Close

Default Phone Mount Ideas

Hello! I was looking for a clean and tidy way to mount a phone in my 1983 GLX Convertible. The vents are too loose to mount a phone there. Do you guys have any ideas? I was thinking of using a rear view mirror mount like in the attached picture.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  29.9 KB

That looks like it would block my vision too much.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I use a hard rubber wedge to keep my vent from moving with iphone mounted.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    That looks like it would block my vision too much.
    +1
    that would be unbelievably distracting to me while driving imho but everyone is different.
    I’m a diehard, I just use my phone for music and toss it on the pass seat. MA is a hands free state anyways
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

They also make an aluminum shaft that mounts to the seat rail. use one in the truck for my Ham radio head. works pretty good..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

You could modify take a cup holder of the 1980's that mounts on the door side window...I found mine online but the local truck stops also carry them...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    You could modify take a cup holder of the 1980's that mounts on the door side window...I found mine online but the local truck stops also carry them...
    That looks like a Modelo in there.....
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That is cool! I would use that.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

More weight on the mirror could break it off the windshield button.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I like that !!!
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

I throw mine under the e-brake handle.
    The last thing I want or need to do when driving my GT is worry about a phone.
    Nothing is really that important to me to have to see my phone while driving.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I throw mine under the e-brake handle.
    The last thing I want or need to do when driving my GT is worry about a phone.
    Nothing is really that important to me to have to see my phone while driving.
    I tend to agree but even though i'm old and not supposed to be tech savy, I use my phone for a remote display of my radar detector. This will also give me a gps map including weather map and speeds.
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Fantastic cup holder @gt4494, I have a similar one in my canoe!

I ended up using a Car.Caw Magnetic mount like the one pictured below. I mounted it next to my temperatureName:  Capture.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  37.3 KB control on the dash.
    Last edited by BigDB67; 11-03-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a picture!

I have tried many phone mounts over the years. Maybe three years ago I tried the “Magic Mount” bu Scosche. You can fond these at Walmart, Best Buy and other places.

There is a small flat plate that sticks to the back of the phone and then that magnetically attaches to the mount.

They have various mount suction cup that sticks to windshields, cigarette lighter mount, dash, cupholder, etc.

I have had great luck with them. In my foxbodies and 99 Expedition I use the suction cup window mount. These are quality and don’t fall off the window. In my 2002 Sport Trac I use the cigarette lighter mount as in that truck the cig lighter is higher so the phone bracket is right at the height I prefer.

For the plate mounted to the phone - Depending on the phone case I have been able to stick it right on the phone and the magnetic works thru the case. My current case is thicker so I have it stuck to the case itself. I’ve even used the magnet on iPad Minis and it holds to the mount fine - nice to get a bigger waze screen. The tape on the magnetic plate is a weak point and can come lose after a while but with super glue they stay on great. I have also removed the plates and moved to new phones using super glue without a problem.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by spt87a View Post
    I have tried many phone mounts over the years. Maybe three years ago I tried the “Magic Mount” bu Scosche. You can fond these at Walmart, Best Buy and other places.

There is a small flat plate that sticks to the back of the phone and then that magnetically attaches to the mount.

They have various mount suction cup that sticks to windshields, cigarette lighter mount, dash, cupholder, etc.

I have had great luck with them. In my foxbodies and 99 Expedition I use the suction cup window mount. These are quality and don’t fall off the window. In my 2002 Sport Trac I use the cigarette lighter mount as in that truck the cig lighter is higher so the phone bracket is right at the height I prefer.

For the plate mounted to the phone - Depending on the phone case I have been able to stick it right on the phone and the magnetic works thru the case. My current case is thicker so I have it stuck to the case itself. I’ve even used the magnet on iPad Minis and it holds to the mount fine - nice to get a bigger waze screen. The tape on the magnetic plate is a weak point and can come lose after a while but with super glue they stay on great. I have also removed the plates and moved to new phones using super glue without a problem.
    I use the suction cup mount daily and it works pretty well.

The plate on my case does interfere with wireless charging, so you have to make sure to position it accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 86lx View Post
    I use the suction cup mount daily and it works pretty well.

The plate on my case does interfere with wireless charging, so you have to make sure to position it accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True - the iPhone 11 I have now is my first with wireless charging. I have the plate mounted on the lower third of the phone which has worked out fine (otterbox case - the bottom of the plate is lined up with the top of the "otter" letters).

This might be weird but the old Tom Tom mounts were quite cool. Small, totally adjustable and not thick. I wish they would bring them out for a phone mount.

Kenny

Modify the gauge cluster bezel and mount a charge station where the a/c vent goes.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"