Close

Default 1985 Mustang Gt EFI AOD

I am in the process of restoring my 1985 mustang GT EFI AOD and require the engine Decal That's located on the engine. The only ones that are listed are for Carb/manual ? or 1984. which is EFI AOD. So if anyone could advise where I could obtain one for The 1985 model?
    Last edited by xanadu23; 09-17-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Dilligently search the nimbers in post #25.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Identification

Red78' and FoxChassis have portal aceses to the Calibration tag details. Cross chech posts on 6-25 of this year. LMR might sell them.

Another link is related to earlier Foxes. Im on touch screen cell phone away from my desk top, so I can't screen dump all the links, but Red78' and Fox Chassis weighed in on Darrans Blue Bomber resto and it explains things even better.

See:-
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...38#post1926638

Thank you for that it expands on what I have already been able to find, That the tag would be in the YK340AA/BB/AB numbers.
    I will post some pictures of the undercarriage as I was lucky that being a California car it cleaned up as new and so far all the paint markings are still able to be seen right down to the spring tags etc.

You will find two, maybee three decals.

blainer's 1983 had two rocker cover decals

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...er-s-Barn-Find

and an oil pan decal

FEP Power Member

It’s been a while since I looked into it. I believe there are about 4 different calibration codes for the 85 efi. 2 for CA. Basically, ho or not ho.. it’s all in the Ford parts book.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    It’s been a while since I looked into it. I believe there are about 4 different calibration codes for the 85 efi. 2 for CA. Basically, ho or not ho.. it’s all in the Ford parts book.
    post #25 @ http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Identification

The M codes were either Carbed T5, or Central Fuel Injection with AOD, trans code defined

induction system,
    ignition system
    exhaust catalyst arrangement
    and camshaft type.

5.0L/AOD 5K340AA (DSO missing from build sheet -- unknown emissions)
    5.0L/AOD FK340BB
    5.0L/AOD FK340CB
    5.0L/AOD FK340CB (SSP)
    5.0L/AOD FK348BB
    5.0L/AOD YK340AA (CA emissions)
    5.0L/AOD YK340BB (CA emissions)

Any same year engine can be placed in an Auto AOD CA, but it had a dedicated intake, TFi ignition, one less catalyst without the flapper valve for preheat, and flat tappet Hydraulic cam with special cam gear. The CA emission package is probably more a priority change for the Thermactor, and possibly the exhaust headers and converts and non convertibles had differences in header type. the rocker covers may have been downgraded to pressed steel black painted items on CA engines. Ford being Ford, its hard to say.

The later 85 CFi 's have a different ECM EEICIV batch code, with different control to the earlier 84-1/2 CFi's. The 02 sensor earth is in the ECM.

So the O2 sensor earth changed too, with a change to a single tank fuel pump. Early ones had a two stage twin pump with one pump external. Yes folks, Ford changed everything, without notice...often.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...I-Valve-Covers
    Black rocker covers, see JA Cookes 85 CFi engine below.The mid-'85 CFI cars used fuel system components brought forward from the '86 model year. Not just the wet gear for the EFI, but rocker covers were being experimented with.

....the last CFi's were running the begining of the Port EFi crank case ventilation system. The old Y pipe was gone on the CFi engines, so it was easier for another set of cheeper rocker covers to be phased in. The computer was using most of the sequential wiring for the O2 sensor, and the CFi was getting more removed from the 4V 5.0. Not even the LSC matched the CFi's new found GRUNT. 180 HP of Pirate color rocker Ford, yarrrrrr.....!!!!!

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ... '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed...
    '71 Datsun 510 ... And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The 4-into-1 vs 4-into-3-into-1 shorty header differences were about clearance to the convertible engine
    mounts. The convertible engine mounts are larger than the ones used in coupes and hatchbacks.

A few years back I did a mockup of both styles that shows the differences. The mockup was done using
    the original block and heads from my '85 Vert, and new factory-issue convertible-specific engine mounts.

The 4-3-1 headers are original to my '85 Vert. The 4-into-1 headers are the original ones from my '85
    hatch.

First, the 4-into-1, passenger side:

Next, the same mockup using the 4-into-3-into-1 design:

Likewise, the driver-side 4-into-1:

And finally, the driver-side 4-into-3-into-1:

Default decal information

That information narrows it down further, my mustang is 5/1985 GT HO build single fuel pump will have to check out the wiring to the ecm and the other items mentioned. it's been a great help. I have had the car since 2002 so every thing is in boxes and tagged plastic containers.

Thanks for that`
    Last edited by xanadu23; 09-24-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong date