get pictures this weekend. Picking up the car tomorrow.
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT