Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smog pump interchangeability for 86 GT

I'm trying find the part# for an 86GT smog pump and just curious what other models run the same air pump? Also, is there much difference in buying rebuilt vs new on these? (I know most of you can faintly remember those, if at all, but I live in lovely, Commie-fornia)

rockauto.com shows:

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): D8BZ9A486A, E0TZ9A486F, E1AZ9A486A, E1TZ9A486A, E1UZ9A486A, E1ZZ9A486H, E1ZZ9A486L, E2SZ9A486A, E2TZ9A486B, E3SZ9A486C, E3TZ9A486B, E3ZZ9A486E, E4AZ9A486A, E5AZ9A486A, E6VZ9A486A, E75Z9A486A, E7SZ9A486B, E8ZZ9A486B
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...smog+pump,4920

Good luck!

MIke

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    rockauto.com shows:

Good luck!

MIke
    Thanks, Mike I saw that exact one but I was hoping to find a new or even a rebuilt pump that doesn't require a core exchange and hopefully not so expensive. Ebay has rebuilt ones for as low as $65 shipped listed for 87 Bronco but I wasn't sure if it was interchangeable for my 86.

I went thru this last year with my car. I replaced the front bearing on my original pump but 5000 miles later the rear bearing went out and chewed up the case. I got a used pump and sure enough again the bearings went out shortly after. Then I tried to use some of my spare Pinto smog pumps to fix one of the Mustang ones. That did not work as there are slight differences that make it not work unless you do some machining. I found an NOS one on ebay, listed for an 85 tbird. E1AZ9A486A, all I had to do was swap the side hose connection from the straight to the 90 deg as well as use my original pulley. Paid $125 for it but it has been working quietly ever since. I did find the all the replacement bearings but since both by cases are a little chewed from when the bearings let go, I never did the bearings. I did not want to deal with it again. Plus I was not sure how to get to the inner small bearings out from the blades. That looked like a nightmare. Good luck to you.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I went thru this last year with my car. I replaced the front bearing on my original pump but 5000 miles later the rear bearing went out and chewed up the case. I got a used pump and sure enough again the bearings went out shortly after. Then I tried to use some of my spare Pinto smog pumps to fix one of the Mustang ones. That did not work as there are slight differences that make it not work unless you do some machining. I found an NOS one on ebay, listed for an 85 tbird. E1AZ9A486A, all I had to do was swap the side hose connection from the straight to the 90 deg as well as use my original pulley. Paid $125 for it but it has been working quietly ever since. I did find the all the replacement bearings but since both by cases are a little chewed from when the bearings let go, I never did the bearings. I did not want to deal with it again. Plus I was not sure how to get to the inner small bearings out from the blades. That looked like a nightmare. Good luck to you.
    That's just it, I don't want to have to swap any parts, just plug and play, but I'm curious what the actual part# is for my year model and if that same pump was used on other years and models of Ford cars/ trucks. I want a new pump but as cheap as possible. I don't want to deal with the hassle you did with buying refurbished parts. Ebay prices are all over the place and the sellers don't list the part# or show many angles in pics to see if it will fit.

FEP Power Member

Actually, if you click on the Cardone number At Rockauto, it will list the interchangeable models. Looks like most Fords and Mercurys 74-92.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Actually, if you click on the Cardone number At Rockauto, it will list the interchangeable models. Looks like most Fords and Mercurys 74-92.
    Ah, gotcha! Thanks for all the help, guys. Did I mention how California smog laws are a pain? I'm also doing my exhaust on an 82 GT that had the factory set up cut off for dumps. I have the FlowMaster American Thunder series in a box in my guest room with new hangers but I was trying to figure out what headers and mid-pipe options would be CA CARB legal. It looks like my only choice for mid-pipe is that high dollar MagnaFlow setup for $1700

https://lmr.com/item/MPE-337338/fox-...50-state-legal

I love how this setup is >49< state legal and literally half the price. lol

https://www.cjponyparts.com/magnaflo...xoCcWUQAvD_BwE

I'm still not sure what smog pump is my best deal so time to start digging I guess. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
    That's just it, I don't want to have to swap any parts, just plug and play, but I'm curious what the actual part# is for my year model and if that same pump was used on other years and models of Ford cars/ trucks. I want a new pump but as cheap as possible. I don't want to deal with the hassle you did with buying refurbished parts. Ebay prices are all over the place and the sellers don't list the part# or show many angles in pics to see if it will fit.
    The side hose connection was two 10mm bolts. Took less than a minute. Other than that it was plug and play. Be careful with v-belt pumps, they are a little different which is what I had issues with trying to swap parts from the Pinto one. I would just search for one of the p/n listed on rockauto and see if you can find an NOS one on Ebay. That is what I ended up doing.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Power Member

Technically neither of those would pass ca smog inspection. The cat needs to be in the original location. I’m sure there are some legal weld in replacements. If it were me, I would pick up a stock 86 set up for about $300 and see if they would not notice. Maybe some fast talking showing the Ford numbers on it might convince some but most would rather reject it.

