Close

Default T56 Wide or Close Ratio?

Thinking about going with a T56 Magnum over the TKO600 that I currently have, but I'm undecided on close or wide ratio.

Looking for those who run a t56 and what you prefer.

Car is street/strip, lightweight 83 Hatch, custom cam 302/11r 190 heads, carb, drag suspension, 4.56 gears.

Close ratio all the way. Engine stays in the power band longer through each gear change. It also depends on the rear gear ratio. You want to multiply the rear end ratio by low gear ratio. The ideal overall ratio should be 9.00 to 10.5. For instance, my 03 Cobra has a 2.66 low gear and a 3.55 rear gear multiplied by each other that equals to 9.44 overall. The boys at SVT knew what they were doing. Once I learned that formula over 55 years ago it's never failed me.
    Last edited by gt pony; 09-15-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Your rear gear ratio is way to steep. First gear would be useless. If you ran a 3.73 rear end ratio with a 2.66 close ratio low gear like the Cobra trans that would put you at 9.92 overall. You'll get more out of each gear.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    Your rear gear ratio is way to steep. First gear would be useless. If you ran a 3.73 rear end ratio with a 2.66 close ratio low gear like the Cobra trans that would put you at 9.92 overall. You'll get more out of each gear.
    I think the 2.66 first gear and 3.73 rear would be an absolute dog with a low torque n/a 302. This isn't a highway cruiser. It's a 1/8 mile drag setup that will get street driven. I'll probably just stick with the tko and get it shift improved or faceplated.