Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is an interesting topic.I had no idea that these guns were so popular.

I work near Irving and frequently drive around the area after eating lunch. The house that Oswald stayed in is owned and maintained by the city.

I avoid the topic of discussion, but my wife's mother attends the annual events that discuss the assassination and conspiracies that surround it. She wrote this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mare_in_Dallas I have never discussed it nor do I want to. :-)

Double post
    Last edited by slow84lx; 09-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    This is an interesting topic.I had no idea that these guns were so popular.

I work near Irving and frequently drive around the area after eating lunch. The house that Oswald stayed in is owned and maintained by the city.

I avoid the topic of discussion, but my wife's mother attends the annual events that discuss the assassination and conspiracies that surround it. She wrote this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mare_in_Dallas I have never discussed it nor do I want to. :-)
    Thanks for sharing. Never heard of her book. Will check it out.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Cool thread! Looking forward to the range report.

I never got into Italian firearms other than owning a few cheap .22 and .25 pistols that belonged to my father. He was an antique/ firearms/ militaria collector and shop owner for many years. Before his health started to decline I went with him to set up and sell/trade at many, MANY gun shows / flea markets/ antique markets all over New England. From the mid-80's until about 2005. As he was being transitioned to the Soldier's Home in Chelsea MA where he would live the rest of his life, he gave me everything he had collected over the years. Anything and everything you could possibly imagine in the way of guns/militaria. Particularly of value were the tons of machine gun parts kits, all of which I sold or traded except this one FAL kit that I really wanted to build into a semi auto. Just something to shoot occasionally and remember my dad by. It took months of researching and getting parts, tools and materials but I completed it eventually and it's still one of my favorite rifles.

Name:  fal.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  202.1 KB
    This is from a post-Halloween pumpkin shoot in NH several years back.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Johnate0 View Post
    Cool thread! Looking forward to the range report.

I never got into Italian firearms other than owning a few cheap .22 and .25 pistols that belonged to my father. He was an antique/ firearms/ militaria collector and shop owner for many years. Before his health started to decline I went with him to set up and sell/trade at many, MANY gun shows / flea markets/ antique markets all over New England. From the mid-80's until about 2005. As he was being transitioned to the Soldier's Home in Chelsea MA where he would live the rest of his life, he gave me everything he had collected over the years. Anything and everything you could possibly imagine in the way of guns/militaria. Particularly of value were the tons of machine gun parts kits, all of which I sold or traded except this one FAL kit that I really wanted to build into a semi auto. Just something to shoot occasionally and remember my dad by. It took months of researching and getting parts, tools and materials but I completed it eventually and it's still one of my favorite rifles.

Name:  fal.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  202.1 KB
    This is from a post-Halloween pumpkin shoot in NH several years back.
    Johnate0 —

That is an absolutely awesome rifle! Thanks for sharing the cool story as well. Your dad sounded like a very interesting man. Bet he had collected some really neat stuff over the years.

He didn’t happen to give you any old side-mount scopes/bases or leather rifle slings similar to the ones below?

86 LX Coupe

Johnate0, that FAN is awesome! I've always wanted one, but they're getting rare and expensive.

I went to a gun show last weekend and picked up another one of these Carcanos. Same model....but a 1936 (other one is 1934). Both made in the Brescia factory. I have it taken apart now for cleaning, but haven't had time to put it back together yet, since I'm in the middle of having a garage built. But the wood on this one is near perfect, as is the barrel.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Johnate0, that FAN is awesome! I've always wanted one, but they're getting rare and expensive.

I went to a gun show last weekend and picked up another one of these Carcanos. Same model....but a 1936 (other one is 1934). Both made in the Brescia factory. I have it taken apart now for cleaning, but haven't had time to put it back together yet, since I'm in the middle of having a garage built. But the wood on this one is near perfect, as is the barrel.
    Sounds like you’ve been busy. Good luck with the garage. Love to see some pics of the new gun when your get a chance
    86 LX Coupe

The 91/38 came in a couple days ago. Gunsmith at my FFL didn’t seem interested in helping me with the scope, so I’m gonna try and do the mounting myself. Anyone have any recommendations on good quality drill bits and taps that I can use on a hardened receiver?

