Close

Default Ron Francis Wiring Whole Car

I'm thinking about going with the Ron Francis wiring kit for my 83 GT. I have the complete car gutted right now and the thought of going back together with the almost 40 year old wiring harness is keeping me up at night .

I know a few guys on here have used Ron Francis in the past so I'm looking to get an opinion on if they would go that route again?

My main concern is the connectors for small things like blower motor switch, door plungers for dome lights, reverse lights, duraspark, coil, etc. Does the kit provide the wiring and you have to source the connectors? I know ignition, wipers, multi function connecters are provided. I think I read that you have to source turn and brake light sockets which isn't a big deal.

My car is about as basic as it gets without being a track car. All I want is heat, radio, and my interior lights.

Interested as well

My 79 PC has an older version of the Ron Francis WireWorks kit installed in it. My plan at this point in time is to install his 24/7 kit into my 82 GT unless I win the lottery or my new business takes off and affording this kit is more of an option https://infinitybox.com/restoration-and-performance/ this is the most new car OEM wiring type system that I am aware of at this time. The kit is awesome, but at a minimum of $1500 for my needs its a bit expensive to say the least.

I am not a fan of Painless wiring, I generally find their kits to be anything BUT Painless. Others opinions may vary, but I personally don't like them. Virtually any wiring kit that you might install in our Four Eyes is going to be somewhat generic and require some additional work and parts most likely from your original wiring. The Ron Francis kit is very good, but will not include your light sockets for the tail lights, side markers, and turn signals. New headlight (sealed beam) type will be included. The pigtails for the instrument cluster if using the OEM unit are not included. None of the pigtails on the HVAC controller will be included, same for your PW, PL, etc. The kit does include a new headlight switch that will fit the Fox dash, includes all the steering column pigtails as long as you order the correct ones on the order form. Depending on your ignition setup under the hood, they do offer many options for the OEM Duraspark and TFI, as well as alternator pigtails and your basic sensors such as coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. Otherwise many if not most of your engine harness will need to be reused or new one fabricated. Again all of this depends on how stock or custom your ride is. Many of the needed pigtails for even the stock items are available from Ron Francis, LMR, Ford Motorcraft, and others.

If rewiring a bone stock car, IMHO the generic kits such as Ron Francis, Painless, etc are not your best option. If your ride is non stock/custom such as all of my Foxes, then they are a great option to replace old brittle OEM harnesses, run wiring out of sight, and just generally have a simpler, easier setup. Good Luck and hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    My 79 PC has an older version of the Ron Francis WireWorks kit installed in it. My plan at this point in time is to install his 24/7 kit into my 82 GT unless I win the lottery or my new business takes off and affording this kit is more of an option https://infinitybox.com/restoration-and-performance/ this is the most new car OEM wiring type system that I am aware of at this time. The kit is awesome, but at a minimum of $1500 for my needs its a bit expensive to say the least.

I am not a fan of Painless wiring, I generally find their kits to be anything BUT Painless. Others opinions may vary, but I personally don't like them. Virtually any wiring kit that you might install in our Four Eyes is going to be somewhat generic and require some additional work and parts most likely from your original wiring. The Ron Francis kit is very good, but will not include your light sockets for the tail lights, side markers, and turn signals. New headlight (sealed beam) type will be included. The pigtails for the instrument cluster if using the OEM unit are not included. None of the pigtails on the HVAC controller will be included, same for your PW, PL, etc. The kit does include a new headlight switch that will fit the Fox dash, includes all the steering column pigtails as long as you order the correct ones on the order form. Depending on your ignition setup under the hood, they do offer many options for the OEM Duraspark and TFI, as well as alternator pigtails and your basic sensors such as coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. Otherwise many if not most of your engine harness will need to be reused or new one fabricated. Again all of this depends on how stock or custom your ride is. Many of the needed pigtails for even the stock items are available from Ron Francis, LMR, Ford Motorcraft, and others.

If rewiring a bone stock car, IMHO the generic kits such as Ron Francis, Painless, etc are not your best option. If your ride is non stock/custom such as all of my Foxes, then they are a great option to replace old brittle OEM harnesses, run wiring out of sight, and just generally have a simpler, easier setup. Good Luck and hope that helps.
    Thank you sir, that was the info I was looking for. My car is bare bones. Carbed, duraspark, heat only, and lights. I've considered the Dakota Digital dash, but that's not a cheap setup. I do like the thought of doing away with the stock cluster though.

Quote Originally Posted by WRusco View Post
    That's almost 2X the price of a Ron Francis kit. It might have a few more pigtails installed compared to the RF kit, but otherwise is very similar. For all the benefits of the RF kit, I would save the cash and buy the RF kit. Besides the 87-93 cars do have several difference compared to the 4 Eyes that may require you to make several changes to the LMR kit.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Thank you sir, that was the info I was looking for. My car is bare bones. Carbed, duraspark, heat only, and lights. I've considered the Dakota Digital dash, but that's not a cheap setup. I do like the thought of doing away with the stock cluster though.
    Glad to help. Their Bare Bonez kit may work for you too. I have never used it personally, but others have on Rat rod, etc. I have installed at least a dozen of their kits over the years. I haven't installed their 24/7 kit, but that is my next choice. I like the detachable fuse panel that can be pulled out @ 18" for easier access. I am getting too old contort myself to get to the OEM fuse panel after removing the trim panel. So I really like that feature.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That's almost 2X the price of a Ron Francis kit. It might have a few more pigtails installed compared to the RF kit, but otherwise is very similar. For all the benefits of the RF kit, I would save the cash and buy the RF kit. Besides the 87-93 cars do have several difference compared to the 4 Eyes that may require you to make several changes to the LMR kit.

Glad to help. Their Bare Bonez kit may work for you too. I have never used it personally, but others have on Rat rod, etc. I have installed at least a dozen of their kits over the years. I haven't installed their 24/7 kit, but that is my next choice. I like the detachable fuse panel that can be pulled out @ 18" for easier access. I am getting too old contort myself to get to the OEM fuse panel after removing the trim panel. So I really like that feature.
    Where did you end up mounting the fuse panel? I still haven't decided where that's going to go yet?

The kit in my PC is one of the older fuse panels. I think its 15 or more years old at this point and I installed it in 2007/08. Its the larger fuse panel so there weren't a lot of options and I didn't completely strip the car for the install. I ended up installing it on the passenger side kick panel. I had to cut the plastic kick panel for clearance and at the time made a faux leather cover attached to the kick panel to hide it. When I redo the PC, I will fiberglass a new kick panel with a bulge to keep the panel hidden. It is very convenient in that location, but not my first choice.

The 24/7 panel I plan on using in my 82 GT will be installed in approximately the stock location. I will haven to modify the fuse panel opening for it to fit, but it should sit in that area and with the detachable option, I can reach under the dash/trim panel and pull it down for any service. The new panels and Bare Bonz kits are much smaller than my original RF kit, so that will help tremendously. I believe they give all the panel dimensions on the website so you can mock up a test panel for fitment. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I placed an order for the Ron Francis Express kit. It should be here in a few days. I'll update this thread when I get around to installing it.

I placed an order for the Ron Francis Express kit. It should be here in a few days. I'll update this thread when I get around to installing it.
    Did you receive it yet?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    Did you receive it yet?
    I have. It's still in the box though. Life and honey doo's are keeping it sidelined at the moment.

I have. It's still in the box though. Life and honey doo's are keeping it sidelined at the moment.
    I know how that goes all too well!
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Im glad this post came up. I have a very low mile 83 that the race car guys chopped up the wining harness so I've been looking for a good option. The only part that has been hacked is in the engine bay. The rest of the car's harness is pristine. I would like to only replace the engine bay harness if anyone has one for sale.
    1980 Capri RS
    1986 Mustang GT
    1991 Mustang GT

I too am interested in how the Ron Francis kit goes in. It bought their under hood kit for my SVO and have been thinking about just replacing every other wire in the car while it is living on jack stands.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

I haven't forgotten about this thread. Now I've got a little time, but no desire to freeze my butt off. Plus I'm still waiting for some wiring and cable crimpers to make the job go a little smoother.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I took advantage of the sale that Ron Francis is having and ordered the car harness as well. Hopefully it will be easier to install then what my pre-conceived notions are. I ordered kit # XP-792.

I will not spam your thread but will post the install in the SVO section once I am ready to put it in the car.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184