Close

Default New old project, 79 turbo RS

Years ago I owned this car, and did a lot of work to it. Mainly a 5 lug conversion, and wheels. Lots of cleaning and maintenance fixing all kinds of little things that had gone bad over the years.
    Life got in the way, as it usually does and this car sat. And sat, and sat. The fuel pump went bad... again. Battery went dead... again. A wheel decided to blow out the entire stem, and a tire went flat with no way to air it up. The final straw was when a tree branch fell in an ice storm and cracked the windshield. I had enough. I'm sure a lot of you know the feeling when you are just absolutely frustrated with something.
    After a few very strong beers, and In a pathetic show of emotions I traded the turbo RS and my turbo coupe for a 85 GT.
    It didnt take long to realize I had made a mistake. I missed the Capri. The new owner had some big plans with a twin turbo 351W.
    Only that never happened either. I'm actually glad it didnt.
    Earlier this year after even more beer I made a deal and the Capri was slated to come back to me.
    Then well, everybody knows what happened next. The whole world went **** up.
    It took from February until now to actually take delivery of the Capri. But, its here signed sealed and delivered once again.
    Delivered Friday 9-18-20. Started up and moved under its own power yesterday 9-19-20.

New plans on this one. I'm leaving the draw through turbo setup on it. It's complete. It runs. Its cool. There is always going to be a faster car than you out there. If I can get this one stable and repainted with a few upgrades then I will be happy.

In the deal I got a built 8.8 rearend with new gears, axles, and a locker. Drilled slotted rotors, and pads. I'm putting that in next week, along with the T5 I bought a decade ago.

It looks a little worse for the wear, but it actually runs better!!

Default delivered

Name:  Home again 9-18-20 d copy.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  386.7 KB

Being delivered

Default Running

Name:  Running 9-19-20 0.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  244.7 KB

Notice my right foot is not on the gas!!

Very cool car! Looks like you're in NC? What part? I was there last week...Wilmington area.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Very cool project and glad you got it back!

I know the 79 Capri wasn't available with a rear spoiler, but I always thought the 3 piece should have been installed from day one. Personally never liked the Aero GT spoiler on the Foxes. The 93 Cobra rear wing looks good on 85/86 GT's, but I prefer the 3 piece on the Capris. Sorry! Unsolicited opinion. Your RS and your choice. I do like the black with the I assume Chamois (Carmel) interior. Sweet Combo! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Wraith. I agree totally on the rear spoiler. It was on there when I got it. And I cant stand it! I have a 3 piece, and its going on when I do the body work! Ditto for the rear louvers. Gone. It has rear wiper option and to me thats cooler than louvers.
    And yes. Chamois interior.

Broncojunkie, Thanks. I'm just out of Greensboro. Wilmington is one of my favorite areas, I go down as much as I can! If you see a black magic capri, black RS, or red bubble back there it might just be me!!

Oh and I forgot the other part.. While dropping off the RS the guy asks me if I want to buy another Capri! A 86. I'm sure you all know my answer....
    Its getting delivered next month haha! Just a roller, but nice body. So much for downsizing!

Quote Originally Posted by Capri-Magic View Post
    Thanks Wraith. I agree totally on the rear spoiler. It was on there when I got it. And I cant stand it! I have a 3 piece, and its going on when I do the body work! Ditto for the rear louvers. Gone. It has rear wiper option and to me thats cooler than louvers.
    And yes. Chamois interior.

Broncojunkie, Thanks. I'm just out of Greensboro. Wilmington is one of my favorite areas, I go down as much as I can! If you see a black magic capri, black RS, or red bubble back there it might just be me!!

Oh and I forgot the other part.. While dropping off the RS the guy asks me if I want to buy another Capri! A 86. I'm sure you all know my answer....
    Its getting delivered next month haha! Just a roller, but nice body. So much for downsizing!
    That's awesome. I assumed the previous owner probably put it on the Capri, but after I typed it I thought that was kind of a d#$% comment to make.

