Close

Default New Motor For My 83 v8, 4spd; Question

I have a 1983 GLX, 5.0l HO with a 4 speed. The motor needs work and I may choose to replace it with a BluePrint brand 235hp, 317 ft-lbs Torq long block.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...3ctc/make/ford
    Is this too much motor for the factory 4 speed and rear end? Neither one currently has issues. I'll use it as a driver / curser. No racing. This kind of HP didn't come along until 85 and the 4 speed was gone by then.
    Thanks in advance for the input.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

Driven gently it will work for potentially a long time. The 83 GT with the SROD 4 speed was rated 175 HP. The blue print one is stronger but not massively.
    I wouldn't put wide/sticky tires on it of course.
    My original 4spd was around 225k when I started my build and it still ran and drove just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Also take into account the change in advertised ratings from gross to net hp.The Blueprint 235 hp rating is gross with engine measured without hp eating accessories like the alternator etc. Take 20–25% off that number to approximate a burdened street motor and your at 175 -185 hp net which is comparable to the factory rating. I was fine with a 370 gross hp motor in my 82 capri / 4 speed combo but street drove and never drag raced it.

Also I suggest you first call BluePrints order line directly to see what the availability is really like. Two weeks ago I found there 302 Roller cam based Motors ...both 3O6 and 347s ...had about a 3 mth wait time due to lack of cores caused by Covid 19 complications.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Drivunn, richpet,
    Thanks, very helpful. A t5 upgrade would be nice but Id like to wait awhile for the sake of money.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

Default New Motor For My 83 v8, 4spd; Question

Buying a long block like that is a lot of money if you don’t have anything left for a trans/rear upgrade. You’ll be tempted to upgrade to headers and dual exhaust, if you haven’t already. More $$$. Are you sure your long block has big problems? Assuming your existing long block has major issues, think about just getting an Explorer engine from a junkyard for a few hundred dollars. Sell the “GT40” intake for $100, or whatever they’re going for. Install your stock carb and intake, replace your distributor gear to match the Explorer roller cam. Keep on cruising with $$$$ in the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I don't know for sure the issue (noises) with the motor. i am having it looked at tomorrow.
    Regardless, I am planning on headers and duel exhaust.
    Is an explorer engine swap that easy? Intake, distributor gear?
    Great advise thanks.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

FEP Member

You'll need an electric fuel pump wired through an inertia switch or oil pressure switch for safety in case of misadventure. Or change out the front of the engine to get a place to mount your mechanical fuel pump, and put an eccentric on the camshaft. If you do that, you might as well put in a better cam while it's apart. Then you'll need better valve springs. And then, since you have all that apart..........