Technically neither of those would pass ca smog inspection. The cat needs to be in the original location. I’m sure there are some legal weld in replacements. If it were me, I would pick up a stock 86 set up for about $300 and see if they would not notice. Maybe some fast talking showing the Ford numbers on it might convince some but most would rather reject it.

I didn't know that. I was under the assumption that if the pipes/ headers were CARB legal then you are good to go. Why are they listed as legal in CA?

FEP Power Member

They are listed as legal for the years list for the Application. First one is 87-93. The second one is 86-93. There is no mention of a 1982 application. I know, it’s stupid.

They are listed as legal for the years list for the Application. First one is 87-93. The second one is 86-93. There is no mention of a 1982 application. I know, it’s stupid.
    Thanks, Kevin! I'm not sure what's my best options for an exhaust set up on this 82 GT so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've tried doing research to see what is CA CARB legal for 82's other than the stock set up which is not dual. I was hoping to have the look of a dual setup and still be CA legal. How would that be possible if at all?

My Japanese spec import 1981 3.3 six had dual exhaust (non standard y piece to clear the rear brake line without touching it).

All carb, non Throttle Body injection 1978-1984 era Foxes 5.0, 1982 on 3.8 V6's and 4.2 V8's have a similar cat arrangement.

The 5.0 to 4.2 Fox downgrade was such a retrograde step, but there were 5.0 Foxes every year from 1978 to the last Fox 4 SN95 and its derivatives. It was only the short and medium wheelbase cars that had the 5.0 removed for almost two years. ...the 1982 on S-sheels (Tbrid, Cougar XR7, Continental VII, LSC) still had it, and it got this exhaust if it was carburettor...the 5.0 gt exhaust.

Here is the standard 85 3.8 exhaust and crossover, care of uncleterry from England. The old one, not New England. Plenty of those 3.8's around

The cats just have to be clear and present to pass.

I'd personally add two extra 1981 Panther cats.

The big stick HO 351 was a two year option. The Fox below runs only the left E1AE 5E212-CA and right E1AE 5E214-CA catalyst from, a full size Ford Panther (Crown Victoria/Merucry Marquis) with dual exhaust, ie an HO 1981 351 4-BBL engine with FMX or AOD.

E1=1981
    A= Full size Ford,
    E is Engine Engineering ( Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering )
    5E212-CA left catalyst
    5E214-CA right catalyst

Any catalyst will have the CARB EO number FIRST, but then the year, then the 5E212-CA or 5E214-CA.

I'd look for some used Panther frame Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis Police Interceptor or Ford GT 5.0 Mustang E6 cats, and do the same.

Ideally, the EO numbers and third and forth digits should be Mustang ZE

E6-ZE 5E212CA/ E6-ZE 5E214-CA with the same EO number would keep the exhaust nazis off your back, even with an early 81 4.2 engine...

See Car and Drivers October 1981 4.2 Windsor 190 HP Quad Exhast 4-bbl AOD Mercury Capri Exhaust

Plenty of space if you use the factory hangers for even a quad exhaust.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_02.jpg
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_04.jpg

Everything is date coded, but what always works is a latter cat system with more cats.

There is nothing generic with Fords exhaust system for Foxes.

Here is one; its patently wrong for V8 and V6 carb Mustangs. 06-26-2014, 01:18 AM#13 by tbirdman

And he made no mistakes

The primary light off cat and dual inlet under trans cat changed in 1984. Before 1980, it was just one cat behind the transmission. For 1980 4.2 carb cars, one primary light off cat was added, which continued with the return of the Carb 5.0.

CFi Foxes were single cat behind the trans. So yet again, Ford kinda makes it complicated.

See https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/ca...dStatus=ACTIVE

to this

note:

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    84 5.0 had the single muffler and exhaust all the way back to a twin-tip exhaust that exited on the driver's side, so it's a true single exhaust system. In 85, behind the main cat the exhaust split into two mufflers and single tips on each side of the car. So 85 had a semi-dual exhaust. You could go either way at this point. In the Parts-For Sale section there is a member selling the y-piece that can be used to split the single exhaust after the main cat into two pipes to go into two mufflers, 85-style (btw ... he mentions 84 in his ad, but I've never seen an 84 that used that piece). I think you could then buy the replacement dual-exhaust tail pipes that are sold for 85-93 cars ... lots of different brands for these available now. If you go this route, as discussed in this exhaust forum many times, you'd need to do something to relocate the rear rubber brake line hose to keep it from getting scorched by the later model passenger side tail pipe ... this is a real safety issue.

