Close

Default Car turned over with new battery but now it won't turn off?

So electrical is not my area of any expertise. Just looking for ideas of where to start.

I have a new fuel pump to put in so I knew the car would not crank but I did get it to turn over. I was actually just going to turn it over a few seconds at a time the next few days before trying to actually start it hopefully this weekend. When I turned the key off the engine continued to run so I have to pull the negative battery cable to get it to turn off.

Now when you touch the neg cable to the batter you get LOTS of sparks so it is obviously shorted somewhere. Looking for suggestions of what to start replacing or where to look. I have checked for any chewed wires and cannot find any. The wiring at the starter solenoid looks like a jumbled mess but it was already that way. I would like to clean that up anyway and figure I could replace some parts there and run the wiring inside the fender to clean it up some.

I have also read it could be the actual ignition cylinder where the key goes and that is a pretty easy and cheap place to start.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions or directions to other post is greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics of my current restoration

Name:  IMG_20200909_192426_464.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  115.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200913_162237_390.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  20200913_160919.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  153.0 KB
    Name:  20200913_155524.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  121.1 KB
    FOLLOW MY RESTORATION ON INSTAGRAM @302_much

1986 Mustang GT Hatchback
    Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

Starter solenoid may be stuck. Can carefully tap it and try to unstick it. They can get stuck when the starter is drawing too much. Kinda means the starter is on its way out as well.

Happened to me before when I was 16. Scary.

Ignition switch is a known problematic failure item as well.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Power Member

Just pull the small wire off the starter solenoid. If it stops then its the ignition switch/wiring. If not, then the starter solenoid.

Inside the solenoid is 2 square headed bolts and a flat bar is the engaging relay. If you twist the solenoid bolts, the heads get misaligned and they will weld to the bar. More common on the non-Motorcraft parts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Just pull the small wire off the starter solenoid. If it stops then its the ignition switch/wiring. If not, then the starter solenoid.

Inside the solenoid is 2 square headed bolts and a flat bar is the engaging relay. If you twist the solenoid bolts, the heads get misaligned and they will weld to the bar. More common on the non-Motorcraft parts.
    Thanks, that is an easy part to replace and it is well over 15 years old for sure.

Tan interior, 151,000 miles, acquired in March 1988, cold air intake, Bondurant Racing H pipe with built in bullet mufflers where cats should be, MAC shorty headers, pro 5.0 shifter, slotted front rotors, cobra wheels, chrome strut tower, white face gauges and more to come. Complete restoration in progress started September 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Starter solenoid may be stuck. Can carefully tap it and try to unstick it. They can get stuck when the starter is drawing too much. Kinda means the starter is on its way out as well.

Happened to me before when I was 16. Scary.
    Thanks and I am sure more parts are ready to fail. Not sure the starter has ever been replaced either.

I will probably replace the ignition switch as well when I order parts.

UPDATE: ordered a new ignition switch and put it in this weekend. Car still will not start as fuel pump does not prime but it does not keep running when you turn the car off. Problem 1 solved. Now the fuel pump is next.

THANKS!

Got the ignition working and found out why the fuel pump quit working. Complete replacement of gas tank and all parts should be installed this weekend.

Name:  IMG_20201011_152335_247.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  426.9 KBName:  20201105_161032.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  91.6 KB

Wow that stuff is really corroded!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.