Close

FEP Member

Default 86 5.0 T-Stat Housing Plug Size

Can anyone tell me the diameter and thread pitch for the pipe plug on the T-Stat housing on an 86 5.0?

Replacements that I see online say theirs is M16 x 1.5

Want to use that hole for an electric fan temp probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm. The LMR ones are 3/8npt.

I would grab one of each and gently try threading them in to see if either is right. It only means drain ing a wee bit of coolant.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Hm. The LMR ones are 3/8npt.

I would grab one of each and gently try threading them in to see if either is right. It only means drain ing a wee bit of coolant.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Definitely not 3/8. The plug measures around 11/16. Could be M16. Not 100% sure it’s an OEM housing.

Waiting for the fan controller manufacturer to get back to me on the size of their temp sensor.

The plug is 3/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread) which has a nominal outside diameter of 0.675". NPT is not measured by the diameter of the outside of the thread as in a standard fastener, it is determined by the size of the pipe. NPT is a tapered thread so that the pipe, or in this case the plug, will tighten in and create a seal.

NPT measurements don't correspond to actual measurements of the plug or size of the hole. Here's a picture of a 3/8" NPT tap which specifies use with a 37/64" drill. Name:  P1370896.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  256.7 KB

Ditto, I put my Auto Meter electric temp sensor there. Tapped it with a 3/8 pipe tap. Don't go too deep, the hole is fairly big and you can bottom out the adapter pretty darn quick. Tap a little, try the adapter...a little more, etc.

Kenny

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    NPT measurements don't correspond to actual measurements of the plug or size of the hole. Here's a picture of a 3/8" NPT tap which specifies use with a 37/64" drill. Name:  P1370896.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  256.7 KB
    Yeah, I learned that today.

Confirmed with Proform that the adapter is 3/8 NPT. Fairly certain the plug in t-stat housing is the same.

I’ll chase the threads and run it.

Finishing up wiring tonight.