Or you could keep it 84-style, like I did, and try to find an original single/twin-tip exhaust (not easy to find, but they do show up occasionally) or get a reproduction one (not exact, but close) from Stinger Performance (scroll down to SVO Dual Angle Cut Exhaust Tip on that site or see pic below). Or just get some generic tip. It all depends upon how original you want to look and your budget. Good luck!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
    Thanks, Kevin! I'm not sure what's my best options for an exhaust set up on this 82 GT so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've tried doing research to see what is CA CARB legal for 82's other than the stock set up which is not dual. I was hoping to have the look of a dual setup and still be CA legal. How would that be possible if at all?
    You can do what you want after the cat. The 85 dual exhaust is dual mufflers and two tail pipes.. It’s 86-93 mufflers and tail pipe with a y pipe after the cat. The y pipe is very hard to find but could be made. I just replaced mine.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Everything is date coded, but what always works is a latter cat system with more cats.

There is nothing generic with Fords exhaust system for Foxes.

Here is one; its patently wrong for V8 and V6 carb Mustangs. 06-26-2014, 01:18 AM#13 by tbirdman

And he made no mistakes

The primary light off cat and dual inlet under trans cat changed in 1984. Before 1980, it was just one cat behind the transmission. For 1980 4.2 carb cars, one primary light off cat was added, which continued with the return of the Carb 5.0.

CFi Foxes were single cat behind the trans. So yet again, Ford kinda makes it complicated.

See https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/ca...dStatus=ACTIVE

to this

note:
    That may be the route I take and go with the 84style and look for tips, if not that then I'll just keep it completely stock until I can get out of this crazy state. I remember those twin tips from years ago. I'm not really looking for gains so much as I wanted the look and cheaply avoid CA emissions BS. Thanks for the excellent info xctasy!

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    rockauto.com shows:

Good luck!

MIke
    Dont waste money on Cardone rebuilds. They are pure junk and they are harder to find so the price for them keeps going up. You can find a NOS Motorcraft on ebay alot less money and probably a whole lot better than Cardone.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Dont waste money on Cardone rebuilds. They are pure junk and they are harder to find so the price for them keeps going up. You can find a NOS Motorcraft on ebay alot less money and probably a whole lot better than Cardone.
    Ebay listings are all over the place as far as what sellers list as fitment for each pump. Some list pump model #'s while other sellers list car model and years. I didn't find one listed for an 86 Mustang as far as NOS and it's hard to tell from the pics if it will truly fit. The pumps all looked different so I was trying to make sure before purchasing since many list "no returns/ refunds for misordering"

if you search through my old posts you will find the NOS motorcraft I found with the numbers on it. That is for an 84 but I am sure it is probably equivalent. I went through a crap cardone as well before I bought the NOS.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Sounds easier to move lol, good luck with the search.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

yes, dont ever use "rebuilt" crap, go to a junk yard and look for an original one or two.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I'm still dealing with this obsolete smog pump situation and had NO IDEA a new pump would be so hard to locate. I wanted a NOS OEM but I can't even find the aftermarket Cardone pump available anywhere except for an eBay listing with a remanufactured pump for $485! lol
    If anyone has a spare pump laying around they wanna sell hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    I'm still dealing with this obsolete smog pump situation and had NO IDEA a new pump would be so hard to locate. I wanted a NOS OEM but I can't even find the aftermarket Cardone pump available anywhere except for an eBay listing with a remanufactured pump for $485! lol
    If anyone has a spare pump laying around they wanna sell hit me up.
    What we have here is a 100% certainty that every aftermarket smog pump is non conforming with the CARB and FMV durability standards, and that's actually a class lawsuit issue.

see http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...urnt-out-again

Anything will work if its 31 lb/hr and has the right fittings.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-pump-question

Carby

EFI

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I have had luck finding NOS airpumps on ebay. Particularly when you look for all the versions that are compatible but have a different code. Search the posts. I got my most recent NOS motorcraft pump for something around 35 dollars if I remember correctly.
    Yep. The aftermarket quality is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    As above.

Port in Housing" Cardone 32-291 is the generic type of 1981 to 1987 pump E1TZ-9A486-B Ford Econoline E150 E250 E350 1975-1987, but also fits 5.0 Mustangs till 1992, so it is 31 lb/hr.

Remember, the 5.0 was effectively a truck, Mercury Lincoln home base, so most of its parts are EFi 5.0 from the bigger Lincolns, like the last of the LSC's.

"https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-32-291-Remanufactured-Smog-Pump/dp/B000C41KHG/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=LT D%20Crown%20Victoria%7C5852&Year=1990%7C1990&ie=UT F8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId= 1&vehicleType=automotive"

Do be careful though. Aftermarket parts break the agreed 50 000 mile EPA durability requirements, and keep your receipt. All emissions gear is life of the vehicle with maintenance intervention.

Smog equipment must be suitable for purpose, and is subject to correct break in, with the right belt tension.

see
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...urnt-out-again

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light=air+pump

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    So would this pump work for my 86GT?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/184539131334?...26brand%3DFord
    No, its not a 31 lb per hour pump. That's for a 2.0 or 2.3 liter Ranger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast