Close

Default Wiring to starter solenoid

This is kinda long-winded, so bear with me. Thanks in advance for any input.

On my 85 Capri RS, there is a white wire with pink dots that is connected to the ignition switch wiring harness. The insulation on this wire has melted along its full length. I've traced it through the wiring harness (dash is out) and it goes to a connector at the transmission tunnel. The wire on the other side of the white/pink wire changes to tan, and it goes to a connector on the transmission's backup light switch. The connector at this location includes a shorting wire, where it transitions the tan wire to red with a blue stripe. In this particular car, that harness/plug to the back up light switch is missing (I have a separate harness out of an 85 GT that I can use to compare).

I did not find an obvious short location for the white/pink wire, although other wires have damaged insulation at the ignition switch harness. The tan wire at the trans tunnel connector is fine.

BUT - the previous owner spliced a separate red wire to the white/pink wire at the ignition switch harness and ran it to the starter solenoid. This particular solenoid has two wire terminals (as opposed to the one terminal on the OEM style solenoid). See photo. What does separate wire achieve? I can't figure it out in my head.

Name:  DSC_0306.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  183.1 KB
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

It sounds like the wire he ran to the solenoid is triggering it to close with the ignition switch. The other is likely the original trigger wire that’s no longer in play. Those older solenoids with the double-terminals might not be polarity-sensitive.

I’d follow your original wire from the solenoid back to where it’s cut/broken and fix it correctly. Then you can chuck that extra wire and use the stock-style solenoid. Following the non-stock wire to see where he tied into the system might give some clues to what’s going on there.

Hopefully that helps.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Thanks! This is the direction I'm going. Have new wire to replace the damaged wire, and will reconnect new harness at backup light switch. Already have stock style solenoid. Have a wiring repair kit for damaged wire at ignition switch coming (and new switch, too). So we'll see what happens when its all hooked up.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch

I believe the backup light harness is somehow tied into the starting circuit. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

My 84 GT wouldn’t start with the key due to the backup harness not installed. There’s a looped wire in the harness that has to be there to send the signal to the solenoid.

Also be sure your clutch pedal solenoid is plugged in and functioning.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    I believe the backup light harness is somehow tied into the starting circuit. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

My 84 GT wouldn’t start with the key due to the backup harness not installed. There’s a looped wire in the harness that has to be there to send the signal to the solenoid.

Also be sure your clutch pedal solenoid is plugged in and functioning.
    I agree - the backup harness is a critical piece, and it was missing on my car. I have rewired but am waiting for new ignition switch and wiring repair kit before I try again.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch

My trans harness has 2 circuits- that I checked with power probe.

1. goes to starter solenoid. When I applied 12v to this circuit, the solenoid pulled in.
    2. goes to reverse lights. When I applied 12v to This circuit, the reverse lights came on.

Hope this helps
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    My trans harness has 2 circuits- that I checked with power probe.

1. goes to starter solenoid. When I applied 12v to this circuit, the solenoid pulled in.
    2. goes to reverse lights. When I applied 12v to This circuit, the reverse lights came on.

Hope this helps
    This helps.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch