Close

Default 82 GT Resto Question

Restoring an 82 GT in the Med Red body color. My question is this: is the area below the black cowl vents between the rear of the hood and the windshield supposed to be body color, or is it supposed to be blacked out? Thanks in advance.

The plastic cowl panel is black in color. Otherwise, the inner cowl area was body color and not blacked out.

Bill S.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    The plastic cowl panel is black in color. Otherwise, the inner cowl area was body color and not blacked out.

Bill S.
    Yes knew that about the cowl itself, but wasn’t sure about the inner cowl area. This is very helpful; thanks very much!!

Most of the exposed cowl areas I've seen were more of the gray primer color than anything else. Kinda like the area under a factory rear spoiler. Maybe some overspray, but not a solid body color, at least one what I've seen.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Here is a picture of my 82 GT when being torn apart. You can see the inside of the cowl is black just like the body color.

Name:  2016-07-20 16.43.27.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  290.3 KB

Here is essentially the same view of my 82 RS when being torn apart. Again you can see the inside of the cowl is body color of the dark blue.

Name:  2018-08-27 17.08.02.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  288.4 KB

In my experience all the inside of the cowls are painted the body color. The coverage is pretty good at the large cowl opening and the smaller opening to the left. If you look deeper inside the cowl you will see that there can be gray primer most times and some color over spray. The color will not be solid for the entire cowl. You can tell that either an assembly work, or the paint robots point the gun inside the cowl and hit everything as best they can rapidly and move on to the next vehicle. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller