Close

Default Should I do a T-top conversion?

So about a month ago I found this coupe on Facebook Marketplace. It is a 1986, with a 4 cylinder and an automatic. Its nothing special, but it's a mostly original, un-molested, 99% rust free car. I was thinking its an excellent candidate for a nice little built. My initial thoughts are: brake and suspension upgrade, mild 5.0 with 5 speed, fresh black paint, and a T-top conversion. I currently have all the parts and a donor car for the T-top conversion.

Now here's where I need your opinions. Should I do the T-top conversion, or just leave the roof alone? I have been driving it almost daily for the past month, and my goodness, its a great little car. It doesn't have any squeaks, rattles, or moans. It just "feels" solid all around. I am having second thoughts on cutting the roof for a T-top. I am afraid the results will leave squeaks, rattles, and minor leaks. I have had 3 T-tops, and every one of them leaked just a little. However, the thought of having a nice T-top coupe is just flat-out cool to me. I am torn on what direction to go.

So what are your thoughts? What would you do? Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for the opinions and advice!
    -Dustin
    Name:  Snip20200927_1.png
Views: 213
Size:  2.05 MB

Usually T tops are a good fix for idiots cutting up the roof with an aftermarket sunroof

Notches with ttops are sexy

but so are solid roofs

if the roof is good, leave it alone

Looks great as is
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Leave the roof like it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you are going to keep the car and you want the T-tops then I say go for it.

If you are planning on selling the car in the future, I would leave it as it. Some will find the T-tops cool, but since not an original install may they may shy away. Others will not be interested due to the T-top leaks, squeaks, and rattles. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My 85 notch is the same....mostly original, un-molested, 99% rust free car. I thought it would be cool to have a sunroof or T-Tops but I could not bring myself to cut anything on mine as I saved it from being torn up into another drag car. Instead I just repainted it and now saving money for a 5.0 swap.
    Besides I have a 88 vert so I already have a roofless Pony.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

It is a freaking 4 cylinder / automatic car you are converting. It will not drop the value putting in T-Tops since the VIN won't support the V8 anyway. I say go for it! If you like it and it is what you want, jump on in! I have an 82 5.0 GLX that has the rusty sunroof issue. I purchased all the items for the conversion and plan on completing it over the winter.

It will be a cool car when finished!

Kenny

My thoughts - if you want to daily drive it, keep the solid roof.
    If you plan on turning it into a cruiser, show car, or weekend ride, go for the T-Tops.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

If you ttop it I would weld in frame connecters before you cut.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

FEP Power Member

i wouldn't even attempt this. But that's because I've never welded anything and have no idea how to pull it off.

But this thread got me thinking. Anyone have an idea on if it would be possible to add a removable targa roof, like on a Corvette, to something never meant to have a feature like that?

I was babysitting my niece recently and watching one of her cartoons gave me a crazy idea. But it's definitely something I'd have to pay someone else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    i wouldn't even attempt this. But that's because I've never welded anything and have no idea how to pull it off.

But this thread got me thinking. Anyone have an idea on if it would be possible to add a removable targa roof, like on a Corvette, to something never meant to have a feature like that?

I was babysitting my niece recently and watching one of her cartoons gave me a crazy idea. But it's definitely something I'd have to pay someone else to do.
    The issue with a targa top and even the T-top on the Mustang is that the roof has virtually no structure supporting it in the middle. The mid brace is no real structurs in that it literally clips into the side rails and is expanding foam glued to the roof skin. The stucture is more there for the dome light than any real structure or support of the roof. The T-Top adds in a structure to support the glass panels and add back some structure/strength lost when the side roof rails are cut. The same reinforcement would be needed for a Targa top. You would need to build a reinforcement for both the front and back of the Targa roof opening. The targa top would also have to be fabricated. You could use the end seals from a T Top and some custom weatherstripping from side to side on the body to make it all work. A ton of work that would be cool and unique, but doubt its worth the headaches and expenses when a T-top does essentially the same thing without all the added custom work and fabrication. Just my .02 and I am constantly doing custom/crazy/stupid stuff.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have 1 word for you...... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! dont do it IMO
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

If it was me I wouldn't do it to a car that looks nice like your coupe,but if it needed body and paint u dam right I'll put T-tops lol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

They do look good

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk