Close

FEP Super Member

Thumbs up Ragtop...... 1984 5.0 Lx Ragtop www.ragtop-racing.com

A little history....
    I have had this car since 1992 as a bone stock car with 129 000 Kms on the clock.....
    The car has evolved over the years, usually by necessity (AKA Breakage), it spent many years at the drag strip, and on the street as my summer daily....
    A couple of years ago I had some issues which we thought were related to stuck lifters, so we re placed the lifters and still had a ticking noise in one hole....
    Upon closer inspection of the rocker, it appeared as though one of the roller tips had a slight tight spot which we thought may be causing the noise.
    I purchased the only single 1.62 rocker I could find and installed it to see if that would fix the problem.....
    Installed the rocker, and took it for a test drive, sadly with disastrous results.... The polyloc pushed off the stud, shaving the threads on the way off... once the rocker was off, the lifter spit its guts out.... The push rod dropped below the guideplate now that there was extra real estate in the lifter, and took out the guide plate on its next trip around the world.....
    Name:  20170808_204540.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  147.1 KB
    I started collecting parts to upgrade from the previous combination with 11.0:1 Cr, AFR 185 Heads, XE 282 HR Cam, to a custom grind cam, springs, locks, retainers, 7/16 studs, rockers, Innovations west balancer, and 11.5:1 Cr with re ring and bearing refresh....
    Name:  20200815_164559.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  281.0 KB
    I got the motor back Friday a few weeks ago, and started putting it all back together....
    Name:  20200817_150143.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  384.8 KB
    Monday was its maiden voyage....Name:  20200817_143326.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  367.4 KB
    Believe it or not it runs.... Sadly it also leaks.... So its going to have to come back out to figure out why the rear main is leaking....
    Its funny that even though its a much bigger cam, its a much smoother idle then before...

Great looking car

Good luck fixing the leaks. Hopefully it doesn’t require pulling it back out again!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

FEP Supporter

Looking good! I have had issues with a leak also. Oil pan at back was fixed after pulling the engine. Now it's got a small leak at the front

It'll get pulled one day again...Hopefully yours goes smoothly.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looking good! I have had issues with a leak also. Oil pan at back was fixed after pulling the engine. Now it's got a small leak at the front

It'll get pulled one day again...Hopefully yours goes smoothly.
    This car has always been a nightmare for leaks, First it was the C-Clip Eliminators that I would have to reseal every time I drove it (Finally fixed it with 9 inch ends) Now this....