Close

Thread: EECIV gurus?

Threaded View

Default EECIV gurus?

Guys,

I'm at a loss.

88 powertrain and Engine/ECM wiring, 86 car.

Car runs, starts and drives around fine. Just won't rev over 4K or at high loads where it breaks up really bad. I changed to TW heads and ported Exploder intake recently and it still does it.

Been through codes and nothing there but the stuff for all the missing emissions crap like EGR, EVAP, TAB TAD. O2s are there, new and working. Basically the EEC is set up to run stand alone. No clutch interlock or other body harness stuff.

Obviously checked the coil and dizzy and it's sparking on both. New cap/rotor. Wires are old Ford motorsport 8mm but pass the 1000 ohm/foot test. Fuel pump, filter and pressure all look good. Cleaned stock injectors and rails out when I had it apart and verified they all work. TPS tested out ok but, I'm putting a new one anyway next week.

No tuning makes any difference, even adding large amounts of fuel or pulling fuel doesn't seem to affect it, so, I'm ruling it out a tuning issue. Especially since it was similarly flat and powerless with the stock E7s.

The only thing that's kinda weird about the install is, when I put it in, I couldn't get 12v to the start signal on the TFI so, in the spirit of don't get it right, get it going, I tapped into a switched 12v power hooked that up to the start input on the TFI and put a momentary switch under the dash so I can send 12v to the TFI at startup and then cut it when the engine fires. That seems to work fine. I did temporarily supply straight switched 12v to this and, the fuel pump prime cycle stopped happening but the car would still start and run. I put it back to momentary and the prime cycle returned.

My question is: Is there anything about what I did to get the TFI to work that will produce an unexpected problem and cause this stuttering and breakup? The EFI doesn't seem very smart on these things. This kind of stuff happens when you get your parts from Junkyard Inc. but, I'd like to solve it.

Thanks for any feedback....
    Last edited by 4eyedblind; 09-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.