I would really like to have the time to get back to Texas and wrap up my 82 RS rebuild, but not sure if that is going to happen this year or not. Oh well, I do have the 84 RS here I could play with too. . . . FOCUS TREY FOCUS!!! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I love it and I love the story as well. I couldn't help but modify that but who cares what I think? I wouldn't put a V8 in it, I just mean I would have to modify the turbo setup and turn up the heat. Those Lima 2.3 motors are pretty dang tough. Good Luck with the project.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Very cool project and glad you got it back!

I know the 79 Capri wasn't available with a rear spoiler, but I always thought the 3 piece should have been installed from day one.!
    You just taught me that. I assumed all hatch cars could get the 3 piece spoiler.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

New windshield is in.. trim repainted. Cowl glued back together sanded and repainted. Hope it holds.. if not I'll have to dig up a 79 COWL SOMEWHERE. For now though it looks a lot better. First bath since its mine again.

Name:  3 Trim and wipers on 9-20 0c.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  241.3 KB

Nice!

Can't wait to see more....

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

As it turns out the 8.8 rear end I got was bad. I was just prepping it for paint, when I pulled the cover to find chewed up spider gears, and fluid that smelled horrible. So I phone up my dude. He has another one and says its mine, no problem. It took 2 months to get the time and help to go pickup the replacement. But its here today, finally. First off I pull the cover to see if its ok. The tag says 327. Works for me. Inside I find a locker and 410 gears. Not my preferred ratio, I would rather have something that still can do highway. But it beats the 279 thats in there now. Thats the second 410 rear I've had. If anybody is wondering where all the 410's are.. they're over here! I break it down mostly and wire wheel the housing. Put some rust converter on it and wait for that to dry. Then semi gloss protective black. The forecast here is rain tomorrow, so its under cover for now. I'm still off for 4 days so maybe just maybe I can get it swapped.

Let's see..
    4.10 w/5 speed
    4cyl T-5 od is about .80
    4.10 x .80= 3.28 Decent hiway ratio. Engine should get 20 mpg keeping speed 60-70. Great for hilly roads or long inclines.
    The engine runs fine driven like a V8 at 1200-1800 rpm, but runs better 2k+ all the time.
    Roads are pretty flat here.
    Later 2.3 cars, SVO, and Ranger went from 345 to 3.73. 4.10 not that far off. Was option in Ranger 2.3.
    Drove many miles with my stock 79 2.3T's 3.45 and no od 4 speed. Of course back in the 80's speed limit was 55.
    Now, the current T-5 od gives another 10 mph at same rpm. Freeway at 62-70 works, 2400-2800.
    Would rather be at 3000 under or at 70 mph limit rather than about 75. Rarely drive that fast anymore. Engine likes it.
    A 345 x .80 (5th) is about 273 a bit tall until 70 or 3000. Meaning would like to be closer to the power band at 65 say 2800 not 2500 or so.
    Car should move out pretty good with those 410 trac-loc gears and quicker shifting habit. Especially peppy when cruising.
    Good time to do a close visual inspection of the control arm bushing rubber, especially the ps lower arm front bushing for wear, cracks.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-12-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks for the info gr79. I've been going over numbers and gear ratios for a while trying to figure out what I want. The T5 I have has a .86 5th gear.

The big news is that... its in! It was a fight to get that sucker back in. It fought me and a buddy tooth and nail. I got my Eibach springs in also that have been sitting around way too long. I still have a list of things to do a mile long. But its one big step.

I did take it up the road for a victory lap, and wow what a difference. Its really a little too low for my liking but its got some serious take off now. I'll save my final decision for when the T5 is actually in the car but I'm sure a gear change will be in order. I'm not taking that thing out again. So I will change the gears myself. I watched the videos.. its getting done.

Next big item on the list is a set of tires and then the transmission swap.. which should be way easier than the rear. I'll keep updating as it goes.

Required pics.
    Name:  7 reary 4.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  328.8 KB
    Name:  7 springs.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  245.9 KB