Close

Thread: MPFI.CONVERSON

JERSEYGT85

Default MPFI.CONVERSON

i was just curious to know if anybody spent the grueling hours and painfull weeks trying to convert a cfi stang to mpfi...im wondering if its easier to convert to mp than convert from cfi to carb...you guys have any thought s ?

Pssst....MPFI is GM, SEFI is Ford
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Pssst....MPFI is GM, SEFI is Ford

MPFI = Multi Point/Port Fuel Injection, This system injects fuel into individual cylinders as compared to CFI/TBI which is Single Point Injection System that has injector/s located centrally to supply fuel.

SEFI = Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection which means the injectors fire individually as compared to Batch Fire Fuel Injection in which all the injectors fire simultaneously

So... a HO style EFI system is both MPFI and SEFI...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Ok you two jokers...since I held my tounge on that very issue

Carb is easier...if you don't know what parts you need for EFI. If you can find a complete EFI setup to purchase...it should be a straight forward swap...except maybe the wiring. The easiest I would assume would be a EFI wiring harness from an 86 GT(along with an 86 GT Fuel tank).

But if you put past the simplicity...or complexity of a system...you can ask yourself will you DO better with carb or EFI...which in turn will bring opinions from people saying carb is better, or EFI is better...in which some cases, both sides can be proven right or wrong.

Me personally...I'd go EFI.
    No matter where you go, there you are

MPFI = SEFI = TPI...etc. etc.

Yeah they all do/are the same thing. But each is a proprietary name of sorts.

I don't call the Mustang's induction MPFI just like I don't call it's limited slip differential Posi-Trac or Sure-Grip.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

Hey post nazi... I'm gaining on you.. only a hundred or so away...

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

JERSEYGT85

well now that everybody has chimed in with the school teacher antics , nobody answered the the question, everybody was quick to point out how they had there ownidea of what type of fuel inj is for each make of car, the question remains...has anybody done the conversion and is it worth it ?

FEP Senior Member

Hmmm... Well... I've haven't worked with a CFI car... and I was hoping that someone that had done that swap before would chime in... I'm currently in the process of swapping from carb to MPFI... but I'm not using the Ford ECU or harness...

Anyways... If the CFI fuel system is up to running the MPFI system... then it would seem that what your really talking about is a Harness/ECU/Intake swap... which should be like a 85 carb to mpfi swap without the fuel system hassles... You probably want a 86 Harness...

Now the CFI to Carb swap is a common swap and there are a few websites that detail what it takes... Heres 2 of them that come to mind...

http://carbdford.com/tech/CFICARB/cfi_to_carb.htm

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/e...b/cfi-carb.htm

Sorry... I can't be more helpful... but I have a definate lack of experience with the subject and I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction...

Sidenote... One of these days I'd like to mount 2 CFI Throttle Bodies on a Dual Quad intake... I think it would make a cool setup for a SB engine...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

JERSEYGT85

madmike, what are you going to do with all of carb set up parts, (dist, manifold ,wireing ect ) i would be interested in buying some of your old stuff, lemme know whats up