Close

Default Heater Core Frustration x 2

Hello,

My 79 has no factory AC.
    P.O. had the car outside with no hood and no motor and no heater hoses for who knows how long. Factory heater core is brass/copper style, and looks kinda rough so I want to replace it.
    Ordered first heater core, and it would not fit.
    That big rubber gasket that wraps all around the heater core will not fit due to the shape of the rear of the heater core. This will not allow the cover on the back of the heater box to fit. (Too long)
    I figured that I had ordered the wrong one, so I went to LMR where the picture seems correct for my big rubber gasket to fit. I almost fell over when I opened the box that came today and it is the same damn heater core as the first one.
    I’m kinda pissed since the picture shows a different shape heater core than the one I received.
    I do not want to cut up my original gasket if possible.
    Is there a source for a 79 non-AC heater core that will actually fit? I saw some on eBay but they were very expensive and didn’t look much better than my original.

Any help would be great thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I took some pics.
    These are obviously different lengths

Name:  bXxmkT.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  228.6 KB

Measured the stock heater core with its seal installed, seems to be ~ 9-1/2” long.

Name:  xmZ9Fl.jpg
Size:  187.9 KB

the heater core I received, seems to be ~ 9” long.

Name:  bkYa4S.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  210.6 KB

The new heater core with the original seal. I had to stretch it a little but I am not comfortable installing the new heater core this way.

Name:  fcmSzo.jpg
Size:  215.5 KB

original heater core seal not stretched for reference

Name:  V3evva.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  242.3 KB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

And finally, here is the pic from LMR website

Name:  FjiNOz.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  113.7 KB

Does this look anything like the heater core I received?

Name:  gGOrRf.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  313.1 KB
    Last edited by massacre; 10-12-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Did your new one come with foam tape to wrap around it? I think if you do that, it will fit in its space well enough. That's what they have you do with the A/C versions. They are obviously smaller, but the foam tape makes up for it. It's a lame solution but it's something.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Did your new one come with foam tape to wrap around it? I think if you do that, it will fit in its space well enough. That's what they have you do with the A/C versions. They are obviously smaller, but the foam tape makes up for it. It's a lame solution but it's something.
    Thanks for the response!
    It didn’t come with any extra foam or anything.
    You’re right, it is lame hahaha
    I might just put the old one back in, since I have no carpet in the car and super easy to change out with no AC
    Last edited by massacre; 10-12-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Yeah, if it doesn't leak. Copper is supposed to be better anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Maybe you can get it checked out prior to reinstalling? Might be worth piece of mind. Good luck to you.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

If you have a local radiator shop, they should be able to test your heater core and verify if its still good. That would be the best option.

As for the replacement parts, Remember these cars are only getting older and "correct" parts will only get harder to find, unless they are reproduced as accurate reproductions. Items such as the heater core, evap core, etc are general wear items and most people will not spend big $$ to have an exact replica.

The replacement parts will physically fit inside your heater box as mentioned, but may require some work on your behalf in regards to foam and sealing. Unfortunately that is just part of the deal with these older cars. There just aren't enough 1979 non A/C Foxes needing an original style heater core and therefore part vendors and manufacturers combine part numbers when possible. The ole' it fits, but isn't a true bolt on replacement. I am sure that's not what you want to hear, but in my experience this will only happen more and more as these cars age. Best of luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!

Well to be honest, I don’t know whether it leaks or not because I bought the car as a roller. It might leak, but I have no way of knowing. Well there is only 1 way to know lol

Radiator shop is a great idea, There was a top notch radiator shop in the area, this guy was really talented. Real old school. He had hangers on the wall with lit torches going all the time. And I think he worked alone, his wife worked the counter.
    He had tons of experience, you could tell by watching him work that he had an extensive understanding of different non ferrous metals and how they react to heat.
    But unfortunately he passed away a couple years ago which was very unfortunate. The amount of knowledge and experience that died with him is sad.
    I’ll ask around and see if there is another shop around, I figure there might be. Thanks for that suggestion!

I understand the point about replacement parts. I totally get it.
    My beef is that the picture on the site that I purchased from clearly shows a heater core that would work great.
    Except that was not what I received. No extra foam, no explanation as to why it is different, or instructions on how to make their product compatible.
    If the picture is wrong, and does not represent the actual product, then change the dang picture then! lol
    Almost like false advertising at that point.

FEP Power Member

You can have your original rebuilt.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You can have your original rebuilt.
    Thanks!
    That’s awesome, I would love to do that.
    Do you have any recommendations on where to send it to?
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I understand the point about replacement parts. I totally get it.
    My beef is that the picture on the site that I purchased from clearly shows a heater core that would work great.
    Except that was not what I received. No extra foam, no explanation as to why it is different, or instructions on how to make their product compatible.
    If the picture is wrong, and does not represent the actual product, then change the dang picture then! lol
    Almost like false advertising at that point.
    I completely agree with you and understand the frustrations. I have been there too myself on many occasions. As for the picture shown, the odds are that is what the part originally was and their supplier has made a running change to the actual part supplied with no change in part number. LMR and most other vendors will have no idea about this unless they happen to open the box and see for themselves or customers inform them of the difference. I can't guarantee they will change the photo or if anything might change, but you might consider sending an email with photos or give LMR a call and let them know about the differences and change. LMR has always had excellent customer service and generally will do almost anything to get things right. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks! I will do that

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-19...4AAOSwFMdaWnpo

If it was me, this would be gone... but I need an AC version. Go NOS baby!

