Close

Default 3.8 Duraspark distributor cap adapter

This is not only my first Mustang, but my first Ford and as such do not know as much as I wish I did when searching for parts. I am trying to locate a part number for a distributor cap adapter for a Duraspark distributor after a CFI/TFI to carb conversion. I was unaware that the distributor caps were of a different diameter (V8 & V6) and every local parts store seems to have the larger adapter only in their catalogs. A visit to my local Ford dealer equally fruitless. A search here did bring up a few posts indicating they are different but no additional information. The cap style I need uses clips not screws to hold the adapter to the distributor and cap to the adapter.

I thank you in advance for any assistance!

When Walking-Tall has some spare breath in his lungs, he might help.

This is the part http://i.imgur.com/Q31tKWI.png

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Prior to today's wrenching, I couldn't resist a mock-up to see what's what for clearances etc., and snapped some pics...

It took some fiddling (slight rotations, like 1/8 turn at a time with a SECURELY taped together extension and socket) with the oil pump drive shaft, but the distributor dropped in nice where it needs to be in the limited space surrounded by the thermostat and bypass hoses.

So, all that's phased (10-degrees BTDC) and ready to drop in later. The Holley onto this intake is another story...

That stupid little heat riser vacuum valve is squarely in the way of the bottom of the throttle lever.

No problemo, besides the destruction it took to remove it, parts of it will be reused and the system will be closed off.

Thank you!

A read through his build thread turned up the part number (Standard FD-170)!

Now to dig around on the web and find one...

Nice Sleuth work Sir!

Mike is a truly Great electrician with Great trouble shooting skills and Great visual Draftsmanship. Mike the 3 G.

He is also hinged in with a group of sensational carb experts, who I have drawn upon to fix problems nobody knew they had yet.

You'll like it here. We aint perfect, but sure have had exactly the same problems. And the cool thing is...if you want it Carbed and Dura-Sparked or you want it OEM Patriot Missal grade EFi...WE DONT CARE. We know what goes wrong, and everyone has a plan to fix it.

... pretty sure I got the 3.8 V6 DuraSpark II distributor cap adapter from RockAuto...

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Well, apparently I ordered the wrong one if the part number "FD-170" is correct. Any ideas where I can find one of these elusive beasts? Rock Auto, EBay, even the Standard Motor Products website is a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejoejava View Post
    Well, apparently I ordered the wrong one if the part number "FD-170" is correct. Any ideas where I can find one of these elusive beasts? Rock Auto, EBay, even the Standard Motor Products website is a bust.

All parts listed A, B, C below:-

All Duraspark sixes except the 240/300 Big Six, used the same Motorcraft cap and rotor. Motorcraft DH-367 and DR-314

It is a pre electronic Autolite with a large cap adaptor that allows to new Motorcraft cap and rotor to fit the old base. There are two adaptors, one for V8'S, one for sixes/V6's.

Cap:-
    E5DZ 12106 A DH 367 B

THIS IS A NOS FORD THUNDERBIRD V6 DISTRIBUTOR CAP

THIS FITS :

1982 1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD 3.8L V6 232ci VIN CODE 6

1977 1978 1979 FORD MUSTANG 2.8L V6 VIN CODE Z

1980 1981 1982 FORD MUSTANG 3.3L V6 200ci VIN CODE T/B

1983 FORD MUSTANG 3.8L V6 232ci VIN CODE 6

1980 1981 1982 1983 3.3L V6 200ci 232ci VIN CODE T/B/X/6

Use "https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1982,fairmont,3.3l+200cid+l6,1127764,ignition ,distributor+cap,7120"

or"https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1982,granada,3.8l+232cid+v6,1130106,ignition, distributor+cap,7120"

A. The distributor cap is STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FD151T

B. The adaptor is this one, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FD155

C. the Rotor is STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FD118T T-Series

Rock Auto has it, $2.56; wholesaler closeout only 1 left; https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/st...+adapter,10738

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper1966 View Post
    This is not only my first Mustang, but my first Ford and as such do not know as much as I wish I did when searching for parts. I am trying to locate a part number for a distributor cap adapter for a Duraspark distributor after a CFI/TFI to carb conversion. I was unaware that the distributor caps were of a different diameter (V8 & V6) and every local parts store seems to have the larger adapter only in their catalogs. A visit to my local Ford dealer equally fruitless. A search here did bring up a few posts indicating they are different but no additional information. The cap style I need uses clips not screws to hold the adapter to the distributor and cap to the adapter.

I thank you in advance for any assistance!
    For DBCooper1966

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FD155 Distributor Cap Adapter

For Coffeejoejava , everything else! A 6 cylinder Durspark II is an A, B, C , D deal.

Part A. The distributor cap
    Part B. The adaptor
    Part C. the Rotor
    Part D. the "non EECIV" but MCU operated Durspark II 1982-1983 3.8 lire 232 cubic inch Essex 90 Distributor body.

I took a chance and ordered one...a FD-156T...perfect fit. Got lucky this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejoejava View Post
    I took a chance and ordered one...a FD-156T...perfect fit. Got lucky this time.
    Aha, the 3.8 V6 was always the 4.2 Liter D code replacement engine, that uses its V8 Diameter distributor cap adaptor!

use 1982 Ford Mustang GL 4.2L V8 Gas Check Fit

"https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-FD156T-Distributor/dp/B004C0I1G4"

Standard Motor Products FD156T Distributor Cap Adapter
    Brand: Standard Motor Products
    Country Of Origin : United States
    The Package Height Of The Product Is 4.814 Inches
    The Package Length Of The Product Is 3.695 Inches
    The Package Width Of The Product Is 4.459 Inches

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...1873595&sr=8-2

ONE FD170 Adapter left on AMAZON! The FD156T was incorrect...too large. Must have been for a V8.