Close

Default Recommendations for new seat foam in 1982 Black Magic

Any recommendations for new seat foam for front and back on a 1982 Black Magic? Thanks in advance.Name:  front and back seat.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  100.2 KB

If those are your front seats, that foam looks pretty good! I have used the aftermarket foam, and it is a LOT stiffer that the original stuff! It makes you sit higher in the car and is not as comfortable. I wish my seat would have been better so I didn't have to go that direction.

Just my .02

Kenny

I replaced the drivers side in my 85 vert with leather. I bought it through a third party vendor...only way they do it...from TMI Upholstrey. It's definitely stiffer and the old foam had cuts in the bottom from the wire support frame. The new foam has a mesh that won't allow that to happen. I was not happy with it at first given I sat up higher and the top of my head was above the windshield...but it did settle after a few miles and am happy with it now. I was only going to replace the drivers side but my wife really liked the new foam and insisted I get the passenger side too or else I would be riding solo...LOL...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

The new foam is way stiff and you will sit way too high. If those are not trashed I would leave it alone. Obviously if the foam is done it's done. I get it. What area do you live? Maybe someone (who isn't scared of Covid) might let you sit in one with the new aftermarket foam so you can decide for yourself.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks Kenny, I'm leaning towards trying to keep the old foam and work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    The new foam is way stiff and you will sit way too high. If those are not trashed I would leave it alone. Obviously if the foam is done it's done. I get it. What area do you live? Maybe someone (who isn't scared of Covid) might let you sit in one with the new aftermarket foam so you can decide for yourself.
    I'm leaning towards working with the older foam, thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I replaced the drivers side in my 85 vert with leather. I bought it through a third party vendor...only way they do it...from TMI Upholstrey. It's definitely stiffer and the old foam had cuts in the bottom from the wire support frame. The new foam has a mesh that won't allow that to happen. I was not happy with it at first given I sat up higher and the top of my head was above the windshield...but it did settle after a few miles and am happy with it now. I was only going to replace the drivers side but my wife really liked the new foam and insisted I get the passenger side too or else I would be riding solo...LOL...
    Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try and work with the old foam.

FEP Power Member

You can glue denim fabric over the bottom surface where is cuts in to repair the foam.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You can glue denim fabric over the bottom surface where is cuts in to repair the foam.
    I think that is going to be the best plan, thanks Kevin.

FEP Power Member

You can also replace the hammock or seat wires and springs to firm up an old seat.

My 84 GT has new covers over the old foam and they are pretty soft. My wife loves it but I’m thinking new springs and maybe new foam.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles