Close

Default LMR Windshield Washer Tank and Pump

I ordered the windshield washer reservoir and pump kit from LMR. Just put it in, filled it halfway with water, and the pump worked for like 5 seconds and died. While operating the washer switch, I have both power and ground at the connector, so nothing wrong on the car side.
    I noticed that the pump is not a Motorcraft pump.
    So I noticed that the pics on the LMR site show a pump with a black plastic impeller included with the reservoir kit. My pump also has a black plastic impeller.
    But if you order just the pump itself, the pump has a white plastic impeller, which is what the Motorcraft pump has.
    Neither description says whether they use a real Motorcraft pump or not.

Just wanted to post this as a heads up to others. It looks like I might have been better off getting these 2 items separately instead of going with the kit. Would have been about the same money either way.
    New Motorcraft pumps on eBay are like $100 shipped, I found on one rock auto for $64 with the white impeller.
    New pump (only) from LMR shows white impeller but is only $26. I feel like rock auto does pretty good on prices, not sure how LMR can sell Motorcraft pumps for half of what rock auto charges.
    So something is weird there imho, not accusing anyone of anything, just stating facts.

Let me say, that I have ordered a ton of stuff from LMR this year, and this is the first problem I have had with them so far. I am not bashing LMR at all. Just posting to maybe save others some hassle.
    I’ll contact them about it, and I’m sure they will make it right.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Pump that comes with kit

Name:  1984-1985-mustang-windshield-w_29639266.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  10.5 KB
    pump by itself

Name:  lrs-17664a_5480.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  18.2 KB

my pump

Name:  Mcd2aL.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  46.0 KB

Motorcraft pump

Name:  09099D72-6281-4E5C-BDDE-4B8CBDF56FC3.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  35.4 KB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Power Member

Looks like the same pump Ford used since 1969. Motorcraft stopped making a lot of stuff for the 80s cars. Somet8nes they will have a new part number that no one knows about. I saw this with the starter solenoid sw-3
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

True, Ford part #s can be frustrating.
    Again I’m not sure what the deal is, the whole thing is just odd.
    The wipers are working flawlessly, and both the wipers and washer pump run off the same circuit breaker.
    Test light lights up with washer pump switch engaged.
    I suspect that sometimes parts are just faulty. No part has a 100% success rate. There’s gotta be a bad one every once in a while.
    I’ll just take the good with the bad. It’s really not a huge deal. Gotta keep moving forward.

I've had trash in the washer reservoir clog the impeller blade on that style pump.
    *shouldn't* happen with a new reservoir, but it might be worth pulling the pump out and testing it in free air.

I've had better luck with the later style pumps that have a molded impeller; they're also much cheaper, and the Mustang style mount in the inner fender so there's more room under the hood.

I don't have any style currently mounted in my Z7, but I'm planning on using the washer reservoir and coolant reservoir (and pretty much all the other underhood and wiring stuff) from the '99 Mustang just to get it on the road, and have as much as possible out of the way for when I put in a more entertaining engine and transmission.

Well I received my motorcraft pump today, has a white impeller.

Name:  EChDRr.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  75.2 KB

This pumps works great no problems.