Close

Thread: Trans tunnel

Default Trans tunnel

Any idea on why someone would cut out the tunnel and then reweld it ? Car was built as a stick so there was no need to add a stick hump. Used a Hurst short throw shifter so no mods necessary.
    Name:  223D6BD7-F713-4955-8F2F-80FB5A077B81.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  225.5 KB
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Not sure, it could be factory cut out? Mine looks exactly the same and mine was stock.
    Attachment 134131
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Factory cut out for the stick shift. Pretty sure there is only one floor pan which is designed to support the automatic shifter. The factory then cuts the area out for the stick shift and then the transmission hump is added to provide a nice foundation for the transmission seal and boot. Pretty sure this for the T5 cars as the earlier cars with the SROD definitely look different from underneath and the SROD doesn't have the added hump.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey and Sask84. Your thoughts and pics align with my suspicions. I was thinking with the mid year offering of the T5 and that it being a Feb 83 build it might have been a quick and cheap way to minimize part numbers in the system. Since the car was built for the Press Fleet, I also wondered if it got built differently to get the 5 speed out to the magazine earliest or if it was another unmentioned mod that Bill Stroppe did when he balanced and blueprinted the motor before delivery. I was expecting clean spot welds on a factory hump install but based on Sask84s pic, I can conclude it’s just 80s Ford factory quality work.
    Mystery solved!
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    Thanks Trey and Sask84. Your thoughts and pics align with my suspicions. I was thinking with the mid year offering of the T5 and that it being a Feb 83 build it might have been a quick and cheap way to minimize part numbers in the system. Since the car was built for the Press Fleet, I also wondered if it got built differently to get the 5 speed out to the magazine earliest or if it was another unmentioned mod that Bill Stroppe did when he balanced and blueprinted the motor before delivery. I was expecting clean spot welds on a factory hump install but based on Sask84s pic, I can conclude it’s just 80s Ford factory quality work.
    Mystery solved!
    My 83 with T5 looks exactly like your picture and I bought it new. I thought it odd that looked so rough for a factory car, but it sounds like they are all that way.

FEP Senior Member

Yep, as everyone mentioned, that is a factory mod. Quality is job 1 back in the 80s.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Looks factory but when the T-5 transmission became available even the Ford Motorsport installation kit included a taller tower for factory 4-speed car conversion. I guess Ford thought there wasn't enough room in the SROD opening even though my 82 has a T-5 in the stock opening.Name:  KIMG1191~2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  119.7 KB
    Last edited by 82gt50; 10-10-2020 at 08:48 AM.

The T5 will fit in the same tunnel space as the SROD. The trans tunnel hump provides a more accessible opening to install the shifter base bolts and provides a nice flat area for the improved trans tunnel seal/gasket.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    Yep, as everyone mentioned, that is a factory mod. Quality is job 1 back in the 80s.
    Ouch! Easy on the old guys, they didn't have the benefit of computer controlled robots to quickly cut precise clean holes in the floor. Then again Fox Mustangs had roof to quarter panel welds seamlessly hand finished not just a quick pinch weld and cover it up with a cheap molding like modern cars.

The T5 gearbox case and SROD stock trans tunnel profile first apeared on the 6 cylinder T4 equiped 1981 Capris and Mustangs. Around 10,000 were made with tge Birg Warner stick shift, its last year behind the 3.3 engine.

Ford decided to improve serice room for the shifter to avoid dropping the engine mounts cross member. The 1982 Mustangs and Capris didnt have enough head room for hatted state troupers in SSP pursuit vehicles, so Ford at the Dearborn plant restamped a different , deep floor for 82 with a differemt cross member.

Ford opted out on making any T4 or T5 equipped cars at all for the 1982 model year; all Borg Warners inventory went to Nissan USA and AMC and GM ( 280 ZX, Concorde/Eagles, and S10/ F body ). Ford used the Tremec T170 instead.

Its safe to say, Ford werent really sure how the stick shift Mustangs and Capris would play out, and 1981 saw the closure of the San Jose plant, so the Dearborn plant was too busy but to do anything thing except custom inventory build the T5 Mustangs...and they werent ready for the July 1982 build up of 1983 Stangs and Capris.

FEP Member

It's interesting to read some the behind-the-scenes history like this. It might be more interesting to know which bean counter killed what features we wish Ford had put into the Mustang/Capri.