Kenny

Thank you!
    I may have found a lead on one in slightly better condition, but if that falls through I will def buy that one!

FEP Power Member

Any radiator shop can rebuild them with a new core. Not cheap but in line with NOS pricing.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Well that tears it!
    I ended up just putting the old empty one back in.

Yet another company that sends out products that do not match the description, is Rock Auto.

Name:  dcaSkG.png
Views: 184
Size:  175.7 KB

Notice how this heater core is copper/brass, and has the bulges at the ends for the wraparound gasket? Looks perfect, just like my old one.
    Well the one I received is aluminum and the wraparound gasket does not fit. At least it’s not the same Spectra brand lol.

I’ll tackle this in the spring.

Local purchase is best. Can check fit at counter.
    Got mine from oreally? in 2013. 1979 2.3 no ac.
    399019. Prior core was p/n #2-350, 18.00.
    No problems. Is core #3 since car was built. I keep receipts for lifetime parts.
    Relatively easy to replace have no problem doing this every 10 years or so. Hour or 2.
    Looks like some brands eliminated the factory rubber band in the name of universal fit.
    Oreally? does not show the same core anymore.
    Advance does show the correct p/n and pic. Carquest brand. Looks like mine did when new w/ blue caps.
    What sucks is no stores in Detroit area stock them. S/O. WTF. It fits a million cars.
    Or online sellers charging bs vintage prices. I support fair pricing and retailers, not gougers in the name of correctness.
    Kept the last core just in case of future scarcity. Did not do the warranty exchange.

Name:  heater core 3030.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  108.4 KB

Thanks for that info gr79!
    I also noticed some charging very high prices.
    I am guessing that the part just changed, and people weren’t notified?
    I’ll prob just end up getting my stock piece repaired locally.
    I just looked at the one from advance, I can call them and maybe see it in person first, I’ll try that.
    thanks again
    Last edited by massacre; 10-30-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Honestly I think one of the issues you are running into here is that so many of the aftermarket replacement parts are only made by one or two companies, but private labeled by 20+ retailers/sellers. I have been out of the automotive parts business for awhile now, but I remember many years ago in regards to timing chains and timing gears. There were only 2 companies in the US that made timing gear sets, so it didn't matter if it said TRW, Cloyes, Comp Cams, Crane, etc the part only came out of one of two factories. I know with so much production going to China now, things have changed a bit, but I bet this is a similar issue that only a couple of manufacturers make this heater core and so you keep getting the same part no matter what the box says. I know that doesn't help, but just thought I would mention it to hopefully keep you from going crazy over this. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks for the response. I’m sure you are 100% correct on this.
    Seems to be the way things are now.
    I just wish these websites would update their pictures.
    i see on advance auto website that I would have to call to order what looks to be the correct heater core(per their picture).
    I suppose I could explain the situation and then open the box once it gets to the store.
    I’ll return the 2 I have here and just hope for the best.
    Thanks for the support!

Default heat is on

Also have attempted to partually restore the hvac box and vent foam seals some time back. Left box installed.
    Fresh tape and new foam where access was available. Less leakage.
    Ha am ready to try a 12v bilge blower i have to somehow aid the blower motor push out more air.
    Have a portable dash style defrost gadget but never really used one.
    Car has no carpeting or padding and sure can be cold in there for an hour or two in winter.
    Repaired lots of rust holes. No doubt let a lot of cold air in, as did a old damaged door window run seal.
    Main thing is a focus to add more air speed to defrost quicker. Warm not hot.
    Fact, defrost heat cracked my Ranger ws.
    Almost nuclear and quick hot heat, windstorm blower, oem 27 year old core, small cabin space.

Common aftermarket and replacement parts sources.
    Chain auto
    Resto sites NPD, Summit, Jegs, LMR, etc
    Online sites
    Salvage
    Swap meets
    Dealer

Heater core. This one another common part used across many Ford car lines and years.
    Someone decided to create a certain design close to the same.
    Usually to benefit company bottom lines, easier manufacture, less inventory space.
    Ford installed a thick rubber cushion for some reason. Desire is to keep it.

OEM and aftermarket parts suppliers have to move on to provide parts needed for more common newer products in use.
    Demand dictates what will continue in production and who is interested in picking up from there later on.
    Hopefully eventually our era cars will benefit from parts availability as many 60's vehicles enjoy before its too late.
    Moe and more have to modify generic or the like parts to work. Lucky Fox chassis' had a long run and has decent interchangeability.
    Newer cars are overly complex, short model runs, less parts interchange, they may not be on the road as long as old ones have been.

APDI 'chain' is pretty much the norm. Engineering in house, produced globally, imported, then warehoused many times.
    https://www.apdius.com/about/

great shop in Ann Arbor closed but found a rebuild shop in Adrian that I had them fix a Radiator this spring for me called petes 517 263 3230 maybe the solution you need I maybe able to help.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Thanks, i was able to find a used heater core as a backup