Close

Default 82 Onion Head Strut Mounts

First post here, but long-time proud four-eyed owner. I'm the original owner of a 1982 Mustang (2.3L). It was my daily driver (except in winter, I'm in WI) up until 2014. The body/suspension has 346,000 miles. Been through a few engines and transmissions though! Other than changing struts a few times, I've done nothing to the front suspension. Currently it rides like a lumber wagon up front. So I'm in the process of replacing front end bushings, bearings, struts, etc. I'd like to replace the strut mounts, but it seems the OEM onion head mounts are non-obtanium? It doesn't seem reasonable to replace all of the front suspension rubber **except** the strut mounts, but I'm curious what others have done? Do I have options? I've removed the mounts and the rubber still seems pliable, at least the little bit I can see top and bottom. The steel sleeve is still bound firmly in the rubber. Bumper on the bottom of the mount looks and feels brand new.

I'm also having some difficulty finding replacements for the rubber spring isolators...suggestions?

Anything else I should be watching for as I rebuild the front suspension? Thanks!

Ustabe

If you truly want to keep the onion heads, the only option is used. I am not aware of anyone making them. I looked before I replaced the ones on my Saleen. Mine were worn and causing the car to wander all over the place. I had about 180K on them when I replaced them and they too visually looked to be in good shape. I ended up purchasing a set from Maximum Motorsports. While not original, they made driving my Saleen 1000 times more enjoyable. No more wandering and the handling improved immensely. There are NOS ones on Ebay from time to time but they are expensive.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Hey welcome!
    My car is about the same mileage. 2.3T dd and OE owner too. Nice winter day drives are done.
    2.3's are tough. Have one in the Ranger with even more miles and never has been replaced or rebuilt.
    Has 2nd set of onions. Used to be in the Ford SVO catalog.
    They stay. Recommend keeping yours until replacements are found.
    Read before they are desirable over other stock designs.
    Could go with the plate kits, but would not discard the onions just yet. See what the other changes do.
    As you prob know, an impact is the only way to do the strut top nut.
    The steering rack, tie rods do wear out. Am on rack #3.
    Never replaced the spring isolators. Prob never will unless they disintegrate.
    3rd set of struts, due for 4th set. Current Monroe Sensa-Track all around. Staying with them.
    Ford front A-arms, new rear upper control arms. Both are the updated rubber versions.
    Replaced PS rear lower control arm. Ft bushing was shot. Car wandered bad on off throttle. No more.
    2nd engine (rebuilt), 3rd manual trans. All the brake lines in the truck and most of the car's are replaced.
    Rust is the main issue with both rides. Floor pans, chassis, body.
    NPD and Rock Auto are good sources for parts. Chain stores can be too.

Subframe connectors sure made the car feel much more solid riding.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    There are NOS ones on Ebay from time to time but they are expensive.
    They were also sold under Ford Motorsport. I picked up a NOS set for $40 a while back.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks all, excellent info. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for replacement onion head strut mounts, but in the meantime I'll take gr79's advice and put the originals back in and see if the other replacement parts make the front end ride/handling acceptable. I'm replacing bearings, tie rod ends (inner and outer), end links, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, struts, and ball joints with OEM style parts. Can't hurt to replace this stuff after nearly 40 years and ~350,000 miles. Although I've gotta say that the outer tie rod ends, struts (last replaced in 2004) and ball joints seemed fine both in and out of the vehicle. Inner tie rod ends were **very** loose. Should be done later this week, we'll see if improvements are made.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    They were also sold under Ford Motorsport. I picked up a NOS set for $40 a while back.
    That is a good buy. A month ago a Motorsport set sold for over $400.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Default better version production front end parts

For the record:
    "Onionhead" Front Strut Mount M-18183-H
    2003 Ford Racing Catalog page 133
    "Ford Racing has a limited supply of these mounts originally used on production Mustangs from 1979-83 and SVO Mustang from 1984-86. It is adaptable to 1987-93 Mustangs as well. This mount is still preferred by many enthusiasts since it maintains the position of the strut more precisely during hard cornering."

Someone said they recalled reading onion heads allowed 1" more strut travel over sandwich style.
    Another: The SVO program brought them back for a couple of reasons: 1) they moved the pivot point up ~1" over the biscuit style, which worked better with the Koni struts allowing more travel and 2) they were actually better from an actuation/stiffness standpoint.
    Listed as 35.00 for a pair (typo). Actually were that much for one. I paid 63.00 for two 10/26/2003. Kept the oe set.

Front Lower Control Arm M-3075-A
    Appeared in Ford Performance Equipment, SVO, Motorsport, Racing Catalogs at least for 10 years. 2003 Catalog page 134.
    "This kit enables owners of 1979-93 Mustang/Capri vehicles to upgrade them to 1996 levels with low-friction ball joints and improved inner bushings. Dramatically improves impact harshness qualities of vehicle and is recommended when heavy-duty suspension components are added.
    NOTE: The ball joint in the kit has been upgraded. They have an improved nylon bearing to further reduce impact harshness. (Since no measurable wear could be detected after 250,000 miles of fleet testing, the wear detectors were eliminated). Kit includes LH and RH lower control arm assemblies"

Replaced mine on 5/11/2001 List for two= 195, paid 150.00. Threw out the oe A arms, a mistake. Could have rebuilt them.
    A shop told me once the new arm's ball joint wear detectors were sunk in, showing they were almost worn out.
    As stated above, the wear detectors were eliminated. Good shop, but do not know everything.

There was a M-3075-B version for 1994-98 Mustangs. Upgraded them to 1999 control arms. "Redesigned stamping reduces turning circle aprox. 10%. Retains hydrolastic rear bushing introduced mid 1995 to improve ride and reduce brake shudder."

Did replace the oe TRX shocks and struts with Monroe blue or yellow back in the 80's. Not quite the same ride.
    Third set are Monroe Sensa-Trac. Car immediately felt right again. Same roads driven when car had 24k on it in 1980.
    Now called Monroe Spectrum, same p/n.
    Picked up the Monroe 63620 strut boot kit for the new struts (when i get them).

Put on MM caster/camber plates

you won’t regret it

Lost???.. My son and I are upgrading the brakes/suspension on our 1981. Will be a daily driver... Going the usual 89 & Fox body 4 lug set up. From what we are finding out (?).. The "Onion" head strut balls are near non existent. New struts are needed. Can we use the 89+ rubber mounting kit if the "onions" are not usable.. It looks like there would be no BIG issue

Quote Originally Posted by mikeAZ View Post
    Lost???.. My son and I are upgrading the brakes/suspension on our 1981. Will be a daily driver... Going the usual 89 & Fox body 4 lug set up. From what we are finding out (?).. The "Onion" head strut balls are near non existent. New struts are needed. Can we use the 89+ rubber mounting kit if the "onions" are not usable.. It looks like there would be no BIG issue
    Not mine but I suspect gone in 5, 4, 3, 2... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1986-Ford-Mustang-SVO-Strut-Mount-Onion-Heads-Saleen-Ford-Motorsport/224238831085?hash=item3435ad05ed:gaAAAOSwGLVftJiv
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0