Close

Default 1985 SVO Headlights

I have a 1985 SVO production date of 12/84, Vin# 1FABP28T6FF146476, Paint Code: 4E that had been smashed in the front end and trying to verify which headlight style should be on my vehicle. When I found the vehicle it looked like a aftermarket/replacement header panel with flush mount headlights. From searching/reading I believe that the headlights thru 1/85 were the recessed sealed beam headlights & on 2/85 to the flush headlights(85.5/86 models) I'm going to restore the vehicle and I want to verify correct headlights for my vehicle if anyone has more knowledge/info. Thanks

It is VERY easy to know which it is by just the number that the CUN (last six of the VIN) begins with...

1FABP28T_FF1xxxxx = early 1985 SVO
    1FABP28T_FF2xxxxx = late 1985 SVO (aka 1985.5)

Your CUN starts with a 1 so it is an 'early' 1985 SVO. It originally had glass, sealed-beam headlamps. It did not have composite, flush-mount headlamp housings.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-08-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Good to know . That is what I thought on the headlights, when I got the vehicle it had the 85.5/86 headlights/damaged header panel when I got the vehicle. I do have the correct headlights/buckets/hardware on my used header panel that I found a couple years ago. I'm also lucky enough to have all the replacement park lamps inner/outer ones when I bought the header.

Foxchassis' way is the better option, but the other quick and easy way is the 3rd brake light in the rear spoiler. If you have an original 3rd brake light the SVO is either an 85.5 or 86 which both have the flush (aero) style headlights. Good Luck with your restoration.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL, aka "third brake light") didn't debut until the 1986 model year so (an original) 1985.5 would not have one
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

Another way is dual exhaust. 85.5 and 86 both had duals.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

85.5 had dual exhaust and flush headlights but no third brake light.