Close

Thread: Saleens

Default Saleens

I saw someone post a pic of his car, a 1987 Saleen T-top. The car had all the GT bodywork, bumpers, side spats and grill, but had a Saleen rear wing. I thought all Saleens were built off the LX platform? He said it was authentic. It looks like a GT with a Saleen wing and windshield sticker.

A few were built on the GT.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I am not a Saleen expert so I may be wrong, but I didn't think Saleen built any of the cars without the signature aero package? The GT model for the 85/86 was a relatively easy fit for the added aero package. The 87-93 GT would be much more involved since that would require swapping both front and rear bumper covers to make it work. Hopefully one of the Saleen experts will chime in and verify if the 87-93 GT's were actually used by Saleen, keeping the OEM aero package on it. I have never seen or heard about one, but anything is possible. My guess would be someone slapped a Saleen wing on a 87 GT as well as the windshield banner. If the GT has the Saleen interior trim and badging it might be an interesting vehicle. Otherwise I would guess not a true Saleen. The 87 GT with T-tops is somewhat rare, so that is cool. More information is needed and would be appreciated.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Saleen 87-0282 is a legitimate 1987 GT (VIN ending HF146976). The owner brought it in to Galpin Ford to have the Anaheim Saleen factory convert it. On the Saleen build sheet it states that the front air dam, side skirts, and rear valance were N/A. At least two prior owners have received a letter of authenticity from Saleen.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-22-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

These are Saleen Sports. There were around 50 built. A Saleen buddy of mine has one and also a supercharged Sport Clone.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Hmm Interesting. I have never seen one or even heard of them. Not sure why you would go that route and not have the signature Saleen body kit, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

There’s a couple GT models built over the years. The only ‘serialized’ one is the 87 called out above. There was a run of white ‘California GTs’ built in 89. I’ve personally seen 3, all we’re the same white/grey interior, sunroof, with 4 lug White ARE mesh wheels and racecraft springs.

There was also a GT Sport, also unserialized.

It’s possible some of the 85-86 cars were originally built on GT chassis, but the 4 eyed cars were mostly the same body-wise compared to 87 and later models.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Yes, there were a few Four Eyed GTs also. These are the ones I know of:

84-0051

85-0019
    85-0035
    85-0070
    85-0073

86-0001
    86-0038
    86-0040
    86-0049
    86-0083
    86-0090
    86-0140
    86-0159
    86-0163
    86-0176
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-22-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Hmm Interesting. I have never seen one or even heard of them. Not sure why you would go that route and not have the signature Saleen body kit, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    I think they were just a cheaper version, with not all the bells and whistles of the full Saleen package.

There is an 86 that lives here in town has a similar story as 87-0282. Original owner requested that it was not serialized. It left Saleen with no bumper number or ashtray plaque. It has all the other correct Saleen parts for 86 installed. Its not a clone and its not for sale, unfortunately.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179