I purchased a Weaver N4 3/4” side mount with a (appropriate ford named) C6 4x scope. Overall the scope looks really close to the Ordinance-Optics Japanese scope from Oswald’s setup — at a fraction of what those things bring these days!

Had to modify the mount quite a bit to make it clear the receiver and allow the en-bloc clip to load. My bolt is the later straight-handle and will need to swap out to the earlier curved handle to clear the scope. Already found a source for it.

Here’s it is mocked up after a lot of hammer & dolly work, vise bending, and grinding. Still need to sand it down and do some final filing before re-bluing. Gettin’ there slowly. Just worried about mounting. None of the local gunsmiths want to touch it. Too old. Sounds familiar

What it started out as. Very nice original bluing... too bad it gets ground off!

After a lot of hammering/grinding

Gettin’ there

Starting to look like something

Verified this is gonna work

Pretty awkward setup

91/38 as it looked when received
    86 LX Coupe

Double post
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 09-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Johnate0 —

That is an absolutely awesome rifle! Thanks for sharing the cool story as well. Your dad sounded like a very interesting man. Bet he had collected some really neat stuff over the years.

He didn’t happen to give you any old side-mount scopes/bases or leather rifle slings similar to the ones below?

No there was nothing like that in the lots. I have pretty much sold off the majority of all the stuff he gave me (most of the money from that went to restoring my '83 actually) and only kept a few things for sentimental reasons. One of them is a WWI artillery shell trench art vase. Pretty cool.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Johnate0 View Post
    No there was nothing like that in the lots. I have pretty much sold off the majority of all the stuff he gave me (most of the money from that went to restoring my '83 actually) and only kept a few things for sentimental reasons. One of them is a WWI artillery shell trench art vase. Pretty cool.
    Had to ask. Glad you were able to save a few things to keep for yourself. Nice ‘83 btw
    86 LX Coupe

Finally have the scope mounted. Found a local independent gunsmith who did great work. Very happy with the results.

Name:  car1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  186.4 KB
    Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  222.7 KB

Now the search continues for the correct scope/sling. A couple scopes popped up on eBay recently. One in very rough shape sold for $305 and the other very nice one went for $807!!! People are crazy!
    86 LX Coupe

FEP Member

Looks nice after the bluing. What technique did you use?
    You might want a strap-on cheek piece!

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Looks nice after the bluing. What technique did you use?
    You might want a strap-on cheek piece!
    Thanks! I used Birchwood Casey's cold bluing. I like how easy it is to use. Ended up heating the scope mount up with a propane torch to 'hot blue' it since it was ground down to bare metal and wasn't matching the rest using the cold blue technique. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Interesting you mention the cheek rest. That scope is the most awkward setup.

I'm going to put a few round through it over the holidays and see how it does.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Did these have bayonets?

Disregard i seen it on page 1

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Thanks! I used Birchwood Casey's cold bluing. I like how easy it is to use. Ended up heating the scope mount up with a propane torch to 'hot blue' it since it was ground down to bare metal and wasn't matching the rest using the cold blue technique. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Interesting you mention the cheek rest. That scope is the most awkward setup.

I'm going to put a few round through it over the holidays and see how it does.
    There is a sniper version of the m1, maybe the m1d, that used an offset scope mount to clear the enbloc clip loading. Pretty sure that required a cheek rest.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    There is a sniper version of the m1, maybe the m1d, that used an offset scope mount to clear the enbloc clip loading. Pretty sure that required a cheek rest.
    I’m sure it would for any consistent accuracy.

Some people think Oswald used the iron sights for the 3rd shot. I tend to agree.
    86 LX Coupe

I believe I have a bayonet for this rifle its wood handled
    Are they worth anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    I believe I have a bayonet for this rifle its wood handled
    Are they worth anything?
    Not too much. Some people ask $50-75 for them. The guy at the gun shop I FFL'd it to gave me the bayonet for free. Been sitting on the shelf for years collecting dust. Not too big of a demand I guess?

Thanks for heads up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12