Close

Thread: 85 ltd 3.8

Default 85 ltd 3.8

Hi
    Need help. I have a 85 ltd 3.8, been sitting awhile. Cranks no start, has fuel pressure 40-45 psi. Injectors pulse-but no fuel.
    When I pour fuel down the engine, it starts and runs until it burns the fuel.
    This a new car for me, so I'm in the dark

Thanks Jess

Welcome X-CABBRONCO

Historically on the board are:-

Blocked catalysts and EGR are common. The EGR sensor is quite complicated in process, but don't touch it untill you have some Key Off Engine One codes.

Leaking throttle gasket or lost signal from the Hall Effect sensor within the TFI or the any of the other sensor's stops the EFi doing its business.

1. All 3.8's have a TSB on the throttle body gasket. Check that there is no leak

2. KOEO codes need to be pulled. From these, a targeted flag will then push you to check those systems.

3. Then a check of the signal from the TFI.

4. the JACook shot glass electrical connector treatment shout be done with a proper OTC wire block connecter removal tool, and the proper trimming of the little nibs that secure the contacts.

See WalkingTall's and 86frankenstang's posts

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    In addition to MattJ, and anyone named Zak, or emery..something, or JCook, or Haystack and et al , another person to check with is Ukravit. ......
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...A-3-8-CFI-woes
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...stalls-at-idle

FEP Member

It would be worth replacing the injectors and giving the throttle body a quick rebuild/cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xctasy

Thanks for the reply. I check the links, my car doesn't have any of those problems. The car only has 28,000 miles.
    It ran fine when I park it, if I keep feeding gas it runs fine. My dumb common sense tells me it's the injectors.
    What does the EGR have to do with the the injectors pulsing and no fuel??

Thanks again

86lx

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, what about the regulator, could it be bypassing?

EGR causes the computer to do oyher stuff to maintain idle. Any problems with other parts like the Engine coolant sensir, a loss of Throttle Position sensor signal, upsream air not working because of TAD or TAB issues, Idle Speed Control issues? MAP sensor not working....all that stuff has the ECM trying out programmed operations to bring the idle in spec. When too mucj is going on, it then hunts the curb idle, or wont work at all. As soon as you get a list of fault codes, you cant act on one step at a time. A fault code is always generated by a sensor not in range, there are about 6 key sensors and 12 key operations, and at various times, it logs them.

If its been out of action, then the Keep Alive Memory and fuel trim scalas will be wonky. Normally a fast idle above 1650 and below 3500 will help restore invalid learnt fuel trim calcs. Even better, a 60 mile drive.

Then check codes. Normally idle restores itself.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by X-CABBRONCO View Post
    86lx

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, what about the regulator, could it be bypassing?
    I’m not certain, but I don’t think the regulator would bypass 100%.

Full disclosure, my car is the same as 86frankenstang (father/son team). It sat for quite a few years and when we got back to it we had similar symptoms. We ended up replacing the injectors and IIRC that was the trick to getting it to run.

There were other issuing the way. A burnt circuit in the ECU gave us a hassle and we were tracing EGR fault codes constantly.

Ended up pulling the 6 and swapping in a 5.0

In your instance I would start with what makes sense. The injectors were not expensive and it was a pretty easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks ectasy and 86lx

I'll see what I can come up with.

xctasy

Thanks for the reply. I check the links, my car doesn't have any of those problems. The car only has 28,000 miles.
    It ran fine when I park it, if I keep feeding gas it runs fine. My dumb common sense tells me it's the injectors.
    What does the EGR have to do with the the injectors pulsing and no fuel??

Thanks again
    Probably is injectors. You should see what ethanol gas does to some of carb vehicles.
    Eats up inside if carb bowls.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

OX1

Thanks, I'm thinking so too. I can feel and hear the injectors pulsing, just no fuel. I just don't understand how I have good fuel pressure
    injectors pulsing but no fuel

FEP Senior Member

When you say the injectors pulse do you mean they are getting a signal? Just because they are getting a signal doesn't mean they are working mechanically.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

KevinVarnes
    what I mean is, I touch the injectors when some one turns the key on, I can feel and hear the injectors pulse

Hi again-UPDATE
    Ok, I replaced both injectors and replaced all the gaskets

The car started right up, ran on fast idle. As soon as it kick off fast idle it stalled. It started right up and runs rough now.
    If I slowly give it gas, it will stall-unless I give it a lot of gas
    Now please keep in mind I have no diagnostic tools and very limited experience with CFI

Thanks Jess

Hi again-UPDATE
    Ok, I replaced both injectors and replaced all the gaskets

The car started right up, ran on fast idle. As soon as it kick off fast idle it stalled. It started right up and runs rough now.
    If I slowly give it gas, it will stall-unless I give it a lot of gas
    Now please keep in mind I have no diagnostic tools and very limited experience with CFI

Thanks Jess

You check codes yet?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/fo...-and-retrieval

You have volt/ohm meter? I would start by checking TPS voltage. I assume you can't check MAP sensor, as that puts out a frequency (and usually only higher end automotive meters measure that). those are the two things that I think affect drivability the most (assuming you don't have any spark issues).

Here is a good article to get you started on the TPS

http://fuelinjectedford.com/page30.html

This article tells you about the MAP sensor

https://my.prostreetonline.com/2016/...50-map-sensor/
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

OX1
    Thanks your time and the links. As stated I neither the tools or skill to do as you suggested.
    I'm a Fabricator, so I will have to get a mobile mechanic to check it out $$$$$. Was hoping to do this on the cheap

At any rate Thanks again! Too all

OX1
    Thanks your time and the links. As stated I neither the tools or skill to do as you suggested.
    I'm a Fabricator, so I will have to get a mobile mechanic to check it out $$$$$. Was hoping to do this on the cheap

At any rate Thanks again! Too all
    5 dollars USA.

ANALOGUE MULTIMETER MULTITESTER TESTER TOOL VOLTS AMPS OHM
    PRODUCT CODE: PR510

"https://www.techexpress.co.nz/products/analogue-multimeter-tester?variant=35224828432"

Method:-

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Codes only require a jumper. The code reader is nothing more then a box thst flashes a light or beeps at you. Every test that can be performed can be done with a paper clip and a test light or analog meter.

https://youtu.be/z0ehA8cFTkc
    https://youtu.be/9QSiS6wf7oU

Here i am running the test for a guy on another forum who couldn't figure it out.

xctasy

Thank you! Will see what I can do.