Close

Default 1984 GT with flat top pistons

Took off my heads, got some TFS as a upgrade, just wanted to do a minor upgrade. Then I discovered the XXX in the lifter valley, and the than I cleaned up the block and saw the casting E7TE. Well.... my minor upgrade just got bumped up. I will post some pics tomorrow. Anyone running some TFS 170s with 1.6 RR and an E cam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I also discovered I have flat top pistons. Previous owner bought this car from a mechanic, and didn’t provide any receipts to any work that was done. Also has a mild comp cam, flat tappet, which was the only paperwork he had.

The 84 had flat top pistons...they are cast slugs with 4 valve reliefs. In 1985 they were the same piston design except forged slugs. In 1986 they are true flat top slugs with no valve reliefs, and are forged too. Starting in 1987 there is a slight dish in the center part of the piston which is about 4cc, plus the 4 valve reliefs. I'm running an E cam in my 1985 engine with 1.6 rocker arms and like it with the Gt40p heads. Which TFS units do you have and what size are the combustion chambers on the TFS heads?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Im running a 92 block with factory 84 pistons flat top with 4 valve relieves. it is a roller cam block and I'm running .530 lift no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 84-tTop View Post
    And I also discovered I have flat top pistons. Previous owner bought this car from a mechanic, and didn’t provide any receipts to any work that was done. Also has a mild comp cam, flat tappet, which was the only paperwork he had.

Are the pistons flat top without valve reliefs?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

1986 have no valve reliefs

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    1986 have no valve reliefs
    Correct. I was just wondering if someone switched in a Tbird/cougar engine. Would have had no valve reliefs, unsure if they were E7 blocks though.

XXX = roller block or what?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Correct. I was just wondering if someone switched in a Tbird/cougar engine. Would have had no valve reliefs, unsure if they were E7 blocks though.

XXX = roller block or what?
    XXX is roller block
    E - 1980s vintage
    7- 1987
    T - Truck
    E - Engine group

They are flat top pistons with no relief. The PTV was 0.150 and they recommend at least 0.1, so I am good. Just need some 6.75 pushrods and the engine goes back in

Really really excited to have an E cam again. They sound soooo good with Flowmasters

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The 84 had flat top pistons...they are cast slugs with 4 valve reliefs. In 1985 they were the same piston design except forged slugs. In 1986 they are true flat top slugs with no valve reliefs, and are forged too. Starting in 1987 there is a slight dish in the center part of the piston which is about 4cc, plus the 4 valve reliefs. I'm running an E cam in my 1985 engine with 1.6 rocker arms and like it with the Gt40p heads. Which TFS units do you have and what size are the combustion chambers on the TFS heads?
    61cc, I went real mild with this. I can always upgrade later. But right now, I just want to stop losing to minivans at stop lights

Just bolted the heads on earlier and I thought I took a pic of the pistons, but no.

This is my first time using these comp cams 1.6 RR with the tension bolt inside the polylock. Has anyone used these? I was doing the zero lash plus half turn as per the directions and it seems really loose. That half turn was after tightening the polylock bolt down to where the pushrod would not spin.