Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

finally makin progress wiring it up. I mainly have the dual heated o2 sensors to worry about and which wires go to the ignition switch.
    Maybe our australian diode whiz/mad max helicopter pilot can provide some details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    Learning what I have so far for this project Id like to go back on my word here. your right about smog i guess theres no real downside to keeping it intact.
    Smog gear is integrated in the CFi and Sequential EFi 5.0's. The key thing is Upstream, Downstream AIR, tje TAB/TAD, the air pump, the EGR, the Evap Charcoal canister, the extra O2 sensor, the fault coding...all of that became integrated. But for 85 4bbls and everything Fox from 78 to 85 with a carb, the systems were manually controlled. So you can patch or add the 85 4bbl systems back in, and a gutted 60 pin EECiv can be patched in under the seat if you ever get problems from BAR or CARB. Its not a biggie.

The key switch and basic power supply and the fuel pump...you probably want to keep the entertainment system and power doors and I saw youd gutted out the EECIV fuel pump relay.

What are your needs?

Id just follow the wiring schematic and just focus on the MSD and Fuel pump relay. The accessory switch and powering up tje MS 37 pin ECM is easy.

Since you are running left and right bank fire with left and right O2 sensors, you just have to follow the schematic I posted in #17.

Anything you need, just holler.

For general wiring, have a look at Devin vanderhoof's site. Laura his g/f does the steady camera work.

He doesnt have the MSD four relay eight source output terminal posted yet, but I've not seen a nicer, more informative wiring help on the net yet.

See https://youtu.be/o8693ZJGQ5M

Hope your getting on okay Mr Ford.

Here is the 1986 wiring diagram to isolate those connectors.

http://www.mc-machine.com/pdf/1986.pdf

Default changing engine harness to megasquirt harness

Thanks mate, just recently got the car in a safe place where i can continue the project. you wouldn’t happen to know which wire on this nice new iat plug is ground? or does it not matter? anyways, i think im gonna just get a wideband o2 kit since the narrowbands are all melted and im making a new harness anyways, i left the backup light and neutral switch harness intact since it was independant, and I may just run the engine off of a switch and a button and figure out the body stuff later

Last edited by nigel; 10-10-2021 at 08:32 PM.

It probably doesnt matter, but the Intake Air Thermistor is a voltage return device that richens fuel when cold. It has one THA wire which supplies a 5 volt reference. E2 is the return voltage. You'll have to run a voltage meter at less than 5 volts to check.

See "https://autocar-inspection.blogspot.com/2021/04/intake-air-temperature-sensor-do-and-works.html?m=1"

https://autocar-inspection.blogspot....works.html?m=1

ahh ok so like a non polar variable resistor? also do you recommend any specific wideband kits that fit these cars best? like the same threads for the bung and a harness that fits right around the bellhousing etc? im gonna have to get new o2s anyway so i kinda want to just get the whole tuning setup.

Yep. Thats it basically. Many different terms exist for an IAT. Ms is an open source EECIV with GM sensors that uses a nice 100% closed loop control system, so more modern sensors "gell" with the great, simple and strong ages old style Speed Density system of GM style Cal Pac and EECIV logic. Tuner Studio acesses that stuff with a Visual Basic or Meta platform.

Bill Ambler from Ambler Race on FordSix and Mike Matosky from StangNet suggest the Innovate LM Wide band. It's expensive, but really solid. You can base calibrate it with Tricoretyhline or 2 Proponyl to stoichometery. I like narrow band stock parts, ( four O2 sensor 1986 exhaust) with an additional single Wide band O2. You can test catalyst operation and left and right bank with a stock narrow band and a volt meter. The Wideband O2 sensor, one bank only required. Port EFI is largely self correcting as long as the injector are kept clean.

its been awhile since I've posted an update, but after a whole lot of learning curve and solder later, the megasquirt harness install is a success, now i just have to figure out how to manipulate tunerstudio and get it to run for more than 5 seconds.
    i plan on getting the 86 mustang specific ron francis wiring kit to do the rest of the car, and i want to use the original gauge cluster so not sure yet how or if thats gonna work with the megasquirt setup.

[ATTACH]136955Name:  IMG_2067.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  114.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice work Nigel. I followed Mike 1157 from Ford Six, to Four Eyed Pride, to StangNet, and each time, he gained more help from DIY Auto Tune's best on line assistants. Keep on doing the great wiring work. Check in with 85MUSTANGGT and hold fast to your goals. Its been said of all Ford's emission era V8s that they are un-nessarily complicated, which is true in part. But if your a control systems guy, you will use the complication to control all aspects of the idle and cold start and wide open and cruise phases. The wire and hard graft gets you where you need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    For general wiring, have a look at Devin vanderhoof's site. Laura his g/f does the steady camera work.

He doesnt have the MSD four relay eight source output terminal posted yet, but I've not seen a nicer, more informative wiring help on the net yet.

See https://youtu.be/o8693ZJGQ5M
    Thank you for mentioning Mr. Vanderhoof. His videos are some of the best!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12