Close

Default Borg - Warner aluminum case 4 speed

I am seeking a Borg Warner aluminum case 4 speed transmission for my '81 T-top hatchback with 200 Cid straight 6. any info or Leeds would be most appreciated.

As far as Im able to tell, the case is a T5 1352 with the 5th gear removed cluster removed. The case is reputedly 1351. The door tag trans code is 6 and it comes with a 2.47 axle because it is not an SROD with an overdriven 4th gear. SRODs got 3.08 axles but were listed in the company litersture as gaving a 2.49 overall axle ratio with the narrow ratio i6 gearing.

See

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ri-help-needed

The T4 was an updated SR4 gearbox. Check with BTD.

He had an Orange 1981 3.3 Mustang hatch with factory T4.

Im sure you know the Six cylinder and T4 gearing and gearbox differences.

So did a red 81 3.3 Cobra owner, now a 5.0 and T5.

Ill patch in the links to these guys, but they are inactive board users.

FoxChassis thinks in excess of 6000 3.3 liters might have been T4 optioned.

The gearbox production needs for BW were huge, so Ford removed the T4 option for all of the 1982 model year, and the T5 became an option only for the mid year of 1983.

My sources say that Ford paid for SR4 and T4 development, but that the T5 was outsourced and not exclusively a Ford trans. For the T4, Jeep used it. Some Canadian Ford Mustanv Cobra carb Turbos for 81 & 82. The T5 was exclusively the manual Datsun 280ZX Turbo for Nissan USA and AMC used it, and so did the S10 and some 82 F bodies instead of Ford for the year and a half

This is the second, a Red Cobra 1981 T top formerly with the B code engine with 6 code trans

Quote Originally Posted by 4EYE_or_DIE_81 View Post
    My 81 Cobra!

1981 209125 B F 05/81 1C 1C 22 61R - - ADD A 5 D B 6 NNMM Cobra 8-track, A/C, T-roof painted red,aero spoiler

Attachment 111447Attachment 111448

Quote Originally Posted by riccs49 View Post
    hi guys ,new to the site name is mike .Picked up an 81 cobra t-top cant wait for spring to get going on it.Has gt 40 5 sp, 9 inch 4.11s needs a little body work,little interior work but not bad.Attachment 67784Attachment 67785Attachment 67786 here are some new pics, the car is almost doneAttachment 71970[ATTACH=CONFIG]71969

Im a long term Ford in line small six guy. My other domicile is FordSix.com which is out of commision, has been for a week. The info gathered there is from Racinndrummin and some other Fairmont/ Zephyr and Mustang/ Capri guys who have gone the T5 to

D9/SROD Tremec T170
    or E1/T4 Borg-Warner bellhousing. These were essentially multipurpose but the E1 bellhousing fits the T5 with no modifications.

So if your missing a T4, take hold of any T5, even a Chevy S10 one, and it will bolt up. If originality is key, wait till FordSix.com is online again and my suggestion its to ask for a Code 6 ex 81 Fox Ford T4.

Before that, list your location and Zip code, and ask for a complete case 1351 T4 and E1 model year bellhousing with the right trans tag, and make a request. Ask about a shifter. FoxChassis will help you with any other details you might need here.

Best wishes.

Many thanks for all the replies. Lot's of good information. I will consider the options.

Additional question : Door code "6" is shown for my transmission (Borg Warner 4-speed. Will a Tremec 4 speed SROD with door code"4" fit my application of the 200 CID straight 6 cyl ??? Marti report shows that only 3,341 cars were produced with the 200 CID and Borg Warner 4 speed. I'm looking for a needle in a 41 year old haystack I know. Looking for options as well. Any replies are most welcome. This car has 29,000 original miles so I'm hoping to keep an original trans if possible but would consider the Tremic if it will fit.

3341 made for that body code (15) only. Thats how stats on Marti reports work. There were three other body codes (10, 12, 13).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The stick shift options continued on the other Fairmont and Zephyr line for 1981 as well. Parkwood60 and one of his associates at TTAB found a few SROD or T4 1981 gearboxes in the quest for 24 Hours of LeMonz supremacy.

So its the 2nd most common 1981 stickshift..and I was very conservative with the 6000 figure, as Mick said above.

The Jeep T4 is exactly the same as the Ford T4. If its got 1351 cast on the housong, your dough is bread. The AMC 258 on Jeeps and AMCs ( without the four wheel drive option ) will have the basic case. The extension hising also came with the NP transfer case or the FF viscous coupling, so mixing and matching might be requires

Once again, thanks to all who have responded to my questions. I believe I have a route to pursue and get this little car back in operation.