Close

Default Warning Lights Issues

Hello,

I have been dealing with some issues regarding the warning lights on my 79 dash. Last week, I basically had only the alt light with key in run.
    I was able to get the brake warning light to come on briefly with key in start, but that is no longer working. I could not get the engine warning light to come on by grounding the oil press/water temp wires. Seat belt warning would not come on either.

So I checked the bulbs, replaced 1 of them. Did some testing and tried it out again.
    Now I have alt light and engine light with key in run, the seat belt light comes on & then turns off(normal). I am really happy about this!
    But I cannot get the brake warning light to come on with key in start (bulb test). I am able to power up the socket on the bench and the bulb lights up.
    My next move is to check the parking brake and see if the light turns on then. Then I guess I’ll check all the points in the circuit and see what the deal is.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Well when I ground the park brake switch, the brake warning light does come on with key in run.
    Which is great, this is the first time all 4 warning lights have worked.
    Does anyone know why the warning light would not work in the start position?
    Thanks for any help
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Was able to find the problem. The wires going to/from the brake light switch on the stock prop valve were in rough shape under the factory tape.
    Hard to be under the hood testing the circuit, and in the driver’s seat turning the key to the start position at the same time.
    Had to get creative, but I was able to figure it out.
    Now all of my warning lights are working correctly for the first time since I bought the car!
    Only thing I need to fix besides my tail lights, is the seat belt buzzer.

if the key is in the ignition, and the driver’s door is open, the buzzer will sound. That is normal.
    When they key is in run(door closed), the seatbelt warning light comes on for like 7 seconds and then turns off. That is also normal.
    But I’m pretty sure that the buzzer is also supposed to sound for the same amount of time as the warning light, and then turn off.
    I believe this has something to do with the seat belt circuit, I’ll go through that circuit next and figure that out.

I was able to get the seatbelt buzzer to work correctly today by jumping out a small grey 2-pin connector that is grounded under the driver’s side of the bench seat with a black wire. The other side of the connector appears to be brown, the manual calls for BR/LB there. I believe it is the “seatbelt buckle switch” which is open with belt buckled. The seatbelt buzzer only comes on initially with key in run if the driver’s seat belt is not used.
    This explains why the buzzer did not sound with the key in run, as the connector was open, and the car thought my seatbelt was buckled.
    When I jumped that connector and grounded it, the car thought the seat belt was not buckled, so it caused the buzzer to work correctly which is awesome.

I know my state can be tough with inspections. Even though they are only idiot lights and buzzers, I feel like I should get them all working correctly, as well as lights, horn wipers parking brake etc. I don’t want to insult the inspector, plus in my state the inspections are filmed with 4 cameras (no that’s not a joke). So even if the inspector wants to let me slide, he kinda can’t.

Plus once the car is inspection ready, and the drivetrain goes in, I can concentrate on that and know that all of the other stuff is working, to have a good foundation to build on. I will be swapping in a lot of electrical stuff, and trying to combine the electrical for the engine/trans with the stock fox stuff.
    I know the engine/trans wiring works because I already had it running in another car. So if I can get both systems working properly it seems like my best shot at getting it done with less hassle (hopefully). If either one is sketchy, then seems like more question marks to me

Once I adjust the e brake cable all of the warning lights on the dash should be working

I just read this and wanted to tell you I'm impressed with this kind of meticulous wiring "detective" work! You're on here asking for advice, but I think you should be giving it instead!

But I have to ask... what state are you in? I want to make sure I don't move there lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I just read this and wanted to tell you I'm impressed with this kind of meticulous wiring "detective" work! You're on here asking for advice, but I think you should be giving it instead!

But I have to ask... what state are you in? I want to make sure I don't move there lol!
    Thanks for the compliment!
    I am in MA

Was able to get all 4 of my rear lights working finally. Tails, stop, blinkers and hazards. Ended up being a combination of crappy socket connections, and 1 bad socket. The replacement socket is from NAPA and is not really the greatest fit, but I am on the lookout for a tail lamp socket that will actually fit and work better..
    If anyone has a spare known good one, I am very interested.
    Thanks!